Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pics- An M2 '69 Camaro I modified.

Geno

July Display: Calendar Mustang is billed as a ’70 Boss 302 but I think it’s a clone—no stripes, and a Mach I type hood scoop—in Grabber Blue. Diecast is a Maisto ’70 Boss 301 in Grabber Green. I matched make, model, and year, but not color. Pretty close.

Calendar Corvette is a white ’60 with silver coves. Model is a Revell diecast kit ’62 in Fawn Beige, closest I had—right make and model, wrong year and color. I have the same wheel covers, though!

JulyDisplay03.thumb.JPG.5c5fbd88017b86310d2f85dda19aa2ca.JPG

1 hour ago, Gramps46 said:

Looking good.  I have the Corvette which was boxed as a Route 66 release and I like it a lot.  

My boxing said "Hollywood Wheels" or something of the kind. Nothing about Route 66. I went looking for it on google and couldn't find another box like mine--every single one I saw was a Route 66. 

• 5 weeks later...

August Display: Musclecar Calendar Car: ’65 Malibu SS , dark blue or black with aftermarket Halibrand-ish wheels. Diecast Model: Maisto ’65 Malibu SS Pro Street, very dark blue with Cragar-ish wheels. Pretty darn close!

Corvette Calendar Car: ’63 Coupe, gold, with wheel covers. Diecast Model: Well ’63 Coupe, red, with wheel covers. I matched everything but the color. Not bad. B)

AugDisplay01.thumb.JPG.4af6a4515541b3799b24959c95192727.JPG

• 1 month later...

September display: Calendar musclecar is a dark (black, dark blue, dark green?) with white stripes ’70 Chevelle SS HT. I have a built Monogram ’70 Chevelle SS plastic model, but would rather not risk it in transport, so went with my Motor Max ’70 El Camino SS  in red with black stripes figuring I’d probably never get another chance to use it. And they look the same in head-on view.  So I matched make and year, but not exact model or color. Oh well.

Calendar Camaro is a modified ’67, red with white Z/28 stripes and front spoiler.  It’s captioned as a “Camaro 350” but if it were a real ’67 350 it would have to be an SS, which it’s not, and I doubt it’s a real ’67 Z/28 either. My diecast is my new Welly ’68 Z/28, red with white stripes. So I matched make, model, and color, but not year. Best I could do.

SepDisplay03.thumb.JPG.3c47cf7d0a6da5702552711c05c91fc1.JPG

Head-on view is kind of boring, so I’ll probably display them like this most of the time.

SepDisplay07.thumb.JPG.b99779aeceb48f438f18c90c34aca256.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Mid-Month Substitution: Last weeked at the local toy show, I scored a damaged Franklin Mint ’70 Chevelle in dark blue that seemed to be a closer match to the calendar than the bright red Elky. This weekend I was able to effect the most necessary repairs so I could bring it in and display it for the bottom half of the month. (I’ll be posting details on the FM Chevelle and how I repaired it shortly, I hope.)

SepDisplay11.thumb.JPG.c244caf9ec2207ce11d47830d2682ca7.JPG

SepDisplay14.thumb.JPG.b8bfa588f1268281f5956369c287c9aa.JPG

7 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Mid-Month Substitution: Last weeked at the local toy show, I scored a damaged Franklin Mint ’70 Chevelle in dark blue that seemed to be a closer match to the calendar than the bright red Elky. This weekend I was able to effect the most necessary repairs so I could bring it in and display it for the bottom half of the month. (I’ll be posting details on the FM Chevelle and how I repaired it shortly, I hope.)

Those Chevelles seem to get beat a lot.   Or you have to pay sky high prices.   I guess they get played with?  Mine seemed to have led a rough life when I got it.   Needed repairs as well.   That will make a nice thread though - repairing the Chevelle.   I might be able to contribute a few things to that as well.  

1 hour ago, randyc said:

Those Chevelles seem to get beat a lot.   Or you have to pay sky high prices.   I guess they get played with?  Mine seemed to have led a rough life when I got it.   Needed repairs as well.   That will make a nice thread though - repairing the Chevelle.   I might be able to contribute a few things to that as well.  

Yah, this one might have been played with. Or dropped at least once. Biggest problem was it's missing the left front fender cap/headlight bucket. I made one from a Monogram '70 Chevelle body--not a perfect match, but close enough. It's also missing the driver's door handle and the hood pin on the right side, neither of which I bothered with at this point (but that's why I'm displaying the passenger side, of course). It also had a bunch of very tiny chips and scratches in the paint. Oh well, the price was right. B)

• 2 weeks later...

October display: Calendar Mustang: 2015 Mustang EcoBoost in red or orange. Diecast: 2016 Shelby GT350R in blue. This was the closest I had. What can I say?

Calendar Camaro: ’68 SS396 in green. Diecast: Welly ’68 Z/28 in yellow. A little closer—I matched make, model and year, but not sub-model or color, but not bad. This is the same model (Welly) I had up last month, except that one is red. The more I look at these Welly ’68 Camaros, the better I like them. I think they’re more accurate in shape than either the AMT ’67-’68 or Revell ’67 kits, at least as they come out of the box. The only “bad” thing about them is they’re 1/24 instead of 1/25.

The calendar Musclecar this month is a ’69 Dodge Daytona in dark blue. I don’t have any built or diecast Daytonas, but I do have a serviceable '69 Charger in dark blue (a glue bomb rescue of a couple years ago). Should I have gone with that instead of this month’s Mustang?  

And for those of you who might be wanting to play along next year, October is when Walmart starts displaying the new calendars—can’t tell you exactly when, but start looking now because some of them sell out fast. (You can get them elsewhere, but they cost $15-16, while they’re $4.99 at Walmart.) At my store they’re usually on an end cap in the school/office supplies section.

OctDisplay5.thumb.JPG.c4b16687e19c68294593e502f981a86a.JPG

I've neen thinking this should have it's own thread.   Then folks could play along.   I buy a claendar from Auto Archaeologist every year that has photos the guy finds in his searches as a consignor.   It's pretty cool, but would be impossible to do this with.   This month's photo is an old GMC bread truck (for lack of a better term) sitting in the edge of the woods.   But he has had more mainstream stuff.   A rusted out Charger, etc.  

But yes,  I think a separate thread would be great.  I'll look at WM when I go tonight.   Around here in the Bible belt, Wednesday evening is the best time to go because a lot of folks are at WEd night church services.  not this heathen though....

59 minutes ago, randyc said:

I've neen thinking this should have it's own thread.   Then folks could play along. 

Now I'm kinda thinking of starting the dedicated thread NOW, when the calendars start showing up at Walmart, rather than after the first of the year, when you'd be lucky to find one or two of the four still in stock. 

BTW, if we're gonna do it, it won't be limited to the calendars available at Walmart. As you mention, there are numerous types of car calendars available, including classics, antiques, exotics, and so forth. The idea is to get as close as possible to This Month's Car with a diecast or model--and to have the two publicly displayed together. How's that sound?

Good news, bad news. 

Just got back from Walmart. The 2020 calendars are out now. The bad news is that they only had the Musclecars one, no Corvette, no Camaro, no Mustang. Even worse, the whole rack is clearly and semi-permanently labeled with what calendar goes where, and none of the other slots were labeled for other cars. Maybe the display will change in a few weeks or near the end of the year, who knows. 

But I've seen car calendars other places, including at Ollie's and dollar stores. So keep your eyes open in your travels and grab any that look good wherever you find 'em. 

• 4 weeks later...

November display!

Calendar Mustang: 2013 Shelby in white with red stripes. Diecast: 2007 Shelby in red with white stripes. I have a 2012 Boss 302 (red), but the ’07 Shelby is probably closer visually, with the stripes and all.

Calendar Camaro: ’73 in purple (non-factory), on Cragars, “Z/28” (maybe, maybe not), and notice this is not a Rally Sport, it’s a standard front with the center section of the bumper cut away. Diecast: I don’t think I’ve ever seen a diecast 2G Camaro, and I sure don’t have one. Closest I could get was my Welly ’72 Trans Am in Lucerne Blue.

My Musclecar and Corvette options this month weren’t good. The Musclecar is a yellow ’69 Firebird 400. I don’t have a ’69 Firebird, don’t even have a yellow ’69 Camaro. The Corvette is a blue ’59, closest I have is the gold ’62, which I’ve already displayed here this year. So it’s the ’07 Shelby and the ’72 TA. Maybe I can get closer next month.

NovDisplay3.thumb.JPG.17a50efcc5a8d9898f703f6ec1ad94c7.JPG