Model Cars Magazine Forum

'65 Fury. Back on the Bench.

StevenGuthmiller

7 hours ago, Bucky said:

If the skirt is not to be preserved, a good ol' DREMEL tool will take care of it. Get it colse, then hit it with the sanding sticks!

Already done.

I just cut them most of the way through with a #11 blade and a scribing tool and then thinned the plastic from the backside with the Dremel tool until they basically fell off.

So I still have some usable skirts if anyone needs them. :P

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Got a little more time at the bench today, finishing up the fender wells, getting them primed and then installed on the chassis along with the firewall.

This will make it a simple "drop into the body" operation when that time comes.

I will add some wiring and plumbing detail at a later time

I am also experimenting with casting the center caps for the wheels and will see how they come out before I remove the originals.

Then I whipped out a quick washer jar! :P

My next step will likely be to begin contemplating the possibility of removing the convertible "top wells" from the interior and re-working the door panels. :mellow:

Steve

2v2E6rJh5xwUbWP.jpg

2v2E6rJWnxwUbWP.jpg

2v2E6rJGqxwUbWP.jpg

2v2E6rJnFxwUbWP.jpg

2v2E6rJFyxwUbWP.jpg

Well, now I done it!

There's no turning back now!

The convertible top wells are going bye-bye.

I'll be replacing the rear panels and then basically trying to save the pleats on the top and the emblem on the door panels.

All of the rest of the trim will be removed and replaced.

I wish myself luck! :unsure:

Steve

2v2E6ribzxwUbWP.jpg

2v2E6riknxwUbWP.jpg

2v2E6riSgxwUbWP.jpg

2v2E6rDprxwUbWP.jpg

I really like where this is going Steve! You know me..........I would have made the skirts removable and "magnetized" them somehow! :D

That's a good idea with the interior. I'm not a fan of tubs for interiors at all and when I was building my '49 Merc years ago, I cut out the sides and then reattached them later after they were painted.

Keep up the (as usual) TERRIFIC work! B)

Some more work on the interior.

I have removed the bulk of the trim and have started to replace it.

The pleated upholstery has been scribed deeper and shaped a bit

This is some of the upholstery trim that will be sanded and painted the same color as the rest of the interior.

Some chrome trim will be added later.

2v2EtajPzxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EtZuLqxwUbWP.jpg

I then began scratch building some arm rests.

2v2EtZuPGxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EtZuDFxwUbWP.jpg

Steve

I'm still a relative newcomer to model car kits, so forgive my ignorance here.

Having read the previous info about using Lindberg's 64 Dodge/Plymouth kits for parts in conjunction with the Jo-Han model, what I would just like to know if there is an another route to making a 1965 Fury from another similar vehicle by kit-bashing, assuming the Jo-Han model is now well and truly extinct.

It's a great looking car, so it's a shame that there is no current kit is out there.  

Edited by Wm David Green
revised information

16 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Some more work on the interior.

I have removed the bulk of the trim and have started to replace it.

The pleated upholstery has been scribed deeper and shaped a bit

This is some of the upholstery trim that will be sanded and painted the same color as the rest of the interior.

Some chrome trim will be added later.

2v2EtajPzxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EtZuLqxwUbWP.jpg

I then began scratch building some arm rests.

2v2EtZuPGxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EtZuDFxwUbWP.jpg

Steve

amazing work.. Do you use a magnifying lamp?

8 hours ago, Wm David Green said:

Having read the previous info about using Lindberg's 64 Dodge/Plymouth kits for parts in conjunction with the Jo-Han model, what I would just like to know if there is an another route to making a 1965 Fury from another similar vehicle by kit-bashing, assuming the Jo-Han model is now well and truly extinct.

It's a great looking car, so it's a shame that there is no current kit is out there.  

I suppose that anything is possible William, but it would take a true and experienced scratch builder to basically make a body from scratch.

There are no current kits available that even come close to the '65/'66 Fury body style.

The Lindberg kits, and others, are suitable for pirating parts from for a project like this, but those usable parts are pretty much limited to chassis and engine parts merely because the chassis and engines were nearly identical in configuration between consecutive years.

The body is another matter.

Not only would a body have to be completely scratch built, but bumpers, grille, interior parts, etc.

That would be a tall order for anyone, short of a 3D printer.

Your best bet, outside of finding the original article, is to find someone who may be casting the Johan kit in resin.

Steve 

5 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Good looking conversion on that interior.  One question, will there be a gap between the ends of the seat and the new interior panel?  If so what are your plans to fix it? Inquisitive minds want to know?

Yes, there will be a gap.

I have been contemplating this for some time.

There was a gap between the door panel and the seat even before the modifications, due to the shape of the seat.

Removing the top wells will increase that gap by about 2mm or so on each side, but I've decided that it won't be enough to warrant trying to figure out a way to widen the seat.

The shape of the rear seat would make it difficult to find a place to widen it.

I will be adding a slightly wider panel on either side of the seat something like the one that was already there.

In this photo, you can see how the configuration looked prior to modification on the right side, and the added gap that will need to be addressed on the left.

In my eye, it's not enough to justify figuring out a way to convincingly widen the seat.

Keep in mind that the interior represented in this kit is correct for a Sport Fury anyway, and not a FuryIII, which is what the body represents.

So short of a complete interior revamping, it will not be correct anyway.

Steve

2v2EtsramxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EtsrQVxwUbWP.jpg

On 3/29/2019 at 3:23 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

I suppose that anything is possible William, but it would take a true and experienced scratch builder to basically make a body from scratch.

There are no current kits available that even come close to the '65/'66 Fury body style.

The Lindberg kits, and others, are suitable for pirating parts from for a project like this, but those usable parts are pretty much limited to chassis and engine parts merely because the chassis and engines were nearly identical in configuration between consecutive years.

The body is another matter.

Not only would a body have to be completely scratch built, but bumpers, grille, interior parts, etc.

That would be a tall order for anyone, short of a 3D printer.

Your best bet, outside of finding the original article, is to find someone who may be casting the Johan kit in resin.

Steve 

Agree,

For the most part there is no currently avail kit that even comes close to either a 1965 or 66 Fury.

The originals are not terribly difficult to find ( 1966 is a little easier than 65 btw )  But be prepaired to open the wallet to get either one,,ESPECIALLY a 1965

I know, Ive tried to get a clean 65 convertible with no luck ,,,so far