Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another test paint job that turned out well!

rsxse240

I liked a color of nail polish I saw at the store while waiting for the wife to gather her H&BA goods.  It was pretty cheap, at $1.50 for 1/2oz jar (or there about).  It was called  Sassy Lassy (green metal flake) by Sinful Colors. 

I quickly found out that it was a clear coat with green metal flake and no actual pigment, but pressed on...lol I made a pun...

So, green flake over Testors Flat Black, over Model Master Green Zinc Chromate, and over Blue Angel Yellow.  

IMG_20190329_232903473.thumb.jpg.2f5142d16b02ab30dbdb927a0387fa85.jpg

The yellow, was first and OBVIOUSLY not green at all!  The Zinc Chromate was second (the middle spoon), so I tried the flat black and loved it.  So I mixed up the whole bottle about 30% paint to 70% lacquer thinner and shot at a very low pressure... about 15psi through my Paasche VL with #3 needle.  Found a kit that needed this color and tried it out.  This is what I got:

IMG_20190323_212823207.thumb.jpg.00644673984a0499d7ec6b3aeefc4377.jpg

IMG_20190323_212737698.thumb.jpg.c97aac3186ff07b675ef8f1adccb75b0.jpg

VID_20190323_212858758.mp4

Yes, the nail polish isle is a great place for colors, but be aware, they are usually priced about like House of Color paint.  Like $10/bottle.  I always look at the cheap stuff.  If it's more than a few dollars, I walk on past.

Not the flashiest of colors, but it easily works for some stuff. I like your test subject. Looks like it sprayed well for you. What do you thin it with? and what psi do you usually shoot nail polish at?

Edited by LouO

The paint on the car turned out very nice.

I shop the aisle at WM every once in a while. As you said, some nail polish is pricey.

If it's under $2.00 a bottle and it's a color I like I try to get two or three of them. Tis better to have too much than not enough.

Sadly I was polishing the clear and there were some bumps in the base black, which came up through the paint as I was wet sanding and left black speckles everywhere.  I have wet sanded the whole car and will be spraying another coat of the green this evening, since I can't work on the real cars in the driveway.  Pics to come shortly.

On 3/31/2019 at 10:01 PM, LouO said:

Not the flashiest of colors, but it easily works for some stuff. I like your test subject. Looks like it sprayed well for you. What do you thin it with? and what psi do you usually shoot nail polish at?

I thinned this with a medium "temperature" lacquer thinner from Orilley Auto Parts.  I have used the Kleen Strip brand but it was too hot and would dry before hitting the body causing a very grainy texture.  Also it seems the Orilley stuff seems to mix into the paint as opposed to dissolving the carrier (if that makes sense), as the Kleen Strip brand does.

The pressure is very subjective with nail polish.  Most times you want a very low pressure and build up very thin coats, but with the size and quantity of flake in this paint, I had to crank up the pressure and REALLY open up the needle.  I used a #3 needle in my Paasche VL at about 25-30 PSI to keep it wet and flowing until it was on the car body.