Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mickey Thompson "MonoCoque" Mustang F/C: On the Workbench 3/21/19

Hello......I am going to make this  Mickey Thompson "MonoCoque" Mustang F/C ......I have always wanted to build this F/C......I bought a 1/16 Mustang F/C body from Mike Garland, I will have to modify the body to resemble the 1:1 F/C.......I also bought a 428 Boss engine from Shapeways 3D Printing......I will add some Sobak Designs to dress up  the  engine........I also bought some Greg Fox resin Slicks......and Reliable resin wheels.......and a special thank you to Mark and Mary for the outstanding reference pictures .....thank you so very much.......I will have to scratch build everything else.......thanks for looking

49993235-992-HISTORIC-MICKEY-THOMPSON-FU

wPd_2RqBediceDFkC6yTAQs880_zpswtfvavmg.j

22554931_1455387054576081_13723501351880

DSCF0465_zpsvawxnhw3.jpg

• Like 1

Big ol' grin on my face John.   This is one I too always wanted to build.  If it weren't for you building it in 1/16th scale, I would be happy to send some parts I've accumulated for this particular car,  but I only have 1/25th stuff......sorry.   I can't wait to see this beauty come together.  I'll check to see if I have any pics I can email you.  I do have a copy of an original Hot Rod? article on the car if you think that might help ya'.   Cheers

What I find interesting about this car and the Barry Setzer dragster is how many modelers want to build a copy but yet they were a dismal failure. I've got the dragster started and the M/T car is on my I'd build if I could figure out the decals list.

Hi Mr Teresi!

I've been a fan of your spectacular builds for many years. Imressive! I look forward to see your golden touch on  Thompson's monocoque funny car.

I had the same interest for that rare beast, since I was a subscriber to HotRod in the 60's. As a teenager, I gave a shot at this famous car, sacrificing a "regular" Mustang FC in the process. The result was as you could expect from a 14 years old enthusiast... And the car was ultimately lost in a basement flood. Fast forward to 2014, and upon returning to the hobby after 30 some years off, I decided to try it again. 

I used the Tommy Grove (or Gas Rhonda) Mustang FC, since the body is of good quality, and already has the typical FC proportions "built in". The Tommy Grove kit was also the basic supplier for the mechanical bits. Therefore, it is not an exact replica, but rather an "hommage" to this unique car. 

Included are a few pix of the construction, and the finished car. 

I will follow your built with great interest!

Claude Thibodeau 

hiver 2014 mustang +home 008.jpg

hiver 2014 mustang +home 015.jpg

hiver 2014 mustang +home 032.jpg

hiver 2014 mustang +home 043.jpg

DSCF3061.JPG

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Mr Teresi!

I've been a fan of your spectacular builds for many years. Imressive! I look forward to see your golden touch on  Thompson's monocoque funny car.

I had the same interest for that rare beast, since I was a subscriber to HotRod in the 60's. As a teenager, I gave a shot at this famous car, sacrificing a "regular" Mustang FC in the process. The result was as you could expect from a 14 years old enthusiast... And the car was ultimately lost in a basement flood. Fast forward to 2014, and upon returning to the hobby after 30 some years off, I decided to try it again. 

I used the Tommy Grove (or Gas Rhonda) Mustang FC, since the body is of good quality, and already has the typical FC proportions "built in". The Tommy Grove kit was also the basic supplier for the mechanical bits. Therefore, it is not an exact replica, but rather an "hommage" to this unique car. 

Included are a few pix of the construction, and the finished car. 

I will follow your built with great interest!

Claude Thibodeau 

hiver 2014 mustang +home 008.jpg

hiver 2014 mustang +home 015.jpg

hiver 2014 mustang +home 032.jpg

hiver 2014 mustang +home 043.jpg

DSCF3061.JPG

Claude.....thank you for the kind comment......Very cool looking model ........I have to make a lot changes to the Mike Garland resin body that I am using.....it’s a 1969 body and the 1:1 car used a 1970 body .....they are very different  between a 1969 and a 1970.......I will be making as many changes as possible ......it won’t be an exact replica of the 1:1 body but, I’ll try and get it as close as possible ......it is quite a challenge to convert the body...   thanks for looking

Hello.......Thank you all so very much for the kind comments I really Do appreciate them:).......I got a good start on the body work........I removed the the rear spoiler and re-shaped the rear window and made louvers for the rear window......I also re-shaped the front end to look like a 1970 Mach1.......and made a grill like the 1:1 car........I also cut the body in 1/2 to prop up.......I will make the tail lights next  and then start to re-shape some areas......it won't be perfect but, good enough for the girls I go with......thanks for looking

DSCF0480_zpskilyvntb.jpg

DSCF0483_zpspxsa5gsv.jpg

DSCF0482_zpsbo3uigqu.jpg

DSCF0485_zpsqfazwvtu.jpg

DSCF0484_zpsh25mltqi.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

If I may ask, why use a resin pro mod body that's nothing like the original ?

Would have been much more accurate to use the recent Polar lights funny car body as a starting point

just asking

Did Polar Lights make a 1/16 scale '70 Mustang?