Model Cars Magazine Forum

Your preferred gloss white

I've had to paint a few cars white lately and have noticed I've been having a LOT of trouble with Tamiya's TS-26 Pure white that I usually use. I decant it from the spray can and airbrush it on, but for some reason this paint seems MUCH thinner than their other spray paints, and as a consequence I'm having a difficult time with runs and coverage and such.

What do you guys like to use for white cars? I've heard Rustoleum 2x works well but I've been wary about using that kind of spray can for the models.

Model Master Classic White, airbrushed, hands down. 

It needs to go over a good white primer. My alltime favorite is Floquil Reefer White, now long OOP, though I stocked up with a few bottles in its dying days. Walmart cheap Flat White Primer is also good, but hard to get--I scored some a few months ago but had to special order it through my store, and had to watch their website for a while until they showed it in stock. Model Master Header Flat White is my third choice for a primer. 

14 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Model Master Classic White, airbrushed, hands down. 

It needs to go over a good white primer. My alltime favorite is Floquil Reefer White, now long OOP, though I stocked up with a few bottles in its dying days. Walmart cheap Flat White Primer is also good, but hard to get--I scored some a few months ago but had to special order it through my store, and had to watch their website for a while until they showed it in stock. Model Master Header Flat White is my third choice for a primer. 

Are you talking about the Testors gloss white enamel?

I stopped using that when I was 12!

I remember it as being the worst gloss white paint that I have ever used out of a spray can.

It was so thick that it was impossible not to get severe orange peel with the stuff.

Steve

Most any white, the key is white primer to which I use Stynlrez from an airbrush. My favorite white though is Model Master enamel or even plain old Testors enamel from the little square bottles. Tough to beat MM though. I haven't shot white in a long time but if I did that's what I would use MM enamel... Talking about bodies here, for small parts I'd use acrylic over white primer.

I heat set it though in a dehydrator, not that you have to. But I like to give enamels at least a head start with 1-1/2 to 2 hours at 109 degrees. Then you can handle the parts and not screw anything up ( no finger prints or rub off etc).. 4-6 hours will fully cure it. Acrylics are pretty good in 40 minutes.

I know it’s a bit pricey but the Tamiya white primer goes on fairly thin and smooth as a baby’s butt with near no sanding before overcoating or clearing.  Might be a good alternative to try.

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Are you talking about the Testors gloss white enamel?

I stopped using that when I was 12!

I remember it as being the worst gloss white paint that I have ever used out of a spray can.

It was so thick that it was impossible not to get severe orange peel with the stuff.

Steve

No I am not. Model Master Classic White, 1/2 oz bottles, is a completely different product. I think it was introduced in the '90s. 

12 minutes ago, DPNM said:

I'm another in the Dupli-Color camp. I usually use their Super White over Dupli-Color white primer.

Amazing how many different shades of white there are.

This,

All depends on what I'm trying to replicate

But I quit using anything white enamel years ago due to yellowing if cleared

Edited by gtx6970

14 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

This,

All depends on what I'm trying to replicate

But I quit using anything white enamel years ago due to yellowing if cleared

Same here.

It was to the point for me 30 years ago, where I wouldn't paint anything in light colors because the Testors clear enamel yellowed so bad, and I never painted anything white because the Testors white enamel was atrocious!

This, of course, was before I realized that there were other, and better paints on the planet other than Testors. ;)

Steve

I agree with Steve, Testors being so bad got me started airbrushing long ago. I will take lacquer over enamel any day. Especially  because my cars get allot of decals layed down and a rock hard lacquer finish handles better.

I guess I am missing a lot of drama with white paint. I have used MM white, it's alright. I have used the little Testor's bottle enamel, it's useable. I have used the acrylic Testor's white, one time and it came out great, the second color forced a strip and I went to a lacquer, didn't like it much. stripped again. I finally ended up with Tamiya TS Pure White and Racing White over Tamiya white primer. Used the can direct to the body, came out every time. I have lots of airbrushes and for body painting I have never decanted anything, always have better luck with just spraying from the can. Maybe I am lucky. I do use the airbrushes more than spray cans but for black and white and reds, I have good success with the TS spray cans. My favorite paint is Scalefinishes acrylic enamel, gloss coat paint. I have a cap that screws direct to the bottles and I airbrush away. Easy cleanup and no waste or mess pouring into bottles.

I guess we all find what we like and what works for us. I try things until I find what works best for me.  It took me a long time to try out the Tamiya spray cans but once I did, I really like them.