Model Cars Magazine Forum

'65 Fury. Back on the Bench.

StevenGuthmiller

On 5/5/2019 at 2:41 AM, StevenGuthmiller said:

While I wait for the paint to arrive, I got a start on getting the engine and chassis parts together.

I'll be using parts from various kits as well as some scratch made and after market parts.

I'll be using the 4 speed version of the 426 wedge provided by the Lindberg '64 Belvedere kit with the addition of the dual quad cross ram intake from the Color Me Gone Dodge.

I am swapping out the somewhat cheesy looking exhaust manifolds from the Plymouth kit for a better looking pair from the 413 in the AMT '49 Merc kit.

I have also decided to take the big leap and order a pair of AFB Carter carbs from Fireball Modelworks.

The chassis will be largely straight from the '64 Dodge box, but I will need to scratch build the exhaust system from plastic tubing or rod.

The lack of the "plug" detail in the intake manifold was bugging me, so I decided to quickly try my hand at adding them.

The should look alright once painted.

Steve

image.thumb.jpeg.d55bf6ff943fa7802a001aa7b3dd7718.jpeg

Steve, if you really want to make that Lindberg Max Wedge pop, you should consider using the Missing Link resin cross ram intake along with the old Revell Tony Nancy wedge heads. This stuff is miles ahead of the Lindberg parts. I have extras I can send you. 

3 hours ago, garagepunk66 said:

Steve, if you really want to make that Lindberg Max Wedge pop, you should consider using the Missing Link resin cross ram intake along with the old Revell Tony Nancy wedge heads. This stuff is miles ahead of the Lindberg parts. I have extras I can send you. 

I guess I wouldn't turn them down Dan. ;)

Although, I can't say I have ever seen these parts.

I ordered a set of Carter carbs from Chief Joseph, so I guess any extra detail under the hood would be good.

Steve

3 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I guess I wouldn't turn them down Dan. ;)

Although, I can't say I have ever seen these parts.

I ordered a set of Carter carbs from Chief Joseph, so I guess any extra detail under the hood would be good.

Steve

PM me your adress Steve and I will get them off to you

On 5/15/2019 at 6:00 AM, garagepunk66 said:

Steve:

Here is the wedge cross ram manifold I mastered for Missing Link. Dan is correct, I used the heads and valve covers from the Tony Nancy kit wedge engine as they are correct,as you can see in the pictures. Fireball"s Carter AFBs are perfect for this combination!. Kevin has the manifolds available. BTW, I also made a Hemi cross ram available from Kevin as well. The engine block is from Revell"s 69 Charger. Good luck.

MOPAR WEDGE CROSS RAM.jpg

IMG_1325.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_1323.JPG

Edited by BobbyG

Steve, hope you are bringing something to NNL North on Sunday..Look for the old grey haired short fat guy with the Winnipeg Model Car Club black BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH..I more than likely will be sitting at a table..Sorry to hi-jack the thread..

20 minutes ago, BobbyG said:

Steve:

Here is the wedge cross ram manifold I mastered for Missing Link. Dan is correct, I used the heads and valve covers from the Tony Nancy kit wedge engine as they are correct,as you can see in the pictures. Fireball"s Carter AFBs are perfect for this combination!. Kevin has the manifolds available. BTW, I also made a Hemi cross ram available from Kevin as well. The engine block is from Revell"s 69 Charger. Good luck.

They look great Bob!

Thanks to Dan's generosity, I'll be able to use one on this project.

I'll probably still be stuck with using the Lindberg block though.

I don't have the Revell Charger, and I can't see spending the money on a kit just to part it out.

I had a Revell '68 Charger engine, but already swiped the engine from it for another project.

I guess that it doesn't really need to be 100% correct anyway.

As far as I know, this engine was never available in the '65 Fury anyway. :)

Steve

16 minutes ago, moparfarmer said:

Steve, hope you are bringing something to NNL North on Sunday..Look for the old grey haired short fat guy with the Winnipeg Model Car Club black BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH..I more than likely will be sitting at a table..Sorry to hi-jack the thread..

I'll be there Wayne!

I'm pretty certain that I met you there a couple of years ago, but I probably wouldn't recall your face anyway. :P

The wife and I will be heading down to the cities on Saturday to attend the show on Sunday.

Don't expect a lot from me this year.

I didn't complete a lot in the past year, so I'm planning on mainly bringing the '67 Ford Galaxie XL 427 R Code that I finished a couple of months ago.

Other than that, I thought that I might bring a line up of 1960 Mopars that I have completed.

The '60 Dodge Dart Phoenix that I displayed there a couple of years ago, along with a '60 Plymouth Fury, '60 Chrysler New Yorker, and the '60 Imperial that I finished some months back.

I thought that the 4 of them would make an interesting display.

I just wish that I had my '60 Desoto re-built to make the line complete. :)

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

9 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I'll be there Wayne!

I'm pretty certain that I met you there a couple of years ago, but I probably wouldn't recall your face anyway. :P

The wife and I will be heading down to the cities on Saturday to attend the show on Sunday.

Don't expect a lot from me this year.

I didn't complete a lot in the past year, so I'm planning on mainly bringing the '67 Ford Galaxie XL 427 R Code that I finished a couple of months ago.

Other than that, I thought that I might bring a line up of 1960 Mopars that I have completed.

The '60 Dodge Dart Phoenix that I displayed there a couple of years ago, along with a '60 Plymouth Fury, '60 Chrysler New Yorker, and the '60 Imperial that I finished some months back.

I thought that the 4 of them would make an interesting display.

I just wish that I had my '60 Desoto re-built to make the line complete. :)

Steve

No problem Steve. The Lindberg block is not bad and is a good basis for a 426 wedge. Because I'm a MOPAR nut, I get a little carried away with detail.

Your Fury is looking great like your other projects. I love your builds! Can't wait to see it finished!

Edited by BobbyG

49 minutes ago, moparfarmer said:

I remember meeting you but I too can't remember faces..I look like my avator but with slighly shorter hair..Black shirt..Hope to see you win another one of our road worthy awards..Lookin' forward to seeing the Imperial..

I'll see you there Wayne!

Just look for this guy!

Only maybe a little less psychotic looking! :lol:

Steve

2v2EicuEyxwUbWP.jpg

51 minutes ago, BobbyG said:

No problem Steve. The Lindberg block is not bad and is a good basis for a 426 wedge. Because I'm a MOPAR nut, I get a little carried away with detail.

Your Fury is looking great like your other projects. I love your builds! Can't wait to see it finished!

Thanks Bob!

It's kind of been sitting in limbo for a couple of weeks while I muster the time, (and courage) to paint it! :P

Steve

3 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

They look great Bob!

Thanks to Dan's generosity, I'll be able to use one on this project.

I'll probably still be stuck with using the Lindberg block though.

I don't have the Revell Charger, and I can't see spending the money on a kit just to part it out.

I had a Revell '68 Charger engine, but already swiped the engine from it for another project.

I guess that it doesn't really need to be 100% correct anyway.

As far as I know, this engine was never available in the '65 Fury anyway. :)

Steve

Don't sweat the Lindberg block Steve. It's not too bad at all once it's wearing some nicer heads and intake. I think it actually looks a little better than the Moebius 65 block

9 hours ago, garagepunk66 said:

Don't sweat the Lindberg block Steve. It's not too bad at all once it's wearing some nicer heads and intake. I think it actually looks a little better than the Moebius 65 block

That's what I was thinking Dan.

I've already switched out the exhaust manifolds, and if I use the resin intake and carbs, the rest will be fine.

I'm contemplating reworking the pulleys and belts, but all depends on if I start getting bored with working on this project by that time.

Steve

8 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

Just an fyi, you are correct.

the cross ram intake was never avail in a 1965 Fury. although the 426 wedge was it was single 4 barrel only

Yes Bill, that was what I had discovered in my research.

The single 4 barrel was my original plan when I was going to build it stock, but I decided that being as I was going a little beyond stock anyway.........well, what's one more carburetor between friends! :D

Steve

15 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Yes Bill, that was what I had discovered in my research.

The single 4 barrel was my original plan when I was going to build it stock, but I decided that being as I was going a little beyond stock anyway.........well, what's one more carburetor between friends! :D

Steve

?

I am still plugging away on this project, although my time has become limited in the past couple of weeks.

I've mostly been working on fabricating an exhaust system by utilizing the Lindberg '64 Plymouth mufflers and creating my own exhaust pipes from plastic rod.

I also happened upon a refinement for the wheels when I stumbled upon some much nicer outer wheel rims from the AMT 1967 Ford Galaxie kit.

They are exactly what I was looking for!

The nice thing about them is that the 50 year old chrome finish has deteriorated to the point where it looks like a perfect facsimile to polished aluminum!

Sometimes even a blind pig finds an acorn! ;)

Steve

image.thumb.jpeg.cb4290d8c55163ad373efd7accd95696.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d276059e81090ada4dd20811b85c4bce.jpeg

On 5/17/2019 at 11:23 AM, gtx6970 said:

Just an fyi, you are correct.

the cross ram intake was never avail in a 1965 Fury. although the 426 wedge was it was single 4 barrel only

426street-wedge1965.jpg

I'll bet plenty cross-rams were installed, after the fact , on these mighty Plymouths!

50 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I am still plugging away on this project, although my time has become limited in the past couple of weeks.

I've mostly been working on fabricating an exhaust system by utilizing the Lindberg '64 Plymouth mufflers and creating my own exhaust pipes from plastic rod.

I also happened upon a refinement for the wheels when I stumbled upon some much nicer outer wheel rims from the AMT 1967 Ford Galaxie kit.

They are exactly what I was looking for!

The nice thing about them is that the 50 year old chrome finish has deteriorated to the point where it looks like a perfect facsimile to polished aluminum!

Sometimes even a blind pig finds an acorn! ;)

Steve

image.thumb.jpeg.cb4290d8c55163ad373efd7accd95696.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d276059e81090ada4dd20811b85c4bce.jpeg

Great looking wheels!

What method do you use to bend the plastic rod? Would styrene tube work just as well?