Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kenworth conventional restoration

While waiting on a couple parts for the International, and a trip to the hobby shop for paint, I dug out the other restoration project. This one I do remember the history of. I don't know how many of you remember an online store that closed a number of years ago called Model Express, just across the border to the north in Canada and owned by a super nice guy named Dennis. Well, this truck was built by him. I have a couple cars on display he built as well. 

So here is what I am starting with. Looks pretty straight forward. Cleaning, light polishing, and reassemble. I even found a set of instructions to help me along. 

If you haven't noticed, I am having a blast digging through my big rig stuff for the first time in five years. :D

20190326_140645.jpg

Thanks Anthony! 

I have been plugging away at it the last couple days and finally have the chassis together.  Dennis did a real nice job on this with how little glue he used.....but that equals lots of parts falling off as you glue more on!  One would think that with all the glue points easy to see that it would all line up, but noooooo, I'm fighting fit issues! I also did a wash to the grille, picked out the emblem, and added high output high beams since they were missing. Nice thing about this model is that I actually have all the missing parts in my parts boxes!

20190327_210957.jpg

20190327_210943.jpg

Edited by Sam I Am

It sure is nice to have all those parts. This model needed half a dozen little parts and they were all in my parts boxes.:D

So things went back together real smooth.....except for the mirrors. Even with old glue points on the model and an instruction sheet, I still do not know if they are right.

....and while going through all the boxes, I found a matching trailer. So the wip continues. I will need new decals though. 

20190404_155139.jpg

20190404_155245.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

After fighting the old trailer and still not looking good enough to put behind the tractor, I again went to the well...the four boxes of trailer parts that is, and found enough pieces to build a new old stock trailer with a few pieces from the old one. I also managed to clean up the wheels and add some detail. 

20190428_210121.jpg

20190428_210313.jpg

Edited by Sam I Am

One more thing. I noticed the box art for the trailer shows it being silver.  I researched it and chrome is not an option, but in the under glass section I  found it built in both silver and in white. I like both but what do you guys think, silver or white ?

On 3/27/2019 at 2:13 AM, Sam I Am said:

I don't know how many of you remember an online store that closed a number of years ago called Model Express, just across the border to the north in Canada and owned by a super nice guy named Dennis. Well, this truck was built by him.

AHHH Yes! I remember that store, I know i bought several kits off him at great prices. the site was modelexpressdotnet i do believe. And ill have to see if i can find a couple kits i bought off him are still around?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...