Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram Ferrari 275P vintage kit

89AKurt

*Had to* get one of these vintage 1965 Monogram Ferrari 275P kits.  No, it's not the gold-plated slot car kit, still wrapped.  I've been watching prices on eBay, this one was not an auction, free shipping made it a few bucks less than some others, but still a chunk of change.

I was surprised about the skeleton racer face. :blink:  There are three nasty sink holes under the mounting points.  The chrome headlights won't cut it for me.  Tires are really flat sheen, but not cracked or brittle, but if I use modern wheel/tires that won't matter.  Decals are toast.

My plan is to kit bash with a modern Ferrari that has an engine and suspension, tub and seats.  So will be scouting for a cheap donor.  I'm jonesing to do a resto-rod Ferrari, yea I'm sick.  :lol:

IMG_9870_Fotor.jpg

IMG_9872_Fotor.jpg

IMG_9871_Fotor.jpg

Those decals look very savable. Bleach the yellow out by putting them in a window for a few days, then coat them with Micro Super Film. I've used (on model airplanes) MUCH worse looking decals, with success. Congrats on a great score, BTW.

8 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Now that is interesting.  I never noticed the helmeted skull before nor the decal sheet labeled as 330P.  Thanks for sharing the kit layout and I will be watching to see what you do with this.  

Good catch, I wasn't thinking when I looked much less posted the picture!  Box art shows #22, so that couldn't have been switched?

6 hours ago, afx said:

I have the re-issued kit and just checked, it doesn't include the skull face.

Now that's interesting!

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Those decals look very savable. Bleach the yellow out by putting them in a window for a few days, then coat them with Micro Super Film. I've used (on model airplanes) MUCH worse looking decals, with success. Congrats on a great score, BTW.

Good trick to know.  And thanks.

Nice one Steve.

I built these many years ago from the original kit plus Herb Deeks PE wheels modified on the front for the outside laced wheels.  There are minor differences in the front valance and exhaust pipes.  If doing them now I would have added more detail, maybe even an engine.  Oops, missing the numbers on the Prova MO.

5c98d816baa35_Ferrari_275P_1963_21_001.jpg.a363ca350b3ffdce82b6536c85235a06.jpg5c98d81811073_Ferrari_275P_1963_21_002.jpg.6df469a1e58fbe32742ff79ea388088f.jpg5c98d8196465e_Ferrari_330P_1964_20_001.jpg.99f7a1855339ef6a8f1952b31e22da75.jpg5c98d81ab214b_Ferrari_330P_1964_20_003.jpg.a9a47d715a1cba50947da6a3a50c7e77.jpg

The Ferrari 275P, Chaparral 2D, rear engine Scarab and the Porsche 904 all have been done in the SSP program years ago (Chaparral more than once) Provided the Germans have the tooling they certainly could be run again. Now the AMT Can Am cars (Lola T70, Chaparral 2C, McLaren Elva and Hussain) who knows? Again like Monogram's kits they were slot bodies that had full curbside kit versions.

Tamiya has their release of the McLaren-Elva 1/24 slot car body on sale on the Tamiya USA website right now for $5.00 (same with their Lola T70).  It looks alot like what I remember of the Monogram release but I havent seen the Monogram one in years.   You can find all three of their available slot car bodies on the plastic models - accessories page.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/plastic-models/model-accessories/page/2/

Edited by djflyer

Thanks for the additional information everyone!

This is typical for me, I get a wild hair to get something, then a short time later a screaming deal.  Found the 1996 edition at the Phoenix model swap, minus instructions and decals, for $12.
Body of '64 vintage is dark red plastic, '96 re-pop is lighter red.  The '96 has the slot car mounting points removed, so there are no sink marks, but trademark date is still '64.  '96 does not have the slot wire wheel inserts, and no skull.  Tires are different: '64 are Goodyear and look accurate, '96 are Goodyear but are wider (2944-2300 200/300).  '96 box is bigger.

I also got a Revell 360 Modena Spider.  I've not been a fan of that design, so figured it's okay to destroy that to kit-bash with the old timer, to make a resto-rod.  It will take lots of Dremel grinding.  Big difference in width, wheelbase is about 2mm difference.  I can see blending the lower rear valance of the 360 into the 275, using two 360 taillights.  Think the wheels will look good.  Interior will be the most challenging, might go with the old school look, with LHD.

If anyone wants to do this, it won't hurt my feelings.

