Model Cars Magazine Forum

'65 Fury. Back on the Bench.

StevenGuthmiller

I finally got the body all polished, as well as most of the chassis plate details complete, so it was time to paint the vinyl top.

Isn't it funny how you spend your whole life trying NOT to get any orange peel in your paint, to the point that it becomes nerve wracking when you're actually trying to get some! :P

Steve

2v2ES31jGxwUbWP.jpg

2v2ES318nxwUbWP.jpg 

Awesome build and execution Steve. I love these old-meets-new kind of projects. I've always thought that the Johan bodies were the best proportioned, but the interiors & chassis really lacked. It's also nice to see these seldom seen kits built and not just squirreled away collecting dust. 

I'm really glad you removed the skirts. I also have a '65 & '66 Fury kits and couldn't quite bring myself to take the skirts off, but I probably will now...on at least one of them anyway.

Keep up the great work and I "forward look" to seeing it finished :D

Edited by Fish_65

5 hours ago, Fish_65 said:

I also have a '65 & '66 Fury kits and couldn't quite bring myself to take the skirts off, but I probably will now...on at least one of them anyway.

That was my thought as well.

I decided that I would build my '65 as a "day 2" sort of street rod, but my '66 Fury convertible will be bone stock. ;)

Steve

Just a few more teaser pics now that the body is fully polished, the vinyl top is complete and some of the trim is foiled.

I really wasn't certain how well I was going to like this body style, but now that I see how aggressive it looks with the skirts removed and the right wheels and tires, I'm really starting to like it! ;)

Please excuse the usual bad photography! :rolleyes:

Steve

2v2ESm6PMxwUbWP.jpg

2v2ESm6mvxwUbWP.jpg

2v2ESm6W3xwUbWP.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

11 minutes ago, Fish_65 said:

How did you paint the black in the side spears ?

Well, originally I had painted that strip black before clear coating the body and was planning on just foiling around it.

After trying that approach, I found that it wasn't working as well as I had hoped.

So I just masked off the the exposed chrome trim and then ran some flat black down the middle.

Then I removed the tape and went over the foil with a Q-tip with a little mineral spirits to clean up any edges.

It seems to have worked out pretty well.

Steve

1 hour ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Looking great as per usual from you sir!  BTW, what will you be doing moving forward for Chrome work? Chrome Tech, Little Motor Kar etc, are all gone. There is a void... :-(

I have a bit of an inside scoop on a possible new plater coming on line in the near future.

Nothing is set in stone, and I promised that I wouldn't divulge any information yet, but I'm hopeful that he will be the answer to our plating prayers if all works out. ;)

Steve

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I have a bit of an inside scoop on a possible new plater coming on line in the near future.

Nothing is set in stone, and I promised that I wouldn't divulge any information yet, but I'm hopeful that he will be the answer to our plating prayers if all works out. ;)

Fingers crossed on that!

25 minutes ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Fingers crossed on that!

Right!

Chrome Tech is gone.

I hear that LMK is probably going away soon and that wait times are becoming long.

I also hear that there are pretty major problems with GT Kustom Khrome.

That pretty much leaves us in the wilderness if we want show quality chrome.

As far as I'm concerned, no amount of Molotow ink is ever going to replace real chrome.........period!!!

I'm glad that I at least had the fore site to get a good dozen or so of my annual's parts re-chromed before the sh*t began to hit the fan!

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Excellent..My mother had a 66 Fury three with one of those days spray on so called vinyl top..It went down the front of the A pillar..Made me think the real deal did too, but NOT..I checked my Plymouth stuff and you did the right call..Work is excellent but I'am not a lover of non stock wheels but those make it look Tough..Remember when I wanted those style wheels on our car but parents said no..I removed hub caps and painted hubs and wheel nuts silver..LOL..

7 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Right!

Chrome Tech is gone.

I hear that LMK is probably going away soon and that wait times are becoming long.

I also hear that there are pretty major problems with GT Kustom Khrome.

That pretty much leaves us in the wildernes

Steve

I am earnestly surprised that someone did not buy out Chrometech. (Maybe it was not offered for sale)

The most recent attempt I used was to email LMK, but they have never responded.

Not sure I even recall GT Kustom Khrome.

Let's hope something works out.

33 minutes ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

I am earnestly surprised that someone did not buy out Chrometech. (Maybe it was not offered for sale)

The most recent attempt I used was to email LMK, but they have never responded.

Not sure I even recall GT Kustom Khrome.

Let's hope something works out.

There was never really anything to take over from Chrome Tech.

They were merely a middleman who would mount parts and send them out to a plater.

In all fairness, that's what most model parts re-platers do, but short of obtaining their plating racks and some information on how to manage things, there's really no business to take over.

GT Kustom Khrome was previously owned by Bob Dahl who is now the owner of "Bob's Paint".

When he was in charge a couple of years back, the service was beyond reproach and the finish of the chrome was unmatched!

He is a terrific guy and I really wish that he would have continued with his plating operation!

Since it was taken over by George Hernandez, things have become questionable.

I have tried multiple times over the past several months to contact him by e-mail and have never received a response.

And now the rumor is that he is either not able, or not willing to keep up and people are either waiting for months for the return of their parts, or are being forgotten about altogether.

Granted, this is just what I am hearing, but if true, I don't expect him to be around for long.

We sincerely need someone to pick up the baton for us.

Steve

1 hour ago, moparfarmer said:

Work is excellent but I'am not a lover of non stock wheels but those make it look Tough.

Thanks Wayne!

That was where I decided that I wanted to go with this one.

I have this '65 and a '66 convertible, and I wanted to do one of them a little different.

They are such similar designs that I thought that I would be bored with building both of them factory stock.

Besides, I needed something to put on the street rod table next year at the NNL North show! :D

Steve