Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
Al NJ

Box art as art

Recommended Posts

Like others, I like the box art. I thought of un-folding the boxes and putting them in a poster frame. 

I also thought of stacking them on a wall. (I may have seen that somewhere)

I did a quick search but didn’t find anything.

Has anyone done anything creative to display the boxes your kits came in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would either scan the box or try a high resolution photo of it. Then you can repair any damage to the picture and enlarge it to a size that you like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a big fan of the old box art and love searching for an original box to complete some of my builder kits

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, styromaniac said:

20160925_091313.jpg

Hey Steve, is that Big T model complete and unbuilt? I'd like to take that off your hands if so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, magicmustang said:

Unbuilt model kits April 2014.JPG

you really need to thin out your collection id be happy to help 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right now I am just folding up the box tops and pressing them flat to save space. I could likely chuck them, but I know myself, and I know I would wish I didn't sometime in the future!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the photography idea, then I can get rid of the boxes 

Heller kits have some great box art ..if not so hot of actual models

IMG_2213.thumb.JPG.deda05a48bae9341bffaf29bec899f94.JPGIMG_1517.thumb.JPG.9502ea702d6a38254ce12a740938ff5c.JPG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Few things in life are more beautiful to me than AMT's 1966 annual kit boxes. I have maybe a half-dozen originals, and have been VERY happy with Round 2's modern tributes to them. I've bought several of these just for the boxes. They are gorgeous. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have a scanner, you can stick the boxes on those as well.  If you scan them at a high resolution, you can get them printed out for wall art.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, martin9428 said:

Hey Steve, is that Big T model complete and unbuilt? I'd like to take that off your hands if so.

Sorry Scott....as my eye and hand co ordination begins to deteriorate with age I may have to transition to the few 1/8 and 1/16 scale kits I have put aside. If I should decide to thin my collection I will make note of your interest.                   P.S. Where are you in Virginia?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thank you. I am building this kit, although very slowly and wouldn't mind finding another. Please do keep me in mind.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

IMG 1914IMG 1912

Here's two photos of box art on display at the International Model Builders Museum in Utah.   The box bottom was simply tacked to the wall and then the box top was put onto it.  Very cool display.  This is how it looked during my last visit there in 2015.

Edited by Tom Geiger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about box art blown up, and printed on vinyl banner material? As seen on the walls around @Freeman Cars auto restoration shop. All it takes is a few good scans and a letter/email from the current copyright holder granting permission to do so.

IMG_20190401_132211.jpg

IMG_20190401_132153.jpg

IMG_20190401_132107.jpg

IMG_20190401_132049.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i can't imagine ever wanting to hang on to empty boxes. I don't have enough room for full boxes, let alone the empty ones!

I usually just cut the front off and file it along with the instructions.

:)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dirty Dave said:

All it takes is a few good scans and a letter/email from the current copyright holder granting permission to do so.

Explain why you'd need to get permission from the copyright holder to print anything for your own personal use?

I'd get it if you were going to sell copies to people. But, when you just want them on your own walls - I don't think they have a say in what you do with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Explain why you'd need to get permission from the copyright holder to print anything for your own personal use?

I'd get it if you were going to sell copies to people. But, when you just want them on your own walls - I don't think they have a say in what you do with them.

Most print shops will not duplicate copyrighted material without a release, as they ARE selling the print to the customer. So no, if you own your own large format printer, I suppose you wouldn't need anybody's permission.

Edited by Dirty Dave
clarification

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dirty Dave said:

Most print shops will not duplicate copyrighted material without a release, as they ARE selling the print to the customer.

I didn't know that. Good to know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Dirty Dave said:

What about box art blown up, and printed on vinyl banner material? As seen on the walls around @Freeman Cars auto restoration shop. All it takes is a few good scans and a letter/email from the current copyright holder granting permission to do so.

IMG_20190401_132211.jpg

IMG_20190401_132153.jpg

IMG_20190401_132107.jpg

IMG_20190401_132049.jpg

Wow that is great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...