Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mickey Thompson "MonoCoque" Mustang F/C: On the Workbench 3/21/19

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi have lots of before and after pictures of this car when we had it in the shop during the restoration/preservation.  Brought to us by his son(?) and it was in really bad shape but it was a fun challenge to bring it to how you see it today.

When the car came in it originally had black wrap padding around all the bars on the roll cage.  That went in the trash the first day.  At the end of the day I pulled it out and kept it.  I still have it today wrapped in a bag out in the garage.

I took a picture of the car the minute it came in the shop.

I remember the blower ( right side rear ) had a huge hole in it the size of a baseball from a. blower explosion and we filled it - then repainted it.  The blower is empty inside with no guts - display only car.  We took it out to Bakersfield

and put it on the starting line where I took some really great photos of it.

I'll find the pics and post some if you want to see it in its rough stage and finished stage. It was fun project working on this car.  I've worked on Ivo's cars, Prudhomme and many others during my career.

Bill - corbettclassics

22554931_1455387054576081_137235013518801714_n_zpsujanqcew.jpg.5b2b62202648ea021c142db5843f06fe.jpg

Edited by MAGIC MUFFLER
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MAGIC MUFFLER said:

Hi have lots of before and after pictures of this car when we had it in the shop during the restoration/preservation.  Brought to us by his son(?) and it was in really bad shape but it was a fun challenge to bring it to how you see it today.

When the car came in it originally had black wrap padding around all the bars on the roll cage.  That went in the trash the first day.  At the end of the day I pulled it out and kept it.  I still have it today wrapped in a bag out in the garage.

I remember the blower ( right side rear ) had a huge hole in it the size of a baseball from a. blower explosion and we filled it - then repainted it.  The blower is empty inside with no guts - display only car.  We took it out to Bakersfield

I'll find the pics and post some if you want to see it in its rough stage and finished stage. It was fun project working on this car.  I've worked on Ivo's cars, Prudhomme and many others during my career.

Bill - corbettclassics

22554931_1455387054576081_137235013518801714_n_zpsujanqcew.jpg.5b2b62202648ea021c142db5843f06fe.jpg

Bill....that would be great if you posted the pics.....I haven’t forgot about this build.....just took a little break from it....I plan on getting back to this build soon.

thanks

2 hours ago, MAGIC MUFFLER said:

Bill - corbettclassics

Quit being a tease. post away

Ok - I found some pictures but they are the old film type.  So, I had to take a picture of a picture and they are not the clearest but you can see what we went through.  It was a lot of disassembly and reassembly of just about everything.

I'm downloading them so I can post a few for you.

Here's one of me wiping it down at the California Hot Rod Reunion.  I was responsible for the Rambunctious as well as many others that we had there on display from the NHRA Museum.  I worked in the museum for about 12 yrs.

IMG_3549.thumb.JPG.e66852cc2fdb70b52b5cb78d98c6fcd1.JPG

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MAGIC MUFFLER said:

Ok - I found some pictures but they are the old film type.  So, I had to take a picture of a picture and they are not the clearest but you can see what we went through.  It was a lot of disassembly and reassembly of just about everything.

I'm downloading them so I can post a few for you.

Here's one of me wiping it down at the California Hot Rod Reunion.  I was responsible for the Rambunctious as well as many others that we had there on display from the NHRA Museum.  I worked in the museum for about 12 yrs.

IMG_3549.thumb.JPG.e66852cc2fdb70b52b5cb78d98c6fcd1.JPG

Very cool Bill

--->

Here's a couple pics from my wall of a few cars I've worked on with many signed.  You can see the article on the wall ( 2nd from left - 3 pics ) written on the MT car when we finished it next to Ivo's signed pics.  I worked on Ivo's 4 engine car many times for Tommy, the twin engine, the T-bucket etc.  Also pics of me with the Hirohata Merc, Leno's cars ( misc cars for him over 20 yr period ) and many others. I've been fortunate to have had my hands on so many famous cars over the decades.  These two pics don't really even scratch the surface!  Anyway pics coming ......

IMG_2920.thumb.JPG.1e51fce67f81a32a83e15486063d14e4.JPG

IMG_2921.thumb.JPG.92d9c52eb6ae01f328c788f234cb6bce.JPG

• Like 1

I have many more pics but they are all packed away.  I hope you guys enjoy these photos anyway and maybe they help in your build one day.

Also, I do have other pics with Ivo when he had me work on the 4 eng car.  I did lots of paint touch ups on the motor - sanded names off the plastic side windows and polished - lots of detailing and Tommy standing there with me telling funny stories the whole way!

Thanks and be back soon,

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

John you need to get your net and round up your minions so you can finish this up.

Hi Bob.....I have been in the process of moving into a House.......I have at least another few months before I get back into this build......thanks for checking in.

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, gasser59 said:

Have you gotten all moved in and set up your studio?  Jonesin' for an update.

Hi Brad .....all moved in .....but still un-packing  and re-modeling the house..  hopefully be back at the Bench by the end of the year.....thanks for asking

• 2 years later...

Hello......I finally got back to the Bench last month and finished this M/T Monocoque Mustang F/C......I think I got my Mojo back.......I will be showing this for the first time next weekend at NNL West 2022......Here a bunch of pics......I will post "Outside" pics when I get back next week.....I also posted WIP pictures of my Don Garlits "Wynnsliner" too......it is also finished.....I just need to post a few more WIP pics of it and some "Outside" finished pictures......thanks for looking .

DSCF1853.jpg

DSCF1855.jpg

DSCF1857.jpg

DSCF1863.jpg

DSCF1865.jpg

DSCF1867.jpg

DSCF1868.jpg

DSCF1871.jpg

DSCF1873.jpg

• Like 3