Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 40 ford pickup kitbash

I've been visiting this forum for years now. And I can't remember having shared any of my previous build yet.

So here is a small kitbash i've started last night.

The main kit is the well know Monogram 40 ford pickup but I'll make some modifications using spare parts from my personal stash
The main goal is to mix part from 40 and 32 with a pro-touring feeling

Lots of work to come as I'm playing with my saw and files :)

Sorry for my incorrect English, I'm from Belgium and my mother tongue is French.

190329053437997817.jpg

190329053438591033.jpg

190329053436154519.jpg

Edited by denis speed shop
needed more details

I'm very impressed with your rear suspension design . I'm wondering if the upper Air Bag mounts are going to effect how the pick up bed mounts to the frame. Looking at the stock frame and your new frame it appears that the stock frame has the bed mounts level with the frame "kick up"  and your modified frame has the Bag mounts on top of the frame. You may have already compensated for this on the bottom side of the Bed. 

1 hour ago, espo said:

I'm very impressed with your rear suspension design . I'm wondering if the upper Air Bag mounts are going to effect how the pick up bed mounts to the frame. Looking at the stock frame and your new frame it appears that the stock frame has the bed mounts level with the frame "kick up"  and your modified frame has the Bag mounts on top of the frame. You may have already compensated for this on the bottom side of the Bed. 

you are right and I'm actualy considering 2 options :

1/ raised the floor inside the pickup bed -> it is necessary but it would hide the work done underneath

2/ no bed at all but a nice bed cover

not sure yet

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 11:12 AM, denis speed shop said:

you are right and I'm actualy considering 2 options :

1/ raised the floor inside the pickup bed -> it is necessary but it would hide the work done underneath

2/ no bed at all but a nice bed cover

not sure yet

Raising the floor would require some surgery but it doesn't look like anything you would have trouble doing. Raising the whole bed may be an option depending on how the bed lines follow the lines of the cab. If you don't plan on detailing the inside of the bed and a bed cover could work well with the overall look, just cut a small opening in the bed floor to allow the bag mounts to go up into the bed floor. Than as you mentioned a bed cover would hide everything and keep the lines between the bed and the cab looking stock. Again, great job on the rear suspension and I like the fuel cell mounting. Another option might be to cut a hole in the bed floor to allow the mount to inter the bed floor. The floor of the bed might not be any thicker than the bag mount. This would allow the bag mount to become a design element of the bed floor.   

Edited by espo

• 3 weeks later...

I've been working on the new front end setup, one step at a time

I realised It was the first time I tried to do so many little adjustments et scratchbuild/modified parts.
Meaning I also had to relocate the engine height and the transmission too.
Building a new tunnel was not optional as the transmission is running over the cab floor and not under it anymore

190430012933832701.jpg

190430012723857614.jpg

190430012725634922.jpg

190430012724345910.jpg

190430012723334739.jpg

2 hours ago, Jantrix said:

Are the control arms something that you've adapted for this use, or something you've hand formed? This looks really good.

Hello Kurt,

control arms are small metal paper clips and styrene tubing
no more, no less

the first draft showed they were too long
I had to revise my copy and you can see the final result on the 3rd picture

They are shorter and I added some grey hex nuts from MEG (normal use is for military modelling I think)