Model Cars Magazine Forum

1949 Ford - sectioned with a fade

mr moto

This is the AMT '49 Ford coupe (great kit, I think) sectioned about 3/16". Back in the 50's, the shoebox Fords were probably the most frequently customized cars and definitely the most often sectioned. It turns out to be a lot of trouble - even in 1/25 scale but the low look is worth it.

Paint is Duplicolor Metal Cast decanted and shot through a Grex. The grill is from a '57 Chrysler 300C and front turn signals are actually the stock taillights re-purposed.

Hope you like!

IMGP4373.JPG.ccee271ae850fb7d0fd66cb98ba86b13.JPG

IMGP4376.JPG.51091478a72c8c8dcd6735548b9335b7.JPG

IMGP4367.JPG.56a32c4b464514b6bc5a284ee84c6cd9.JPG

IMGP4371.JPG.fbbc2a5116d7ff112fc4ae68bebf6eb6.JPG

IMGP4374.JPG.9e47eefb50fad2aff2590a6437f74340.JPG

IMGP4378.JPG.ae4be9eb002982daf2ee9dd1d845d000.JPG

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Wow! You gave it a Euro Ghia treatment!   Very cool!

Great observation. I could not come up with the a good description but you nailed it. Definitely a very unique sectioned shoebox which is what customizing is all about.

Ultra slick! For a while now I've been wanting to do a Euro sportster/Ghia/Comete-styled '49 Ford, but you beat me to it :D

Love the fade job and Keystones, and the Chrysler grille works surprisingly well. Smooth integration of the nerf bars too--how were those done? Are they optional parts from another kit, or sprue, or ???

The molded side trim/accent line is inspired--I almost missed it because it's disguised somewhat by the paintjob. Love how it blends into the fender flares.

Do you have WIP pics of this model?

20 hours ago, Spex84 said:

Ultra slick! For a while now I've been wanting to do a Euro sportster/Ghia/Comete-styled '49 Ford, but you beat me to it :D

Love the fade job and Keystones, and the Chrysler grille works surprisingly well. Smooth integration of the nerf bars too--how were those done? Are they optional parts from another kit, or sprue, or ???

The molded side trim/accent line is inspired--I almost missed it because it's disguised somewhat by the paintjob. Love how it blends into the fender flares.

Do you have WIP pics of this model?

First, thanks to everybody for the compliments. Feels good to be appreciated!

The nerfs (and the side molding) are made from half-round Evergreen styrene. Very simple to do! The side molding is there mainly to emphasize the horizontal for the center section of the body. I've noticed that on a lot of 1:1 sectioned Fords the overhangs look too shallow compared to the center section of the body so I used the molding, the flares and the paint fade to emphasize the horizontal in the center and the vertical at the ends.

I do have some WIPs of the build that I can post later. Didn't take as many as I often do, however.

Great looking kustom. I are correct about the little shoe box Fords getting customized. They were inexpensive and plentiful. Many of your modifications are long the lines of the old traditional style. The things I see that really bring it to a more present day are the Chrysler grill and the sun roof. The paint is really outstanding also.