Real or model?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Real or model?

• Real
    • Model

How about this? Real or model?

The answer FRIDAY!

ROM53-1.jpg

The wheels cant be model... but the sahading looks weird and photoshopped, and the contours to the front tire... but then the trim on the rear side "window" looks like an easily forgettable detail on a model.., but then something makes it look background-tampered.... the window trim looks very real.....the paint masking looks a little off on the front.... and this is driving me crazy!!

Got a lot of you!

It's REAL! It's a 1998 Subaru Samba, a tiny VW lookalike that belongs in a Japanese class of tiny cars known as "kei" cars. These Sambas are often disguised to look like baby VW vans by adding a VW logo to the front. A few more examples:

35af_27.jpg

296819.jpg

CarScoop_VWB_S_4.jpg

296879.jpg

GungHoVW_494.jpg

Next ROM coming Monday!

The article you linked to is about custom made little vans. The van I posted isn't a custom or aftermarket van, it's from the Subaru factory. In Japan they have a whole class of these tiny cars, they're called "kei" cars. They got their start after WWII, when people in post-war Japan couldn't afford "real" cars, yet needed transportation. The kei cars were more than a motorcycle, but less than a "real" car, and the Japanese automakers promoted them as a means to grow the Japanese car industry after the war.

Regulations limit the size, displacement (less than 660cc) and power of these little cars, but they're still popular in Japan because of small, narrow roads and limited parking space in urban areas.

Harry, are you sure they come from Subaru that way? I can't imagine VW letting their licensing arm allow Subaru to build pseudo-VW's like that, especially w/a VW logo.. The Japanese do a lot of customizing.

Edit: Found the website of the company that makes them. Definitely not coming from Subaru.

VW Bus Replica on Kei Car

I found a few listings for them for sale, and they're listed as aftermarket.

Only the Kei Car website (where I guess you got the image) seems to say they were factory, but that website doesn't convince me just because they claim it. Automakers are very protective of their trademarks, especially VW.

Edited by Zoom Zoom