Model Cars Magazine Forum

International Transtar 4300 Restoration

I have been collecting big rig parts/kits/buildups for many years and have not gone through my stash for over five years. I cannot remember where/how I came about this one, but whoever built this one did an outstanding job and I hope I can put it back together with due justice. If anyone recognizes it please speak up. It has fully articulating rear suspension, steerable front wheels, and LOTS of nice detail which includes hand painted pin striping. 

I will try and polish things up as I reassemble the truck. The only thing that appears to be missing is the steering wheel/column. I also found a broken air horn that needs to be replaced. I will need to find an instruction sheet so I can put it back together correctly.  Here is what I am starting with...

20190323_135941.jpg

20190323_135948.jpg

20190323_140018.jpg

20190323_140026.jpg

I just downloaded the instructions and WoW has this thing been modified, unless there was more than one version released. The engine is different,  the frame is longer, front springs and perches look scratch built, the sleeper is off something else, and I am sure I am missing things...

The instruction sheet showed me what the steering wheel and column look like, now to start going through all those parts boxes...

Thanks everyone!

This is fun to put back together. Cleaning up well with only small challenges. I have the chassis all repaired and sitting level, and most of the cab reassembled along with all the interior pieces cleaned. The sleeper has some paint damage to one compartment door, that will be the hardest thing to fix. 

20190325_172204.jpg

20190325_172953.jpg

20190325_172442.jpg

20190325_172944.jpg

5 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

Nice project, it looks like the sleeper is custom made using the original doors from the kit(molded in Yellow). I have this kit NIB and plan to do it someday, I will be watching.

Good eye Scott!  I wish the roof came off, the double bunk is carpeted and it even has a sink with fixture and a refrigerator/freezer combo. The compartment doors could have even been hinged if you wanted, they are all sealed compartments.  Even has a headliner in the cab.

What part of Washington are you in?

13 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

Good eye Scott!  I wish the roof came off, the double bunk is carpeted and it even has a sink with fixture and a refrigerator/freezer combo. The compartment doors could have even been hinged if you wanted, they are all sealed compartments.  Even has a headliner in the cab.

What part of Washington are you in?

Very cool. I live in the Yakima area.

Edited by Oldmopars

1 minute ago, NothingAsFineAsaW9 said:

That makes you over the hill there Neighborino. 

Howdy from the west side. 

Interesting paint scheme 

Yep, I used to live on the WET side, but I moved a few years ago to the dry side, where the sun shines. I still work for a company in Kent, but work remotely from home. I have friends and family over there still too.

I have not been sorry yet that I moved. Even if just for the difference in traffic it was worth it. I never go anywhere that I can't exceed the speed limit if I wanted to because there is no traffic even at "rush hour".

Thanks to DJ (TECHMAN), sending me the steering column and air horns, I now have the interior and cab all finished. I had a minor, well MAJOR, setback. Long story short, in a sleep depraved and frantic 4am morning rush to get out of the house, the entire hood assembly accidentally got recycled. I happened to mention this the next day to Jeff while sorting out the shipping details for that old KW oil field rig and he is sending me a complete replacement hood assembly ! So a big shout out to gotnitro? 

So cab assembly and no more rats nest out back. :D

20190404_154950.jpg

20190404_155002.jpg

20190404_154935.jpg

20190404_154928.jpg

25 minutes ago, NothingAsFineAsaW9 said:

Looks like the after effects of being hit by a backing Swift truck lol.

Looking very good again. 

Thanks Vince! 

Now for the fun part, matching all that paint....

I wont be able to get to a hobby shop for a week or two so this one will sit quiet for awhile.

Sure Wish I Finished Training!!! :D

Yea, a month or so ago a log truck driving friend showed me a picture he took while stuck in traffic.  A Swift driver decided to do a u-turn in the middle of a five lane highway and proceeded to sink his drive axles into the soft shoulder just as his 50ft trailer was at a 90 degrees to the road,  blocking all five lanes...:rolleyes: