Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
StevenGuthmiller

'65 Fury. Back on the Bench.

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

This is exactly what I had in mind!

I even like the color......a lot!

 

 

Steve

 

image.png.6fad4b5d1673cdf6d3359a1a35992f0f.png

Yea, that's a great combination. 

Wheels, color and stance work about perfect on that car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GMCMAN52 said:

That Black Fury has it all.  Wow build that one Steve

That is my least favorite of all of them.

I don't like the hood scoop or the blacked out grille, and the wheels and low profile tires don't do much for me.

The stance is also a little too low.

Black with the gold interior is kind of cool though.

 

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scott8950 said:

the gold color definitely looks good on the fury. im sure whatever color you choose its gonna be awesome.

Right now I'm flop-flopping between the copper in the rear shot, or a medium turquoise.

 

Steve

 

image.png.918749e23f9624aebef187ad381bcf2e.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My brother built this Johan model back in 1965. Glad I kept it all these years! I like the Fury with and without skirts.

I really should foil the trim someday, but this is the way he built it except I changed the wheels somewhere along the way....

He was a volunteer fireman at the time, so it is supposed to be a Fire Chief's car. Notice the 2-way radio under the dash. There was an antenna on the rear deck, but it is long gone.

0122191050.jpg.f9522b300a3a99817ddc317079f02ea8.jpg

0122191050a.jpg.e2a9b49df550a0a9efc246178c534829.jpg

0122191051.jpg.f6b724eefaeff40ebda1a92f7ff4c9b3.jpg

 

I've always loved the 65-66 Furys, beautiful design. Good luck with yours, I'm sure it will be nice whichever way you go!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there's something about that copper color on that car. it looks so good on that car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

C'mon, Mr. Obsessive - show us how to make little spring-loaded latches so the skirts can be removable depending on Steve's mood! :D

What surprises me is how well that chassis fits; I thought the '64 Dodge/Plymouth was a much smaller car than the '65?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can tell you that medium copper ext,,,,especially with a copper interior is an absolute knock out to see in person .

Pictures do NOT do that color justice ,,,,trust me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChrisBcritter said:

C'mon, Mr. Obsessive - show us how to make little spring-loaded latches so the skirts can be removable depending on Steve's mood! :D

What surprises me is how well that chassis fits; I thought the '64 Dodge/Plymouth was a much smaller car than the '65?

Ya know, You may be joking but working latches for those skirts would be super easy to make. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

Ya know, You may be joking but working latches for those skirts would be super easy to make. 

Yeah, it's called a piece of masking tape! :D

That's how the skirts on my '62 Ford are held on.

 

 

Steve

 

2v2UmJSSjxwUbWP.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Scott8950 said:

there's something about that copper color on that car. it looks so good on that car.

 

1 hour ago, gtx6970 said:

I can tell you that medium copper ext,,,,especially with a copper interior is an absolute knock out to see in person .

Pictures do NOT do that color justice ,,,,trust me

I have a jar of MCW 1956 Corvette "Aztec Copper".

What do you think?

Close enough?

 

Steve

 

2v2E6iPf5xwUbWP.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

 

I have a jar of MCW 1956 Corvette "Aztec Copper".

What do you think?

Close enough?

 

Steve

 

2v2E6iPf5xwUbWP.jpg

 

 

looks pretty close to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2019 at 9:24 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Yes they did.

I have several old "flat box" Johan kits, including the '65 Fury, a '64, '66 and '67 Fury, a '67 Chrysler 300 and a '64 Dodge Polara.

You'll likely never see any of these again! :(

 

 

Steve

 

2v2JBafayxwUbWP.jpg

2v2E6wRFgxwUbWP.jpg

 

Excellent collection. At one time or another, I had all of those kits. I still have some of them in the collection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like the Sport Fury came with skirts as standard equipment. Very easy to ditch them when ya get the ride home, tho! LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I took the leap and got one skirt removed!

I figured that I should take a little break before attempting to remove the next one.

