Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stacked Workbench

SCRWDRVR

55 minutes ago, Kool Kat said:

Looking good, that color works on it. I have one in the same shade....

It definitely is a great color for it, I was very happy with the outcome 

24 minutes ago, Scott8950 said:

ha If i do more than one i get sidetracked bigtime. I've been on a buying streak lately. i keep bringing projects home lol. bought these yesterday. the gto is a screw bottom..

20190316_170002.jpg

Like the projects Scott a few of which are on my locate list, 4 of these are rehabs from old builds of my own 3 of which were my fist attempts at stripping a body...

I stopped trying to build multi kits at the same time years ago. Seemed like nothing ever got finished and I would change my mind on the direction of the builds half way through. I'm still not a speedy builder but I do finish one before I start another. 

34 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

I am currently working on 4 models. Impatience is my worst enemy. I find if I have multiples on the go, I can leave one alone while things dry. Or I can set it aside and reflect on what I want to do.

That was why I started doing it mostly so I could let things dry that way I could sit there for hours working on them with never having to stop.....

2 hours ago, Jantrix said:

I have many in the works, BUT ONLY ONE MODEL ON THE BENCH AT A TIME!!!!!!

Same here... Well not many, maybe, but more than a handful. If I put one build aside for a while, then it's probably due to the fact that I am fed up with it for one reason or another. And that means it will probably take months before I'll get back to it. Continously switching between several active builds doesn't work for me, I need to stay focussed on one main project. And I manage to stack my workbench anyway, with only 1 kit on it, and tools, paints, etc... :rolleyes:

Only 8 a time? You need a bigger workbench. Lol

Actually, I've resigned myself to the fact that the fun is in the building, not the end count that matters. Building is the stress valve that I need, required deadlines to complete them just makes it another job.

Besides, once they're finished and displayed, they invariably get broken and then they go back in a box again anyway. Vicious cycle.

2 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Only 8 a time? You need a bigger workbench. Lol

Actually, I've resigned myself to the fact that the fun is in the building, not the end count that matters. Building is the stress valve that I need, required deadlines to complete them just makes it another job.

Besides, once they're finished and displayed, they invariably get broken and then they go back in a box again anyway. Vicious cycle.

I agree I never set a time line, thats why they are in cases while I work on them so they dont get dusting when they sit. That way when I have time I can work on them for hours and not get board waiting for stuff to dry...

44 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Actually, I've resigned myself to the fact that the fun is in the building, not the end count that matters.

This is exactly why I build. In fact...the only reason I want to finish some projects is so I can start more!!

My 14 yr old son and I are an assembly line team, I modify and kitbash the car ideas I have in my head, he and I work at painting them together, then he finishes building them. That's his favorite part anyway, he wants to see them on display. And he gets the satisfaction of the finished product. Me - I hate the tedium of final assembly, just stifles my creativity. I don't know what I'll do after he grows up an moves on, but it's fun for now.

I try to "force" my daughter to like building cars (just kidding), but it's just not her "bag man". Actually, she likes helping me work on the real cars and fixing up the house. So maybe her talents are better used in other ways. ?

Edited by Oldcarfan27

There is no right answer, we are all individuals with different perspectives!

Personally I am a one at a time guy.  I like to feel the model as if it's a 1:1.  I sit back and sweat the small details and make sure I am okay with the process as art. I've had a dozen sets of tire and wheels on it. I've spoon tested a number of different shades of the same color.  Once it's done, I place the model in the place of honor (in my den up next to the big screen TV) so I can revel in the final product.  I have to "feel" the model, like a car I'd want to own in 1:1.  I dunno, that's just me.

Lately I've had time on my hands so I've been finishing up models that have long been on my unfinished model shelf.  At a pace where I want to slow it down to process it all!   It's like that models don't sit in that place of honor next to the big screen long enough for me to fully enjoy them!  

I know guys who will build a load of models at the same time, spray four of them the same color until the can runs out.  It almost seems like they are assembling puzzles,  they don't add details or wire engines. I don't get that. But it's not me.   

Note that I'm not downing anyone, just trying to understand the process and motivation.

What do you think?

Edited by Tom Geiger

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

There is no right answer, we are all individuals with different perspectives!

Personally I am a one at a time guy.  I like to feel the model as if it's a 1:1.  I sit back and sweat the small details and make sure I am okay with the process as art. I've had a dozen sets of tire and wheels on it. I've spoon tested a number of different shades of the same color.  Once it's done, I place the model in the place of honor (in my den up next to the big screen TV) so I can revel in the final product.  I have to "feel" the model, like a car I'd want to own in 1:1.  I dunno, that's just me.

Lately I've had time on my hands so I've been finishing up models that have long been on my unfinished model shelf.  At a pace where I want to slow it down to process it all!   It's like that models don't sit in that place of honor next to the big screen long enough for me to fully enjoy them!  

I know guys who will build a load of models at the same time, spray four of them the same color until the can runs out.  It almost seems like they are assembling puzzles,  they don't add details or wire engines. I don't get that. But it's not me.   

Note that I'm not downing anyone, just trying to understand the process and motivation.

What do you think?

Definitely no right answer, I will paint 3 or 4 cars at a time but each one will be a different color picked for that kit, I only reuse a color if I happen to have something I think it will look good on, every one of the 8 on my desk are a different color.

I don't get that assembling a puzzle thing either each one for me is it's own and these days really enjoy doing OEM cars that are not modified but I have start adding plug wires and such again 

21 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

Same here... Well not many, maybe, but more than a handful. If I put one build aside for a while, then it's probably due to the fact that I am fed up with it for one reason or another. And that means it will probably take months before I'll get back to it. Continously switching between several active builds doesn't work for me, I need to stay focussed on one main project. And I manage to stack my workbench anyway, with only 1 kit on it, and tools, paints, etc... :rolleyes:

"Fed up with" and "staying focused" are the two key elements for me from your statement. I have found that I get less fed up and stay focused better when I put less customization and fabrication into the model. That's where I get into the most trouble. I hit a design issue, a fitment issue that came out of knowhere, or a "that doesn't look like it did in my head" issue. All those will end up back on the shelf for years sometimes. If I can come up with an idea that inspires that doesn't require a lot of re-engineering, I am much more successful in my modeling. Choosing the right kits plays a big part in that too. Some might think of that as a cowards way out, but to me it's a choice between something under glass and not in a box.

There is nothing wrong with walking away from a project.  There are times I lose interest in a build or as Tommy said  "get fed up with it".  There are times I've painted myself into a corner and don't see a solution.  Instead of hitting the wall with it, pack it up and put it away!  This isn't work you are forced to finish, it's a hobby!  

Lately I've been taking those unfinished projects and revisiting them. I've finished a number of them recently.  There are projects  I didn't see a solution for, and now pulling it out of the box, I immediately solve the issue that had stalled me.  Either greater skills learned over the years since then, or just fresh eyes on the project.  So put it away!  There will always be another day!