Model Cars Magazine Forum

Canadian location for photoetched parts

Hey all. I am just looking for any canadian location for photoetched parts. Especially for NASCAR stock cars.

I tried detail master and other american sites, and the shipping, duty and taxes turned a 9.99 part into 65.99 I about pooped myself. Anyone have any locations ?

I've ordered PE from Detail Master and other suppliers before and I've never had shipping costs that high. Were you asking for next day delivery or something ?

Unless your local hobby shop carries them, your going to have to buy them from the states. Two of my LHS do carry PE parts but only the bare minimum. If I want something specail I have to pay a bit more because of the cost of shipping. Sorry, but we'er a captive audience when it comes to shipping costs.

Edited by kitbash1

5 hours ago, kitbash1 said:

I've ordered PE from Detail Master and other suppliers before and I've never had shipping costs that high. Were you asking for next day delivery or something ?

Unless your local hobby shop carries them, your going to have to buy them from the states. Two of my LHS do carry PE parts but only the bare minimum. If I want something specail I have to pay a bit more because of the cost of shipping. Sorry, but we'er a captive audience when it comes to shipping costs.

My apologies it was southern motorsports hobbies that was the 40.00 shipping. The problem I was having with detail master was completing checkout. It owuld not acept visa or paypal, both of which had adequate funds.

There should be no duty on it if it was a USA made item. Brokerage fee is something that UPS always tried to charge me, but I would notify them as soon as I had a tracking number to "hold at depot, buyer will do brokerage".  Then  would go there, pick up the paperwork and take it to the local customs office and pay the GST. When I show UPS that the taxes are paid they release the shipment. This worked well for me because I could leave work anytime and all were in the same area. For vendors that offer free shipping to the lower 48 states, I would get it shipped to a parcel service just across the border and go pick it up from there.

Greg

I do not buy much PE but I suppose someone on the board could procure your items for you and ship them if pehaps you paid in advance.  It's probably no more risky than ordering from a vendor.  The US shipping portion should be pretty low.  Just a thought.

A good source for photo etch and aftermarket parts is the Hobby Centre In Ottawa (www.hobcen.com). They do a lot of mail order, and they get in a lot of aftermarket from collections, which means if you are looking for something discontinued, they may have it in stock.

11 hours ago, Heartattaq said:

Closest border to me is 2 hours away in sault ste. MarieSault Ste. Marie

That is relatively far.

I use a mail service south of the border for packages from the US when shipping is cost prohibitive. They usually charge a flat rate of something like $2 to receive, hold the package, and notify when it comes in. I am closer to the border, so it isn't too big a deal to drive down and pick up packages in-person.

There are mail services that will receive packages and also forward them on to a Canadian address, but it would likely be more than the $2 fee. 

https://www.reship.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIidDO3dSr4QIV-SCtBh0rOwRaEAAYASAAEgIowPD_BwE#/

^^ something like this might be worth looking into

On 29/03/2019 at 10:40 PM, Heartattaq said:

My apologies it was southern motorsports hobbies that was the 40.00 shipping. The problem I was having with detail master was completing checkout. It owuld not acept visa or paypal, both of which had adequate funds.

Was the $40 in shipping automatically calculated? Maybe contact them and ask about it. Some shipping rates that are automatically calculated at check out are way off base. I have found that most retailers will adjust them accordingly if you contact them and ask. Especially for something like photoetch that can be shipped in an envelope with a bit of cardboard to keep it from getting bent. Have you tried eBay? There are several sellers on there that will ship for actual shipping cost.

On 30/03/2019 at 8:40 AM, NOBLNG said:

There should be no duty on it if it was a USA made item. Brokerage fee is something that UPS always tried to charge me, but I would notify them as soon as I had a tracking number to "hold at depot, buyer will do brokerage".  Then  would go there, pick up the paperwork and take it to the local customs office and pay the GST. When I show UPS that the taxes are paid they release the shipment. This worked well for me because I could leave work anytime and all were in the same area. For vendors that offer free shipping to the lower 48 states, I would get it shipped to a parcel service just across the border and go pick it up from there.

Greg

UPS got into trouble over there brokerage fee scam. There was a class action lawsuit launched in Ontario several years ago which recently was decided and the judgment came down against UPS. The payout was something like 6.8 million dollars. There is currently at least one more class action lawsuit against them for the same scam in BC.

