Model Cars Magazine Forum

Matchbox's Cold Warrior - F-101F Out of Box

During the early days of the jet age, there were some false starts and some real gems. Sometimes, those that didn’t get a chance to shine, like the McDonnell XF-88 Voodoo, got to take a second run at it. In the case of the “second” Voodoo, the F-101, it seemed that the stars had aligned and everything would be good to go. In fact, the Voodoo was only somewhat successful at a couple of its intended roles, really only finding  a place as a recce bird.

That design, however, created another, still different Voodoo; the F-101B was the interceptor model with two seats, more powerful engines/afterburners and even the Genie nuclear rocket! I personally like this form a lot better, as I can remember seeing Canadian Voodoos at airshows when I was a kid. They were loud and fast, and with all that fire out the back, it was a guaranteed hearing-loss-induced-fun kind of day on the airfield!

Those who know me know I love Matchbox kits, so when I came across the Matchbox F-101F (two-holer trainer)  that could also be built as a Canadian CF-101, I was ecstatic! Check out this questionably detailed, but undeniably epic kit below!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/out-of-box-reviews/matchbox-1-72-mcdonnel-douglas-f-101f-rf-101b-cf-101b-voodoo-out-of-box/

matchbox-voodoo-oob-001.jpg?w=420

The Voodoo was always a favourite of mine, there were always so many variations on the paint schemes on the Canadian units. I remember passing the display unit at CFB Uplands many times when I was a teenager (used it as a navigation aid for making the turn to get to my girlfriend's house). One of these days, I will build one, but will leave the Matchbox one for the collectors.

Yeah, I was shocked when I was looking at the Belcher Bits decal sheet the number of even stock paint variations, let alone some of those eye-catching special event/anniversary ones!

I think the Revell -101B is a lot better looking. I have one of those, too. Maybe I'll do it as the CF, and do the RF-101B out of the Matchbox!  I can't not build it... :)

This particular kit is highly sought here in my hometown of Fargo, ND because the cover image represents a plane that flew here with our Air National Guard from 1969 to 1977. The 119th Fighter Wing, "The Happy Hooligans" as indicated on the red tail strip. Back when the town was half the size it is today, most people knew somebody who flew in one of the two seats because it was all local pilots flying them. I have my kit, but it took a couple years to find one (before ebay took off).

NDANG_F101-007.jpg

Unfortunately, there were two mishaps with this plane including a mid air collision during training. Though there were no fatalities, one plane was lost and the other had to return to Fargo with part of its wing missing. My brother-in-law worked at the ANG wrenching on missiles when the plane returned. He said to stay airborne the plane couldn't fly less than about 250 MPH so that's how fast it had to land, requiring the arresting cables at the end of the runway to stop it.

Edited by Lunajammer

• 2 weeks later...

Growing up in Detroit I went to the London Air Show for many years and remember seeing the "101 Wonder" there.One of my favorite aircraft of all time. Check out 2 of the Voodoo patches below. Plus my favorite Canadian Voodoo paint scheme . 

When I was in Vietnam saw the Rf-101 version in the skies every once in awhile.

5ca9afd59a30d_F101CanadianVoodoo.jpg.15744e2db0d398557dc5323882e3f8d6.jpg

IMG_20170429_0005.jpg.8faa6cc91e5d82789a29adb8c7466b25.jpgIMG_20170429_0054.jpg.0c7243ce59555790ff1948551fe392fa.jpg

Edited by Vietnam Vet67
addition of info.

Hey Ed!

Nice patch collection! 

That's awesome that you used to come to the London Air Show! I went with my dad and uncle, and later my brother, every year from 1981 forward. It was so cool to see all those planes, and I realize now how lucky I was to have had the chance to see my hometown's humble airport stuffed to the gills with legendary aircraft, so many of which are gone now. 

I, too, loved the Voodoos as show planes. Good and loud! 

1 hour ago, Faust said:

Hey Ed!

Nice patch collection! 

That's awesome that you used to come to the London Air Show! I went with my dad and uncle, and later my brother, every year from 1981 forward. It was so cool to see all those planes, and I realize now how lucky I was to have had the chance to see my hometown's humble airport stuffed to the gills with legendary aircraft, so many of which are gone now. 

I, too, loved the Voodoos as show planes. Good and loud! 

1988 was the "ultimate show" ever. 30th Anniversary of the F-4 Phantom. I think they had over 40 Phantoms on the flight line from all over the world. Just awesome. The guys who used to put on the London show now do the show at Willow Run Airport in Detroit every year. Cheers!5caa571391c69_30thAnniversaryofPhantomAirShowProgram.thumb.jpg.33c678bc28deaca7589472d85fa12ca5.jpg

Oh man! I agree totally! The '88 show was amazing! SO many Rhinos all in one place! 

I think it was 26 on the ground and 4 flying by to honour the 30th Anniversary. I've got that program and the poster for that show too! It was the first airshow my brother went to - he was 7 at the time - and he loved it too! 

Such good times... 

Really? The Walshes are still at it? I didn't know that.! Now I have to look up the Willow Run show! 

Thanks for the heads up, man!

Edited by Faust