[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
rastta

Tamiya Mercedes Gullwing

Recommended Posts

My wife bought this for me for Christmas and I've had a fair amount done for a while, but messed up the paint on the shell.  Therefore, the resulting silver didn't turn out so well.  My own fault though - and after three tries I simply settled for the final product.  However, I'm very happy with the rest of the model. 0303190752.thumb.jpg.f9a0b02f1e9aabf1615e883004bdf255.jpg0322191359.thumb.jpg.ebfdfa15416ad5ede96a1312f496664c.jpg0322191436.thumb.jpg.e524306fb6af0b5b39f62fecac030aa2.jpg0322191442.thumb.jpg.67e5820ee6b938413b826127c39d66f2.jpg0322191451e.thumb.jpg.8ba0adeb7fe3f94b722b32e12fcc0b50.jpg0322191451d.thumb.jpg.c3729d936329d08f6ab3357107bb7418.jpg0322191451c.thumb.jpg.ae6eb11e69717ee9b8dbde666f568ff5.jpg0322191442c.thumb.jpg.e54d6bae6fdb06d0a012549fefc4be54.jpg0322191452.thumb.jpg.6681e34662fca28c4aab56f9b174e94d.jpg0322191452a.thumb.jpg.c94ecfc12a58a793a4a83a4cde179140.jpg0322191441.thumb.jpg.14ae9c3ac52bb3ae4f24902d18f6e88b.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stunning build! I'd be very, very pleased with the paint finish on the kit's body.  The detail work on this build is spectacular!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OUTSTANDING!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish my paint jobs turned out half as good as yours, very nice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful looking build. The interior really stands out and I like the way you posed the doors open. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice. This is probably my favorite Mercedes Benz of all time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done.  The dash is impressive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks great. Like the seats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joe, I think it looks terrific! Really well done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice looks great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The most important part, YOU FINISHED IT!  Silver is a PITA, so don't feel bad.  It took me 3 tries on the Mercedes 170V Roadster.  I'm tempted to get one of these kits every time I see one built.  Looks good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice job man. What paint did you use for the silver? I've found that you can get better results with mica and metallic colors by color sanding your second to last coat of paint before clear coating it. You'll get the particles to lay down much smoother.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know these kits are fussy, but everyone, including yourself, seems to make them spectacular.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

great looking build! i tend to leave clear chassis like that too - to show off all the detail!

the openings fit well...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DiscoRover007 said:

Nice job man. What paint did you use for the silver? I've found that you can get better results with mica and metallic colors by color sanding your second to last coat of paint before clear coating it. You'll get the particles to lay down much smoother.

Originally I used Testors Model Master - German Silver Metallic out of my airbrush.  Not sure if it was the paint or just me but the color had a very odd greenish hue to it that didn't go well with the blue interior.  I only did one coat.  I had some minor runs and cleaned it up.   At this point, with the enamel base, I looked for other enamels and made the poor decision to go with Testors Silver metallic in a can.  I needed it for a base for another model I'm doing Candy Apple Red, so I figured I'd give it a shot.  I liked the dullness of the finish and color overall, but it kept settling and pooling no matter how hard I tried to lay down smooth coats.  After cleaning it up a couple times, I shot one final coat.  You can see some bubbling in some of the crevices etc.  I finally said enough is enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

The most important part, YOU FINISHED IT!  Silver is a PITA, so don't feel bad.  It took me 3 tries on the Mercedes 170V Roadster.  I'm tempted to get one of these kits every time I see one built.  Looks good!

Thanks!  Nice build in the Roadster.  The Tamiya kits are always  a nice build.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rastta said:

Originally I used Testors Model Master - German Silver Metallic out of my airbrush.  Not sure if it was the paint or just me but the color had a very odd greenish hue to it that didn't go well with the blue interior.  I only did one coat.  I had some minor runs and cleaned it up.   At this point, with the enamel base, I looked for other enamels and made the poor decision to go with Testors Silver metallic in a can.  I needed it for a base for another model I'm doing Candy Apple Red, so I figured I'd give it a shot.  I liked the dullness of the finish and color overall, but it kept settling and pooling no matter how hard I tried to lay down smooth coats.  After cleaning it up a couple times, I shot one final coat.  You can see some bubbling in some of the crevices etc.  I finally said enough is enough.

You definitely want to ditch the testors enamel silver. Go for Tamiya Mica Silver or Gloss Aluminum for darker silvers. Vallejo has actually released an aerosol version of their silver. I ordered a can to see how close the scale of flake is. Will let you know how that goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks good and as others have said silver can be really difficult to lay down but I think you've done well.  I really like the interior, that dash looks great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it still looks KILLER!!!!….love the blue interior too!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Super nice job on this! I just bought this kit and you've given me something to aspire to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks great.  The interior detail is excellent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.  Yes - the interior is probably my favorite part of the build - and the engine compartment second. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now