Model Cars Magazine Forum

'65 Fury. Back on the Bench.

StevenGuthmiller

While I wait to get a start on a trio of '64 Pontiacs, I decided that it might be time to re-visit this Johan 1965 Plymouth Fury.

I had another build thread of this project started some time back, but being as this is my 3rd attempt, as well as the fact that we no longer have the ability to update old threads, I decided to start a new one.

Twice in the past year or so, I've had paint jobs go south on me with this project, so I figure, third time's a charm, and I'm ready to try again.

This time I decided to dump the original Johan chassis and go with one from the Lindberg 1964 "Color Me Gone" kit.

The stock 426 from the Lindberg '64 Belvedere will still be used.

The body has been stripped.......AGAIN! and some modifications have been started on the engine bay area.

I needed to cut the already modified fender wells from the Johan chassis and get them ready for transplantation on the Lindberg chassis as the engine bay from the '64 Dodge is incorrect for a '65 Fury.

I'm going to either call the Dodge firewall good enough, or I'll figure out some mods to combine it with the Johan one.

So far I have cut the fender wells from the original, did a little reworking and am creating a few bits and pieces to make them a little more detailed.

I needed to make a battery tray and some structural details to the inside of the fender wells to give them a bit more visual appeal.

There was also some quite extensive grinding, reshaping and refitting of several parts to allow for proper fit of the interior and chassis into the body shell, including work on the interior tub, rear package tray, dash , glass and the chassis itself.

There is little room for everything to fit together correctly.

Steve

2v2EBKs4rxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EBKsvyxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EBKstrxwUbWP.jpg

2v2E6vF5MxwUbWP.jpg

2v2E6ccjmxwUbWP.jpg

2v2E6cwEVxwUbWP.jpg

2v2E6cw1SxwUbWP.jpg

2v2E6cwAgxwUbWP.jpg

24 minutes ago, High octane said:

I believe the Fury kits in the mid 60's came in "flat boxes" from JoHan.

Yes they did.

I have several old "flat box" Johan kits, including the '65 Fury, a '64, '66 and '67 Fury, a '67 Chrysler 300 and a '64 Dodge Polara.

You'll likely never see any of these again! :(

Steve

2v2JBafayxwUbWP.jpg

2v2E6wRFgxwUbWP.jpg

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Yes they did.

I have several old "flat box" Johan kits, including the '65 Fury, a '64, '66 and '67 Fury, a '67 Chrysler 300 and a '64 Dodge Polara.

You'll likely never see any of these again! :(

Steve

2v2JBafayxwUbWP.jpg

2v2E6wRFgxwUbWP.jpg

Shame that 67 300 isn't a convertible. I would be doing my best to talk you out if it

58 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

Shame that 67 300 isn't a convertible. I would be doing my best to talk you out if it

This is one case where a hard top was a must have.

I had a red 1:1 '67 300 hard top in high school.

Eventually, this will be a replica of that car.

The hardest part may be figuring out how the replicate a split bench front seat.

Steve

Help me guys!

I'm considering doing something like this, but I'm really having a hard time convincing myself to cut out the fender skirts! :unsure:

I really like the look with this type of wheel.

image.png.290c61ad80fdd4a3844f5a0ebb37d175.png

But it really loses the effect with the skirts.

image.png.965150d56f39d645e8f4438f36c0a6a3.png

Or should I just stick with the really nice stock wheel covers and skirts.

image.png.163ee1cd9ae7f45ff813e0f2d978a399.png

I need your help talking me off of.......or onto the ledge. :P

Steve

Skirts are for ladies. The fender skirts look fine with the stock hub caps and white walls or maybe chrome wheels. Any type of mag wheels just don't look right with fender skirts. They are too different styles and they conflict with each other on the same car. 

6 minutes ago, espo said:

Skirts are for ladies. The fender skirts look fine with the stock hub caps and white walls or maybe chrome wheels. Any type of mag wheels just don't look right with fender skirts. They are too different styles and they conflict with each other on the same car. 

I agree that the American style wheels don't go with the skirts.

My dilemma is that I have a really hard time doing any cutting on a rare vintage body like this.

To me, they're a piece of history that shouldn't be desecrated.

Cutting them up is a little like drawing a mustache on the Mona Lisa in my view! :D

Granted, it's only the skirts.

It's not like I'm chopping the top, but it's still a difficult decision for me.

My main "saving grace" is that I can still build my '66 Fury convertible stock. ;)

All that said, I think I might use 2 sets of the front wheels from the Lindberg "Color Me Gone" kit, unless anybody has a better suggestion for this type of wheel.

I'm also looking for a set of nice white lettered tires for them.

Any suggestions there?

Steve

2 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I agree that the American style wheels don't go with the skirts.

My dilemma is that I have a really hard time doing any cutting on a rare vintage body like this.

To me, they're a piece of history that shouldn't be desecrated.

Cutting them up is a little like drawing a mustache on the Mona Lisa in my view! :D

Granted, it's only the skirts.

It's not like I'm chopping the top, but it's still a difficult decision for me.

My main "saving grace" is that I can still build my '66 Fury convertible stock. ;)

All that said, I think I might use 2 sets of the front wheels from the Lindberg "Color Me Gone" kit, unless anybody has a better suggestion for this type of wheel.

I'm also looking for a set of nice white lettered tires for them.

Any suggestions there?

Steve

I respect your reluctance to cut up a vintage kit that may be unreplaceable. The White Letter tires are sort of like Fender Skirts, it may just be me but the two just don't go together. You could always try it both ways and see what you like and then do that. Should you want to remove the skirts just take your time doing it. Many slow cuts are less likely to damage the body by pressing to hard or having the blade go out of the grove when cutting.   

34 minutes ago, espo said:

I respect your reluctance to cut up a vintage kit that may be unreplaceable. The White Letter tires are sort of like Fender Skirts, it may just be me but the two just don't go together. You could always try it both ways and see what you like and then do that. Should you want to remove the skirts just take your time doing it. Many slow cuts are less likely to damage the body by pressing to hard or having the blade go out of the grove when cutting.   

Oh I'm not worried about doing any damage, I'm just reluctant to do it at all!

I have the opposite opinion on the tires.

I grew up in the 70s.

If it had aftermarket wheels, it had white lettered tires! :)

Steve

Personally, I like the skirts, no matter what the wheels and tires are. A lot of car guys thru the sixties used skirts on their cars,  especially the full size cars. All kinds of skirts were available in the J.C.Whitney catalog, even chrome plated! I recently saw a bright red mid-sixties Ford Galaxie sporting a set of chrome plated skirts and after market wheels.

27 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

I think whatever wheel can look good with or without the skirts. 

Just depends on which direction you want to go.

You're right Steve, the direction that you're going makes a big difference.

If, like with your '66, you're going for a low, custom, or stock look, the skirts work.

I was heading more in the kind of "day 2", sort of "boulevard racer" direction.

If anything, I would possibly raise the stance rather than lower it.

Let's just say that I kind of thought that it looked good with that kind of "muscle car" vibe.

It surprised me how muscular and aggressive this car looked by just removing the skirts and changing the wheels.

It considerably shortens the look of the car in general.

Steve

Nix on the hood scoops and the blacked out grille!

image.png.3e20c53ae4bea57427714435f641560d.png

image.png.49b83c540383c32a7abca4dd8f2ef44d.png