Model Cars Magazine Forum

22 hours ago, martin9428 said:

very nice job

Thanks Scott !

20 hours ago, Slimguy said:

You did a great job on the paint...the effect on the teeth really makes it stand out.  I like the idea you had with the RC tail lights in the eyes.  Very cool

Thanks David !

8 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Looks great! 

Thanks much Scott ! :)

Edited by TooOld

11 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

Bob that's a Cool night light!

Is this a kit or,..?What scale is it ?

It's the recently reissued Tom Daniel kit by Atlantis Hobby .  The finished model measures approx 5-1/2 inches tall not including the spike . :)

Great job Bob!  A few questions if I may:

1.  What brand of paint did you use?

2.  What paint colours did you use?

3.  How well were the parts chromed?

4.  Do the stickers adhere well to the chrome?  Do they stay stuck?

5.  Do you have to do anything special to the chrome to make the stickers stick?

Peter

17 hours ago, showrods said:

Great job Bob!  A few questions if I may:

1.  What brand of paint did you use?

2.  What paint colours did you use?

3.  How well were the parts chromed?

4.  Do the stickers adhere well to the chrome?  Do they stay stuck?

5.  Do you have to do anything special to the chrome to make the stickers stick?

Peter

Thanks Peter !  I used acrylic craft paints I picked up at Michael's . A couple of coats of Ivory on the skull then sprayed with some Dull-Cote . Then I mixed a wash using some Raw Umber and applied a few coats until the desired effect was achieved .

The chrome is excellent in this kit , some of the best I've ever seen in a kit .  Considering Atlantis doesn't normally do kits with any chrome this is a pleasant surprise !  The stickers are also excellent , the adhesive sticks immediately so there's no second chances here . Better get it right the first time ! :D

1 hour ago, TooOld said:

Thanks Peter !  I used acrylic craft paints I picked up at Michael's . A couple of coats of Ivory on the skull then sprayed with some Dull-Cote . Then I mixed a wash using some Raw Umber and applied a few coats until the desired effect was achieved .

The chrome is excellent in this kit , some of the best I've ever seen in a kit .  Considering Atlantis doesn't normally do kits with any chrome this is a pleasant surprise !  The stickers are also excellent , the adhesive sticks immediately so there's no second chances here . Better get it right the first time ! :D

Thanks for the reply Bob.  

I second the poster above's comments regarding your job on the teeth - well done.  What paints and techniques did you use on those?

I'm looking for techniques to use when I get this kit myself.  It hasn't arrived yet in Canada yet - at least not in my neck the woods.

3 hours ago, showrods said:

Thanks for the reply Bob.  

I second the poster above's comments regarding your job on the teeth - well done.  What paints and techniques did you use on those?

I'm looking for techniques to use when I get this kit myself.  It hasn't arrived yet in Canada yet - at least not in my neck the woods.

That's easy , the teeth are the unpainted plastic . They received a wash the same time as the skull .

1 hour ago, TooOld said:

That's easy , the teeth are the unpainted plastic . They received a wash the same time as the skull .

So Bob - when you say "unpainted plastic" did you paint the teeth directly on unprimed plastic or were the teeth primered and then painted with the Raw Umber wash?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...