Model Cars Magazine Forum

1990 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 Drag Racer

mrmike

The Story

McNally takes Calvin to The Comet Diner for breakfast.  He knows that since he retired and the recent death of his wife of 52 years, he doesn't get out much.  Calvin announces that he doesn't have any money for breakfast and McNally tells him that it is his treat.  Calvin tells McNally how retirement has limited his income and he is trying to save every spare penny he can for his children, but they don't visit him anymore.  While the Boston PI is no expert at relationships, he says to just call one of his children and just shoot the breeze with them.  Keep calling them over time and add a little more to the conversation until they seem ready to talk about some of the heavy things involving the family.  He just needs to take it a little bit at a time.

The Build

The body got another coat of paint today and the hood was repainted.  The rear spoiler/wing got a coat of Tamiya TS-17 Gloss Aluminium.

McNally will return...

Racer5.022.JPG

Racer5.023.JPG

Racer5.024.JPG

The Story

McNally pulls into his driveway and stops the Challenger and he and Calvin get out.  Calvin thanks McNally for breakfast and heads over to his house to let his dog, Max out.  Meanwhile, Artie is arraigned from his hospital bed that he is handcuffed to.  His bail is revoked and his Mustang has been impounded pending the outcome of his trial.  Once he is better, he will be transported to the County Jail.

The Build

I polished the paint on the hood and body of the Mustang, then I masked and painted the trim with Tamiya Semi-Gloss Black paint.

McNally will return...

Racer5.025.JPG

Racer5.026.JPG

Racer5.027.JPG

It's the scale equivalent to a bass boat paint!  LOL  Testors Icy Blue Lacquer!

The Story

Later that night, McNally is sound asleep in bed when his phone starts ringing.  He answers the phone and it's Adam calling him.  "I just got a Police Bulletin and Artie Jacobsen escaped from the Hospital.  A nurse was changing some bandages, realized that she needed some additinal supplies and left Artie uncuffed.  He escaped about 20 minutes ago.  Keep an eye out for him as he may be coming back to your house." 

McNally thanks Adam for calling and he gets up and gets dressed.  He grabs his Walther PPKs from its hiding spot next to his bed and a flashlight when he hears a noise downstairs.  He walks down the stairs and then he feels a draft coming from the kitchen sliding door.  "Come out with your hands up."  Then a dark clothed figure comes running at him with his Louisville Slugger in his hand and McNally fires the Walther three times and the figure falls to the floor.

He turns the living room light on and goes over to the figure and feels for a pulse.  Nothing.  He turns the figure over and its Artie Jacobsen.  He takes the telephone from the kitchen and calls 9-1-1 then he calls Adam at home.

The Build

I got the Mustang decaled.  There are some decals for the nose of the Mustang, but I didn't use them since I like them this way.  I may add the rest of the decals later if I change my mind.  The interior and the chassis are almost complete.  I need to find two 5-point harnesses for the seats.

McNally will return...

Racer5.030.JPG

Racer5.029.JPG

Racer5.028.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

The Story

Lt. Det. Adam Troy drives down Dardenvale St. and stops at the tapeline surrounding McNally's house.  He walks up to the front door and he sees the corpse lying on the floor in the living room and the Coroner preforming his exam of the body.  The Coroner acknowledges Lt. Troy who asks where McNally is.  The Coroner says he is around the corner in his office and Adam carefully walks around the body and into McNally's office where he is typing his statement on his computer.  Adam notices an open beer sitting on the desk and he asks how many McNally has had.

"Just the one and I took only one swig out of it."  McNally prints the statement out and staples the two pages together and hands it to Adam and then he says, "I need some air."  They walk over to the slider door and walk outside after looking at the lock on the door which is broken again.  He'll place the wooden 2X4 in the track again to lock the door for the night.  Adam asks his friend if he is okay and McNally tells Adam that he is tired, but okay.  

The Build

I worked on the Mustang last week and though I tried to get the front decals to bend down on the front valance, that didn't work.  I ran the decals across the front per the instructions after I painted it with Tamiya X-18 Semi-Gloss Black.  The right side decal is missing the white stripe on the center rear of the decal.  I tried to paint it with some white paint and made a bit of a mess which I'll have to clean up.  I had the hood pin kit set aside for this project and I found a set of racing seat harnesses at NNL East 2019.

McNally will return...

Racer5.031.JPG

Racer5.032.JPG

Racer5.033.JPG

Thanks Ron!  I started on some racing seat harnesses this afternoon and got two shoulder straps made in an hour.  Not bad when you consider that I have never made these before.  I was going for the crotch belts when that piece went flying through the air, so I decided to quit.  I found the crotch buckle later when I was cleaning up the bench.  I'll give it another go tomorrow.

The Story

McNally's neighbor Calvin comes out of his house after wondering why all the flashing lights.  McNally explains that Artie had broke into his house again and he had shot him.  Cal says that if McNally needs anything, to just come on over and knock on his door and McNally thanks him for the offer.  Det. Darvell calls Lt. Troy into the house and the Boston PI stands in his driveway thinking and staring at the flashing lights on the Coroner's van.

The next morning finds McNally driving to Artie's apartment in Chelsea.  He goes up to Artie's apartment and finds the hallway filled with some furniture and other stuff.  Artie's girlfriend is in the process of moving out.  She has had enough of Artie's racing and his single minded foolishness.  McNally tries to talk to her and explain why he shot him, but she wasn't stopping to listen.  She wanted out of the apartment.

The Build

I spent almost an hour trying to assemble the racing harnesses.  This is as far as I got.  The second belt was a little easier once I figured out a way to get it assembled.  These little pieces went flying into the air and I knew I had to stop when that happened.  I'll get back to these soon.

McNally will return...

Racer5.034.JPG

Racer5.035.JPG

Racer5.036.JPG

The Story

McNally heads back to Boston and stops at Boston Police Headquarters.  In Lt. Det. Troy's office he fills out a statement and signs it for Adam.  As he is leaving, Det. Darvell stops him out in the hallway.  "Did you bait him to come in?"  "No detective, I didn't.  He broke in on his own."  "You sure you didn't bait him?"  "If you have evidence that says I did, then arrest me, Darvell!"  Darvell who was surprised by McNally's statement to him, just turns and waddles back into Homicide.

The Build

One down, one to go...

McNally will return...

Racer5.037.JPG

Racer5.038.JPG

Racer5.039.JPG

The Story

McNally stops at a church near his home and he goes inside.  Halfway inside the church, he stops and sits in a pew and he starts to pray for Artie Jacobson.  First time for everything.  After about 15 minutes, he gets up and leaves the church and drives to see his attorney, Charlotte Rothmann at her office.  He is looking for some work and to talk with her. 

Charlie doesn't have any work for the Boston PI, so he bends her ear for a few minutes.  He tells her about the entire incident and the end result from last night.  He tells her about ending a life that shouldn't have ended, but the choices that Artie made set him up for failure.  After hearing his tale, Charlie gets up from her desk and hugs McNally, telling him that he did right and that he stopped a criminal from doing more harm.  McNally thanks Charlie for listening and he leaves her office and heads for home.

The Build

I have finished my WIP of a '90 Mustang LX 5.0 Racer.  I would like to thank all those who have taken the time to view and to comment on my WIP.

Racer5.040.JPG

Racer5.041.JPG

Racer5.042.JPG

Racer5.045.JPG

Racer5.043.JPG

Racer5.044.JPG

Racer5.046.JPG

Racer5.047.JPG

Racer5.048.JPG

Racer5.049.JPG