Model Cars Magazine Forum

resin tires...

Is there any kind of resin compound out there can make soft tires? I am thinking about taking the so real tires and making a mold at here. But I do not know of any kind of compound to make "rubber". I would like them to be hollow and flexy, just like a 1:1 tire.

Any thoughts?

Edited by meoirosiosi

4 hours ago, meoirosiosi said:

Is there any kind of resin compound out there can make soft tires? I am thinking about taking the so real tires and making a mold. But I do not know of any kind of compound to make "rubber". I would like them to be hollow and flexy, just like a 1:1 tire.

Any thoughts?

There is. I dont know the name of it, but guys like Joseph from Fireball Modelworks uses it. Maybe if you contact him he can tell you the correct name of the resin he uses. I have many sets of his tires and they are a soft resin.

http://www.fireballmodels.info/

• 5 months later...
On 3/25/2019 at 9:37 AM, my66s55 said:

It may not be a resin but a tinted rtv silicon. I do know that I can 3d print hollow tires with a flex uv resin that is bendable.  

Why don't you print some tires that give a break from the same old kit stuff?
Inglewood slicks? %0's -40's tires?
Atlas, Monkey Wards, Voit , that kind of stuff?

I tried the ReoFlex 40 an would say that'd be on the softer side still. I remember some real soft tires in the Revell hot rod 55 chevy that RF40 feels like. You would also have to dye this stuff black an that could cuase problems with mixing an consistency.

I have since gone with Task 14 that is already black but is like the hard rubber tires.

If I where to go after a softer tire now I would still get the RF40 but add black dye to the container until the tires are a happy black. Trying to mix as you go each tire sucks. 

Edited by ScottH454

I'd say you'd need a shore hardness up around 60, maybe even 70. You can color them with Tempera black paint powder. That's what I did when I was making slot car tires (I used Shore 30 and that was even too soft for slicks).

IIRC Smooth-On has a "starter" kit. You get a pound of the stuff, so you can make plenty of mistakes.