Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mack RS-771L powered by the massive buzzen dozen

Very nice!! I think that you are going in the right direction. You may know this better than me, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the hood in your reference truck has low mount fenders. Your hood from Gary has high mount fenders. From what I've read the cabs on the RS and RL models sit slightly higher than the R. The early model RS and RL models used the regular R models hoods with high mount fenders and the later models had the low mount fenders. So your choice to go with the old cab is spot on to go with your hood, unless I'm mistaken. If I am it won't be the first time.:D

8 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Very nice!! I think that you are going in the right direction. You may know this better than me, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the hood in your reference truck has low mount fenders. Your hood from Gary has high mount fenders. From what I've read the cabs on the RS and RL models sit slightly higher than the R. The early model RS and RL models used the regular R models hoods with high mount fenders and the later models had the low mount fenders. So your choice to go with the old cab is spot on to go with your hood, unless I'm mistaken. If I am it won't be the first time.:D

Yeah i belive u are correct with the fenders. Unless that was only for the eastcoast r700s that had standard r grilles where the very early weast coast hoods were styled kind of like the valuliner in with the raised part in the center of the hood and the west coast grille Prob wrong, but Honestly i need a break from reading my brain hurts from trying to figure out all the tiny details haha..one thing ive noticed is non ofthem had the body line i circled so i will be removing that.

20190402_062819.jpg

Took both cabs i got off brian and cut them up just need to make sure the interior will fit before i glue them together. Also ive read super clean is good for removing paint without harming the plastic so just want to make sure this is correct before i strip the cab parts. I think ive decided the look im going for....i like the look of the white r model with the small mercury sleeper and miter cut straight pipe stacks. And will be going with a orange and cream paint job kind of like the kw in The pic exept the body lines will separate the colors.

20190402_155921.jpg

20190402_155838.jpg

20190402_155616.jpg

20190402_155651.jpg

If anyone is looking for custom paint this guy sells house of color basecoats in spray cans. You will have to apply a clear coat as this stuff is a automotive basecoat. I ordered the house of color tangelo pearl orange. One of nicest Colors ive used. If you search "spray can" under his items 

https://ebay.com/usr/stevensons1

On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 4:42 PM, Jimbo8v92 said:

Cabs glued and got the red all striped off with safey clean but had to use acetone and wet sand the rest off. Also shaved off the body line that was on the fender. Last pic shows how far i plan to extend the cowl.

20190405_162101.jpg

20190405_162046.jpg

20190405_162210.jpg

20190405_162224.jpg

mackrv12cowl.jpg

mackrv12cowlcndfn.jpg

mackrv12cowlf.jpg

On 4/5/2019 at 7:50 PM, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

That really looks good! That old red cab was painted and built by a kid about 30 years ago, I got the DM cab on a trade and I'm not sure how long it had been painted. You have definitely gone further with these cabs than I ever would have. Great work!

Yeah whatever pain that dm cab had on it was good lol didnt even rake the shine off lol. Will be stopping to shipping your wheels to you when i leave work.

On 4/6/2019 at 6:20 AM, gotnitro? said:

Looking awesome  !

What's your plans concerning the cowl vent opening on the hood ?planning  to leave it present or fill it in 

Going to fill the cut out in the hood

The conversion hood from Gary depicts the second configuration of the RL-RS hood . The first was near identical with the difference being the grille ( had a two piece deal). Both the first and second style shared the fender configuration of the R700 . The third style is where both cab sat higher and the fenders and hood were taller to better accommodate the larger engines and accompanying radiators, plus the rear bottom fender extensions. That how you can spot the difference in the movie Convoy between the first unit 1977 truck and the second and third unit 1973 trucks. Looking forward to seeing your build as it move along.

On ‎01‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 9:40 PM, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

I think the difference in height is because a western rl700 has straight frame rails.later western the fenders were lowered jus t like a valueliner r600.The ribs on the fenders are to do with what year truck.I don't have the years off hand.last picture is a eastern r700.The original pictures in this topic is interesting because its an western r700 built to eastern specs

mack1966_RS700L.jpg

post73_rlhood.jpg

mackwesternjgjhjf.jpg

mackmo.jpg

Yeah seems there were alot of different variences of the 700 series lol prob more changes than most of us even realize. The (Western) 700's had a valueliner style hood  with the dropped fenders and had a raised section of the hood running down the center like the valueliner 600 series which was considered a western option, but i dont think the 700's with that hood were called valueliners like the 600 series was. They were also to late in production to come with a v12 tho so the hood i have works perfect.

post-78-127362030229_thumb.jpg

post-78-127362028441_thumb.jpg

med_gallery_377_73_11883.jpg

Started to assemble the engine.very nice resin kit from gary. Only thing i did was scrub everything with hot water and simplegreen just to make sure there were no oild that would mess with the paint. Deciding if i want to paint it to match the cream or orange on the truck or paint it detroit alpine green. The trucks going to be kind of a work/show truck not stock. Any opinions?

20190410_181222.jpg

20190410_181237.jpg

20190410_181302.jpg