Model Cars Magazine Forum

1977 Richard Petty Monte Carlo

jjsipes

With all the talk about the Salvino Monte Carlo stock car kit, I thought I would see what I could do with it. I'm no expert but do enjoy building. My father is currently working on to replicate Cale Yarborough Busch Monte and complaining about how poor a kit it is. I started looking at the body after reading what others have done. I sanded the body lines on the quarters and front fenders, I worked on the trunk by added some plastic to reduce the quarter extensions. Opened up the quarter windows slightly. Want to prime it to see what I got now.

20190323_222613.jpg

20190323_222600.jpg

I then turned my attention to the chassis after seeing on my fathers build how narrow the chassis is compared to the body. I have added .100" x .156" strips to the chassis sides to fill the gap. Have filled the gap between the 2 chassis halves after once again seeing what my father had for wheelbase, about 6/32" I believe it was. Next onto the wheel tubs and trunk floor but, that's another night.

20190323_222537.jpg

Just a word of Caution. I bought one this weekend and played around with fitment. If you are using the stacked headlight version the chrome front grille doesn't fit. The substitute rear suspension seems to be to small. The truck arms that is. An if you are a stickler for accuracy there are a ton of ejector pin marks on the chassis. Also only three side bars. I liked the way you added to the sides. Keep posting pictures.

2 hours ago, james460 said:

Just a word of Caution. I bought one this weekend and played around with fitment. If you are using the stacked headlight version the chrome front grille doesn't fit. The substitute rear suspension seems to be to small. The truck arms that is. An if you are a stickler for accuracy there are a ton of ejector pin marks on the chassis. Also only three side bars. I liked the way you added to the sides. Keep posting pictures.

I seen that about the truck arms. Have not seen anything about fit of grille. Thanks for the heads up

Got the body primed on Sunday. Have some work to do around the windshield trim yet. Overall not bad. On to more chassis work, between the chassis being narrow and short (in the rear) for body and all the injection pins needing filled

20190325_210031.jpg

20190325_205953.jpg

Have done more work on chassis since that pic was taken but haven't gotten an updated pic yet. I have extended the rear frame rails back, added back in the fuel cell box and worked on tying in the rocker rails with the front frame rails. Need to tie in the rear rails with the rocker rails.

Working on the chassis some more. Added frame rails to extend the frame back. Added frame to tie the front subframe to rocker rails to try and create a full frame. Toying around with the idea of using a salvaged truck arm from a AMT Stock Car.

20190406-211105.jpg

20190406-211114.jpg

• 2 years later...