With this old, brittle plastic, it's a little unnerving cutting out body panels! :wacko:

 

In the meantime, I started investigating the wheel situation.

I was originally planning on using a set from the Lindberg "Color Me Gone" Dodge kits, but they really lacked detail, including the fact that they are missing any lug nut detail.

I had another set that was much more detailed, but a little too shallow for my taste, so I thought, why not combine them and make painting a lot easier.

Now my question is, should I leave the rim chrome, or strip it and shoot them with some Alclad "Polished Aluminum"?

What do you all think?

 

 

 

Steve

 

2v2E6Tq6FxwUbWP.jpg

2v2E6TqbFxwUbWP.jpg

2v2E6TqBqxwUbWP.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

 

Now my question is, should I leave the rim chrome, or strip it and shoot them with some Alclad "Polished Aluminum"?

What do you all think?

 

 

 

Steve

 

2v2E6Tq6FxwUbWP.jpg

2v2E6TqbFxwUbWP.jpg

2v2E6TqBqxwUbWP.jpg

 

i would do the aluminum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scott8950 said:

i would do the aluminum.

That's my thought.

I'm also toying with casting the center caps in epoxy so that I can remove the cast in ones and add separate pieces after they have been finished.

I'll have to weigh the ease of finishing against the added work on that one. ^_^

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

That's my thought.

I'm also toying with casting the center caps in epoxy so that I can remove the cast in ones and add separate pieces after they have been finished.

I'll have to weigh the ease of finishing against the added work on that one. ^_^

 

Steve

thats why your on a whole other level building these cars.. i enjoyed the galaxie build and I'll definitely be following this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work on the skirt removal!

I might go for the aluminum rim on those wheels.

Here's a wheel I was always partial to:
8514d1244581750-keystone-klassic-wheels-

I like the Torque Thrust, and the Cragar SS, but these Keystones look very nice on a classic MOPAR!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

 

I have a jar of MCW 1956 Corvette "Aztec Copper".

What do you think?

Close enough?

 

Steve

 

2v2E6iPf5xwUbWP.jpg

 

 

I just did a google search for both colors.

And my best guess is the Corvette color is slightly to dark compared to the Mopar version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

I just did a google search for both colors.

And my best guess is the Corvette color is slightly to dark compared to the Mopar version.

I thought that there was little chance that it would be an exact match.

I think that I might be leaning towards the "Medium Turquoise" anyway.

I think that I might have other plans for the copper.

 

Steve

 

2v2E6Sn5hxwUbWP.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the turquoise idea. That's a "sixties" color, IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve...Your killing me with the photo showing the kits there...LOL..  I have the 65 HT missing glass and bumpers....a 66 HT promo needing glass,bumpers,taillights,front roof posts,one wheel and tire and torsion bar suspension on the pass side.  These are some of the classiest looking cars Plymouth made to me.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Well, I took the leap and got one skirt removed!

I figured that I should take a little break before attempting to remove the next one.

With this old, brittle plastic, it's a little unnerving cutting out body panels! :wacko:

 

In the meantime, I started investigating the wheel situation.

I was originally planning on using a set from the Lindberg "Color Me Gone" Dodge kits, but they really lacked detail, including the fact that they are missing any lug nut detail.

I had another set that was much more detailed, but a little too shallow for my taste, so I thought, why not combine them and make painting a lot easier.

Now my question is, should I leave the rim chrome, or strip it and shoot them with some Alclad "Polished Aluminum"?

What do you all think?

 

 

 

Steve

 

2v2E6Tq6FxwUbWP.jpg

2v2E6TqbFxwUbWP.jpg

2v2E6TqBqxwUbWP.jpg

 

Not sure of your method for cutting out the skirts. A method I have used to stabilize the plastic body involves a scrap piece of 2x4 clamped to a work bench and use that as a backing for the part of the body you're cutting on. This makes it easier to hold the body with one hand and it supports the body from twisting or cracking as you work on it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...