7 hours ago, Toner283 said:

Was the $40 in shipping automatically calculated? Maybe contact them and ask about it. Some shipping rates that are automatically calculated at check out are way off base. I have found that most retailers will adjust them accordingly if you contact them and ask. Especially for something like photoetch that can be shipped in an envelope with a bit of cardboard to keep it from getting bent. Have you tried eBay? There are several sellers on there that will ship for actual shipping cost.

$40.00 shipping from USA to Canada for a photo etched fret is outrageous when the photo etch fret itself fits in a regular envelope and can go as regular post, I wouldn't pay that even if the stuff was going over here to Sweden on the other side on the Atlantic Ocean.

55 minutes ago, Force said:

$40.00 shipping from USA to Canada for a photo etched fret is outrageous when the photo etch fret itself fits in a regular envelope and can go as regular post, I wouldn't pay that even if the stuff was going over here to Sweden on the other side on the Atlantic Ocean.

This kind of stuff has held me back from ordering several times as well. I live in Europe and understand shipping costs, but sometimes it's just too much... Shops automatically calculating like this won't get my order...

6 hours ago, matthijsgrit said:

This kind of stuff has held me back from ordering several times as well. I live in Europe and understand shipping costs, but sometimes it's just too much... Shops automatically calculating like this won't get my order...

That is what I'm saying, quite often the shops do not realize that the automatic shipping calculator on their websites have a major brain fart when it comes to foreign orders. I cannot remember who I was ordering from a while back but it was something similar, it was about a $10 part and it was $25 for shipping and once I brought it to his attention he was as shocked as I was. He calculated the actual shipping on the part weight and it was around a $6 charge.

You have to try and remember that the guy who designs the website and the guy who makes the parts and runs the business are usually not the same person. If no one brings it to their attention they cannot fix it. I have even seen websites that say if you are a foreign buyer please contact us for a shipping quote as the shipping calculator will not give you a correct total. IMO, it is worth the time to send them a simple email to ask if the shipping total is correct. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Edited by Toner283
Spelling

On 3/30/2019 at 8:40 AM, NOBLNG said:

Greg

That seems like a helluva lot of work for such a small purchase (no pun intended).  I live near and work out of border town Niagara Falls, ON.  Would not even occur to me to put the time and effort into driving around town.  However, each their own - all the power to you if you can make the effort worth while.  The brokerage fees typically do not outweigh the cost of my fuel and time.

That said, this is EXACTLY why I avoid vendors like the plague that ship with UPS exclusively.  Here's why: I once won an eBay auction for some custom floor mats, costing me $0.25+S&H.  The seller declared the item for the full retail value and UPS charge me $50.00 brokerage before they would hand over the parcel.  Would have personally declined the shipment, but a family member accepted the package on my behalf and paid cash out of pocket.  Lesson learned!

Been a while since I ordered from Detail Master, though I have been a repeat customer for years.  Never paid more than $25.00 USD for S&H with USPS and no additional brokerage fees.

However, when you consider the minimum purchase is roughly $20 - $30 USD +  $25.00 USD for S&H, $60 + when converted to CAD doesn't seem all that far off.

I sell on eBay an recently set up the global shipping program so it was easier to ship out of states. I had a Canadian make a $2.00 purchase an paid $18 for shipping. Only one of the three emails showed their total shipping, nowhere on the site does. So if I didn't bother checking an email I wouldn't have known what was charged. From what I gathered they are charge to ship to in states address then charged again to ship outside. Shipping to Canada is only $10 under 5 or 8 oz parcel. You might look for someone down here that can ship you your items.

On 3/29/2019 at 5:03 PM, Heartattaq said:

Hey all. I am just looking for any canadian location for photoetched parts. Especially for NASCAR stock cars.

I tried detail master and other american sites, and the shipping, duty and taxes turned a 9.99 part into 65.99 I about pooped myself. Anyone have any locations ?

I would contact Detail Master directly to get things sorted out with your account, or set one up.

Just tried a mock purchase on their website and S&H was going to be $7.00 USD for my purchase.  Very reasonable!

Unfortunately, I don't recall the owner's name, but they are very helpful and this vendor is one of the better ones in the small industry.  Give it a try