Model Cars Magazine Forum

Beginning a long journey, transfer truck

Since I've been taking my sweet time finishing the 64 low-low I decided to start my biggest undertaking in model building, scratch building parts. This one will take a while as I'm going to try and get it close the first time. I plan to finish this and send it to my uncle. He used to drive transfer trucks until a one in a million accident paralyzed him. Follow along if you dare, lol.

Removed the sleeper, next I guess I'll start working on dimensions of what the box needs to be and make a wooden template for styrene... I'm thinking the best bet is to build most the model as I'm fabricating the boxes. I dunno, first attempt. I always followed the directions but noticed a lot here likes to build major components and then paint. I did the painting and then building. Seems that's the youthful way of doing it. I'm not youthful anymore... Lol

Any comments or suggestions are welcome!! I could use a few pointers.

Thanks for stopping in.

IMG_20190325_211029928.jpg

IMG_20190325_214231494.jpg

IMG_20190325_222150321.jpg

Edited by U_ser_ID

8 minutes ago, Jimbo8v92 said:

Looks like its going to be a really cool project. Sorry to hear about your uncle, im sure he will love a replica of what he used to drive.

Thanks Jimbo, he was a man always on the go, not sure how he's holding up being stuck and no longer independent. Worse thing was about a month ago the car he was in was rear ended, reportedly the car was going 67, and his back and neck were broken again... Such a tragedy.

42 minutes ago, Sam I Am said:

I will be following along. The company my father-in-law works for has transfers and I was wondering how to build one. Fortunately he does not drive one so his truck is easier to replicate. lol

Lol! That does make it easier. I'm going to make it up as I go.. have half an idea of what I'll do. I don't even know how to make a frame but I can Google!