Model Cars Magazine Forum

Street Hemi Orange

Hi 

i think I’ve read every post on this site and on 1:1 sites but none seemed to nail down an answer . Most turn into debates about body color instead of engine color.

I am trying to find the right Street Hemi orange to paint a 71 Hemi engine block ( the reddish orange hue). Do most mix their own? Order a can from Mopar performance/summit racing? Anyone use Rust-Oleum Fire Orange?

any best practices appreciated. Thanks 

Thanks I saw that thread but wasn’t definitive although kinda helpful. Sounds like this is the most popular preference:

1) Testor international orange 

2) Model Master Chevy Red

3) Duplicolor Chevy Orange 

Didn’t know if anyone else had something closer ( or willing to share their secret mixing recipe). Will check out the Rust-Oleum Fire Orange too. 

Edited by Super Mario

16 minutes ago, espo said:

Model Master has a "Hemi Orange" spray can. They have an OEM line of paints that would be about as close as you can get. 

That’s actually for painting a body/exterior color even though it’s called Hemi orange; not the correct engine color for a Street Hemi block. It’s confusing.

54 minutes ago, Super Mario said:

That’s actually for painting a body/exterior color even though it’s called Hemi orange; not the correct engine color for a Street Hemi block. It’s confusing.

Correct. "Hemi Orange", as in the canned Testor's stuff, is presumably supposed to be the same as the body paint- which in 1:1, had an extremely fine metal flake in it. It's so fine in fact, that you really couldn't see it on a car unless you got just a foot or two from it.

I'd like to solve this problem, too. To me, Chevy Engine Red is too red, same with Chevy Orange. Regular old Testor's Orange is maybe too bright orange for street Hemi Orange (and not yellow enough for Race Hemi Orange). I want to create some spoon samples I can take to some car shows this summer to compare to the real thing (Street Hemi, Race Hemi, Air Cleaners)...

You could just go with Mopar Street Hemi Orange paint, or even the Duplicolor stuff from Pep Boys, but I agree with the above- it's too thick, as it's been formulated for steel 1:1 engines.

It would be nice if SOMEBODY offered this in Model Enamel. Hemis, and even 440+6's, & 340's, are dead common in scale.    

Edited by CapSat 6

2 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

I want to create some spoon samples I can take to some car shows this summer to compare to the real thing (Street Hemi, Race Hemi, Air Cleaners)...

If I see someone holding painted spoons next to an engine block at a car show you can count on me friend buying lunch/dinner/beer...

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

If Testor Orange is too orange for you, try their Hugger Orange, which is a hair redder, but nowhere near as red as Chevy Engine Red/Orange. 

Ah thanks Snake45 I will definitely check that out.

Edited by Super Mario

9 minutes ago, Super Mario said:

If I see someone holding painted spoons next to an engine block at a car show you can count on me friend buying lunch/dinner/beer...

Right on, Michael!!! Look for me at Chryslers @ Carlisle this year!!!  ;) 

13 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

I've never had a problem with Duplicolor (et al. ) engine paints' consistency ; not too thick , IMO .  Been using engine paint on scale engines for absolutely decades (late 80's at least) --- much more cost-effective than little bottles !

same here

14 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

I've never had a problem with Duplicolor (et al. ) engine paints' consistency ; not too thick , IMO .  Been using engine paint on scale engines for absolutely decades (late 80's at least) --- much more cost-effective than little bottles !

I remember using the Mopar Performance Chrysler Engine blue some time ago (I had some leftover from painting an intake)...it was perhaps too thick for my taste...but maybe Duplicolor is more like their touch up sprays...maybe I’ll get some and give it another try...

1 minute ago, CapSat 6 said:

I remember using the Mopar Performance Chrysler Engine blue some time ago (I had some leftover from painting an intake)...it was perhaps too thick for my taste...but maybe Duplicolor is more like their touch up sprays...maybe I’ll get some and give it another try...

The 'trick' is to base coat the engine's surfaces that're going to be painted with the aerosol (e.g. , flat red base for Chrysler Orange) . as to minimise the number of coats necessary to cover the engine with the aerosol .

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2019 at 1:41 PM, Steamboat said:

I made my own by taking a bottle of Testors yellow that was nearly empty and adding red to it until it matched the color I see in magazines. 20190410_143613.thumb.jpg.96a904daef3508ffa8b7c35da3bce172.jpg

I was going to try that too but start in with orange; didn’t think about mixing yellow and red.