IMG_9923_Fotor.jpg

IMG_9924_Fotor.jpg

IMG_9926_Fotor.jpg

IMG_9927_Fotor.jpg

IMG_9928_Fotor.jpg

On 3/30/2019 at 12:43 AM, djflyer said:

Tamiya has their release of the McLaren-Elva 1/24 slot car body on sale on the Tamiya USA website right now for $5.00 (same with their Lola T70).  It looks alot like what I remember of the Monogram release but I havent seen the Monogram one in years.   You can find all three of their available slot car bodies on the plastic models - accessories page.

Fabulous! I just ordered three of each. Should be great swap fodder in the future! B)

• 3 weeks later...

I studied the feasibility of kitbashing these kits.  I'm either crazy, or ambitious. :blink:  Like I don't have a few WIP already that should be completed, here I am jonesing to wreck two more kits.  At this point, this thread is still considered a "review", but it's more accurate as a brainstorming session.

I officially started the 275P by removing parts from the sprue, and glued the nose on.  I tacked together the 360 engine and chassis with tiny amounts of tube glue.  I then measured with the Mauser caliper, and metric ruler.  I drew out the basic shape, to compare basic elements.  The wheelbase is the first task, shorten 7 mm, can take out behind the front wheels.  The front track can be narrowed enough, by shortening the axles and moving the wheel wells in.  The rear track is more challenging, the wheel wells can be moved in a little, but will need to add fender flares.
IMG_0094_Fotor.thumb.jpg.60f441ccc2c1412d98deaaf83b76dd34.jpg

The engine height is more than I want, but I should be able to reduce by cutting down the intake stacks and slimming down the intake plenum a little, maybe reducing the block a tiny bit since it's not really complete due to view-from-above engineering.  Need to make the radiator, perhaps two more each side of the engine (similar to the IMC Ford J-car).  The exhaust can be re-routed with new tips.  The molded in hoses and wiring is neat, but I might hack apart to rearrange, so more detail to do.  I might ditch the side panels, and make all new ones that blend into the 275 body.  Revell took shortcuts with a lack of rear suspension, may scratch-build upper A-arms and spring/shocks (one of my favorite details anyway, Monster Miata project).
IMG_3613_Fotor.thumb.jpg.a22ac38845bcbd5c517830058697f995.jpg

The interior tub will get really hacked up. Will cut off the floor, and get rid of the locating tabs on the pan.  Rear bulkhead will get cut, tub shortened.  The tunnel needs to be reduced in size, just enough for the tiny gear selector and parking brake.  The Mondial seats are huge, thinking of aftermarket seats.  Will keep the original simple dashboard design, but LHD, I have nice instrument decals, and keep the 275 steering wheel but with shifter paddles.

I may cut the lower body sides so they don't slope inward, but I could narrow the pan too.  Rear fender flares, need to decide on designing something like the rocket bunny riveted on type (Ferrari did that to the 308 when developing the 288 GTO), but leaning towards smoothing in with an Enzo type scoop and blending in with a revised rear.  Think I can blend the Mondial's lower valance with the 275P trailing edge, and use two of the 360 taillights.  I'm debating on more mesh grill like the F40.  May need a hump over the engine, perhaps a clear vacuum-formed window.  Will of course have to open the engine lid.  The headlights will be clear lenses with foil reflectors, and vacuum-formed covers.  Thinking of using the 360 door mirrors.

Revell did some strange engineering with the wheels, and disk brakes.  I usually glue the wheels on, so they don't turn anyway, then they aren't way out of alignment when sitting on the table.  Might add photo-etch brake disks.
IMG_0095_Fotor.thumb.jpg.08e2e2c1fbec94441deff9b9faa85ed3.jpg

This thread could go down as the ranting of a madman.  :lol:  I seem to have more ideas, than time.  If I actually begin building this, will start a new topic in the On The Workbench section as the Ferrari 275/360P Restorod.  After typing out what I need to do, think finishing the 1948 Chevy Canopy Express looks a little more feasible for completion. :unsure:

On 3/29/2019 at 11:43 PM, djflyer said:

Thanks for the tip. They are still available. Ordered a set of each. 

On 4/17/2019 at 10:11 AM, unclescott58 said:

Very cool! I hope your going to use the skull driver. It's just warped enough for my sense of humor. 

Prolly not, since it's part of the original release kit, and would need a whole figure.

BTW:  I *had to* start it today.  :D