Model Cars Magazine Forum

R2 April 2019

Sledsel

7 minutes ago, espo said:

I have to wonder just how many COPO Chevelle's were ordered with a vinyl roof ?    

Last I heard, they didn't even know how many 9562 Chevelles were built, though I think they did eventually pin down how many coded engines were made for them (including anticipated replacement needs). You can be sure that at least some were ordered with vinyl top. If you want to build a model 9562, you can either start with pics of a documented car, or just build it the way you would have ordered it yourself in 1969. Odds are, someone, somewhere probably did. B)

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I just move the bar at the bottom until I see something interesting, and then let it play. Rarely do I have more than 1-2 minutes invested in watching these things. 

Right on, Snake. I always plow my way past the chaff.

Would've been nifty to have had the Formula hood after all those decades, but meh - I'm still into the idea of the Firebird with the flares and wings being optional, as ugly as the gaps will be(opposed to the molded on ones on the Revell and Monogram 1/25th and 1/24th kits), it'll definitely making a bog standard non-Formula/TA version easy as can be. Bit of a bare month again on the kit front though.

4 hours ago, Rusty92 said:

Still being new to the hobby, I like the reissues. Thanks Round 2.  Remember, most of you guys have seen this stuff before, some of us have not... maybe these reissues you dislike will interest someone else.. (me)

Bingo!

I was out of the hobby for decades, came back in during my late 30s. All these kits are 'new' to me. Kits I saw as a kid but never owned or built. I love it. 

I'll look at the diecast stuff from time to time as I like a very good, well proportioned one. Not much interests me this month though. The Dodge truck while not a bad kit at all, I never really cared for the looks of it compared to Chevy and Ford. That era Trans Am might be worth looking at. I don't care for the T-Tops though for that year. Although I'm sure it was patterned after the actual car, they look too much like an afterthought to me.

I'd rather build it without 'em.

9 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I just move the bar at the bottom until I see something interesting, and then let it play. Rarely do I have more than 1-2 minutes invested in watching these things. 

This is all need to do if you dont care for any of the content that is not model kit related, not that hard too, even a cave man could do it:lol:

Edited by martinfan5

Backdate that Firebird / Trans Am to a 1976 & earlier model , and I'll buy one or ten ( never been a fan of the '77 - '81 models... WoOf ! ) .

Looking forward to the D-100 --- last time that I had access to the long bed kit was when the 1978 annuals were new ! 

The garage stuff looks nice without a doubt . I only wish that they would have made the old in-ground lifts as well as the newer (and safer and cleaner) "above" ground lifts .

Who knows ? Maybe that 1972 Nova will finally be running again . It appears that the mechanic is working steadfastly upon correcting its inaccuracies ! 

9 hours ago, Jon Cole said:

Yeah, it opens. But that doesn't excuse the sloppy black edge. Looks like someone went around the engine bay with a big paintbrush.

You're right. But thats what you get with poorly molded diecasts, huge gaps. 

19 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I do that too, but a one second glance on a picture of the releases will immediately tell if there are something of interest.

1977 ZAM: Did anyone else see the bottom of the box where it says it's molded in blue? I've built squillions of nearly every Firebird/Trans Am ever kitted, though I've never done a 74-76.

TAKE MY MONEY: Make a 74-76 backdate, and I'll buy ALL of 'em.

16 minutes ago, Stef said:

1977 ZAM: Did anyone else see the bottom of the box where it says it's molded in blue? I've built squillions of nearly every Firebird/Trans Am ever kitted, though I've never done a 74-76.

TAKE MY MONEY: Make a 74-76 backdate, and I'll buy ALL of 'em.

Either a backdate ( of a long-in-the-tooth tool) OR an all-new tooling '73-'74 SD-455 --- that would be better !

I've said it before and I'll say it again : 1976 was the last year-of-Trans Am-Firebird that I like --- those square headlamps and full-width tail lamps just killed it for me . 

21 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Either a backdate ( of a long-in-the-tooth tool) OR an all-new tooling '73-'74 SD-455 --- that would be better !

I've said it before and I'll say it again : 1976 was the last year-of-Trans Am-Firebird that I like --- those square headlamps and full-width tail lamps just killed it for me . 

THE GOOD: Revellogram could easily rework their 70 Trans Am into a 73 SD. And with just a little more work, could create a nice 74-76

THE RAD: Round2 could exhume/retool MPC's old 74-76 kits

THE FUNKY: Somebody creates an all-new 74-76 kit

And what's up with the red version shown in the upper right corner of the T/A box art?

is leaving the rear spoiler off supposed to qualify as an alternate version?  Since the rear spoiler was standard on the T/A, that doesn't really work, especially with the molded in air extractors on the fenders.  Now if they went ahead and tooled up a new Formula hood or a plain Firebird hood, I'd give them a pass.

I still have a '90s reissue of this one sitting in the box, mid-conversion to a base Firebird.  Filled the hood hole with scrap plastic, but didn't care enough to put in all the work to smooth it and get the contours right.

I agree with all of you wanting a 74-76 Firebird/Trans Am. I think that would be a pretty good seller, I know I would be good for at least two. We also need a re-issue of the 70-73 style, with Firebird, 400 Trans Am, and SD455 options available in the same box. I would be forced to buy 2 or 3 of those too.

2 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

I agree with all of you wanting a 74-76 Firebird/Trans Am. I think that would be a pretty good seller, I know I would be good for at least two. We also need a re-issue of the 70-73 style, with Firebird, 400 Trans Am, and SD455 options available in the same box. I would be forced to buy 2 or 3 of those too.

I agree too, but I doubt we'll ever see such from R2. 

On 3/29/2019 at 3:14 PM, Richard Bartrop said:

Gotta love love how people rush in to let us all know how bored they are.

The one thing that leapt out at me is the Johnny Lightning Cobra Coupe.

Now, people have said that the problem with getting a reasonably priced i.e. under three figures Cobra Coupe  kit, has been licensing issues, and I've accepted that, but here's Round 2 running off a bunch of little diecast coupes, and I'm guessing they figure they can turn a profit.   So we have companies like Model Factory Hiro selling their gold plated multimedia kits, and Round 2 selling their cheap little diecasts, and you tell me that nobody can turn a profit selling a kit that falls in between these two extremes?  Call me just a wee bit skeptical.

and there in, the paradox :huh:

On 3/29/2019 at 3:14 PM, Richard Bartrop said:

Gotta love love how people rush in to let us all know how bored they are.

The one thing that leapt out at me is the Johnny Lightning Cobra Coupe.

Now, people have said that the problem with getting a reasonably priced i.e. under three figures Cobra Coupe  kit, has been licensing issues, and I've accepted that, but here's Round 2 running off a bunch of little diecast coupes, and I'm guessing they figure they can turn a profit.   So we have companies like Model Factory Hiro selling their gold plated multimedia kits, and Round 2 selling their cheap little diecasts, and you tell me that nobody can turn a profit selling a kit that falls in between these two extremes?  Call me just a wee bit skeptical.

Yup, this. ^^

Don't get me wrong, where licensing is a thing, it's a legitimate THING. 

Still 'n all, I gotta wonder sometimes where that fact has been leveraged a bit to excuse marketing impulses begetting a new Aerovette kit(?!) or a cartoon-shellacked Rambler convertible snapper over the Cobra Daytona we've clamored about for decades.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis