[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
majel

Packing models

Posted (edited)

What is the best method for packing models in a suitcase to assure they survive an airplane trip?  I was thinking of wrapping them in micro fiber towels,and bubble wrap over that and put them in a small plastic tote.  One of them has a PE hinged hood that does not close.  I would really like them to arrive in one piece.  Any suggestions?

Edited by majel

How many are you talking about? If just a couple, I would pack them in there boxes and carry them on

There's seven models, six 1/25 and one 1/16, too many to carry on.

Consider cotton batting wrap and slip each one into a mailing tube.  A sheet of paper over the batting will make it easier to slip in the tube.

I don't know what your experience with travel have been like, but if you can't get in carry on I would ship them some other way. I have seen aluminum hard side suite cases ripped open by the time they get to the luggage area. I think the air lines use wood chipper machines to load the language in an air plane. 

I've traveled from the east coast to GSL in Utah a number of times.  I've only taken one model each trip.  I carefully packed it in a promo box with ample padding, and then put that in my carry on bag that went under my seat.  Even in the overhead, I've watched dolts crush everyone else's luggage by shoving theirs into too small a place. Never ever in checked baggage!

One year one of the guys in my club asked if I'd take some of his models to GSL.  "Gee, take my tractor trailers and my race team please!"   Um, nope! 

You might consider some foam blocks to try to hold that PE hinged hood in place so it can't move around.  Sounds like a scary proposition.  I worry enough when I pack things sold on ebay to ship through USPS.

On 3/15/2019 at 11:52 AM, espo said:

I don't know what your experience with travel have been like, but if you can't get in carry on I would ship them some other way. 

I quite agree. If you put models in a checked bag, that will not be models when they arrive. Find a local, ship your stuff to him with no more than two models per box.

Well in my experience 3 years ago,  I traveled from Ontario, Canada to London, England.  I brought over 4 1/25 scale built kits to enter in a IPMS Birmingham show.  What I did was I took a show case turned upside down so the base is on top and put paper towel on the bottom and sides, place model in case and packed paper towel on top then put a good elastic.  Then I put them in my carry on,  pack clothing around the cases and handled it myself only no one else touched it.  Made it safe and sound there and back and sitting in my show case at home to this very day.  That how I would do it again.

I've traveled a lot, and I would never put an assembled model in checked baggage. It doesn't matter how you pack it, it simply won't survive. You might get it there intact if you put them in a coffin. They will treat those with respect. But otherwise, they're graded by how fast they load baggage. Not how gently. 

20 hours ago, DumpyDan said:

Well in my experience 3 years ago,  I traveled from Ontario, Canada to London, England.  I brought over 4 1/25 scale built kits to enter in a IPMS Birmingham show.  What I did was I took a show case turned upside down so the base is on top and put paper towel on the bottom and sides, place model in case and packed paper towel on top then put a good elastic.  Then I put them in my carry on,  pack clothing around the cases and handled it myself only no one else touched it.  Made it safe and sound there and back and sitting in my show case at home to this very day.  That how I would do it again.

And even then you need to be careful.  I remember one flight where some nood-nick was trying to cram a too large carry on into an already full overhead bin with people screaming at him.  He certainly would've damaged anything fragile in soft luggage.

4 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

And even then you need to be careful.  I remember one flight where some nood-nick was trying to cram a too large carry on into an already full overhead bin with people screaming at him.  He certainly would've damaged anything fragile in soft luggage.

Naaaah, that doesn't happen does it? LOL!!! I see that done on every flight I take, what a bunch of jar heads.

Some airlines tout their "special handling" of checked in pets. Totally off the wall, but if you packed the models in a pet carrier along with a pup riding shotgun perhaps they'd have a better chance.

Just need a dog and your set.

No dog, so I've decided to try these snap together plastic totes, wrap the cars best i can and take them as a carry on.  Hopefully it works!

IMG_20190322_214801.jpg

20 hours ago, majel said:

No dog, so I've decided to try these snap together plastic totes, wrap the cars best i can and take them as a carry on.  Hopefully it works!

Wrap the models tight!  On one trip from NJ to Salt Lake, I stood there and watched my carry on (with my model inside)  fall off the end of the xray station belt because the lady behind me was slow getting through the xray  scanner herself!