Model Cars Magazine Forum

Autocar dump coming this summer

Yes. The exhaust runs into the body when it's down and it prevents asphalt or wet material from sticking in cold weather. A few of our mack dumps at work have it...but being local I cant say if it makes a difference or not as some trucks here dont jave it and I dont really notice a difference. 

On 5/6/2019 at 9:30 AM, Casey said:

How does the "heated body" work? What is used to heat the dump body, which, I'm assuming, is meant to prevent the load from sticking to the body below a certain temperature?

They can heat it using an exhaust diverter if installed.  (Edit: Sorry, saw that others had replied long before me, woops)

When hauling asphalt or anything sticky like that my Dad just used to spray the box of his County quad-axle with a thin layer of diesel from a garden sprayer. Worked all day long and cleanup went easy.

Edited by hpiguy

They used diesel over here too to prevent the asfalt from sticking but with all environmental issues nowadays they have gone over to some sort of vegetable oil instead...it doesn't work better by all means but some say it's safer for the environment.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, GLMFAA1 said:

Weren't there wide floatation tires in the original kit?

2v2EhW7WLxwhifW.jpg

It looks like Firestone Floatation tires were previously included:

s-l1600.jpg

Which was the last issue of the Autocar Dump Truck to include them?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 5/10/2019 at 2:30 PM, hpiguy said:

They can heat it using an exhaust diverter if installed.  (Edit: Sorry, saw that others had replied long before me, woops)

When hauling asphalt or anything sticky like that my Dad just used to spray the box of his County quad-axle with a thin layer of diesel from a garden sprayer. Worked all day long and cleanup went easy.

That's what I did hauling road mix in freezing temperatures!

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Its a really old kit but everything fits ok and a fair amount of detail but.........  This kit has what is probably the worst set of instructions I've ever seen.  The parts on the sprue are numbered but the instructions don't show any part numbers at all.  On top of that related parts are scattered on separate sprues. The drawings on the instruction are very vague as to where a specific part is supposed to go.     It's like a 3D jig saw puzzle.  

Well all of the AMT truck kits are old as they were originally issued between 1969 and 1982-83 with the main part of the truck kit releases in the early to mid 1970's, the first issue of this particular model kit came in 1972 as kit # T-817...so it for sure has it's flaws and issues.