Model Cars Magazine Forum

Are these both AMT Rigs? Help!

Hi guys / gals, my uncle is downsizing and is giving me these two rigs from his youth.

I’m 99% sure one is a Movin’ On Kenworth, and I figure the cab over is a Kenny too, can anyone identify the brand so I can hunt down some instructions to guide my >attempted< rebuild? I know they’re rough but I’m gonna try.

Thanks in advance!

AEABE07A-0EA5-4E32-98CA-CCFE67096FFD.jpeg

3F37728A-F490-4754-BB27-55FC5BE83C62.jpeg

Yes, I believe that all of that is AMT.  The conventional is the "Movin On" W925, but any on the AMT W925 instructions should do.  The COE is the AMT Kenworth K123, the van is the AMT Exterior Port Van, and the other trailer is the AMT Livestock trailer.

Your best chance for instructions is here: https://public.fotki.com/modeltrucks25thscale/  Check under Model Kits Archives under AMT, AMT/Ertl, & AMT/Matchbox.

5 hours ago, redneckrigger said:

Some of those older cabover kits came with the torsion bar suspension, the newer ones did not. Nice kits to come across, to be sure!

If you look at the second pic, both of these have the Hendrickson suspension on them, and the W925 also had an early version with the torsion bar suspension. I just recently won one in a Facebook auction group I'm in of the original issue Watkins W925 with the torsion bar suspension for a price so low I feel like I stole it! 

The torsion bar versions of the K123 and W925 was not on the market for a very long time, that suspension was re-tooled and disappeared sometime after the T559 Kenworth Challege Transit Mixer kit wich still had the torsion bars.
The AMT early Kenworth kits has has allways had the K123 and W925 designations but that's a bit confusing.
The chassis designation ending with *25 tells that it should have Lighter Weight Tandem Drive on Torsion Bars so the W925 was correct when the T519 Kenworth W925 kit first came out in 1971 with Torsion Bars, but they changed to Walking beam and the kit should be designated W923 after that.
The chassis designation ending with *23 tells it should have Lighter Weight Tandem Drive on 4-Spring, Hendrickson Walking Beam, Timken Lightweight Camelback type, 4-Bag Air Ride etc. but the T520 Kenworth K123 kit had Torsion Bars when it first came out in 1971 so K123 was wrong at the time, but they changed to Walking Beam and K123 is correct now.

Here are links to the instructions for these kits.
Movin On W925: https://public.fotki.com/modeltrucks25thscale/truckkit_instructions/amt/t519_kenworth_conve/
K123: https://public.fotki.com/modeltrucks25thscale/truckkit_instructions/amt/t520_kenworth_k123/
Wilson Livestock Van: https://public.fotki.com/modeltrucks25thscale/truckkit_instructions/amt/t594_wilson_livesto/
Exterior Post Van: https://public.fotki.com/modeltrucks25thscale/truckkit_instructions/amt/0711-exterior-post-van/

Edited by Force

11 hours ago, highway said:

If you look at the second pic, both of these have the Hendrickson suspension on them, and the W925 also had an early version with the torsion bar suspension. I just recently won one in a Facebook auction group I'm in of the original issue Watkins W925 with the torsion bar suspension for a price so low I feel like I stole it! 

Tried to see what the suspension was, but my eyes just ain't that good! I USED to have both the conventional and cabover kits with the torsion suspension, but sadly, no longer.

Edited by redneckrigger

25 minutes ago, redneckrigger said:

Tried to see what the suspension was, but my eyes just ain't that good! I USED to have both the conventional and cabover kits with the torsion suspension, but sadly, no longer.

Oh, I can understand the eyes not being what they used to be! Over the past couple years mine have went from where I needed a set of magnifying reading glasses just for fine detail work to needing them just to work on a model now. The worst was the past month though after finding out I have diabetes and while my body was adjusting to taking insulin, my eyes went from clear vision to a blur where I needed those reading glasses just to see. Thankfully everything cleared back up to what it was before I started insulin.

2 hours ago, Plashdaddy said:

Thank you iamsuperdan & Force for the kind offer and awesome links, and thanks everyone else for your interest.

So are these the earlier issues then? I can post some better pics on Saturday when I pick them up if y’all like.

They are not the first issue as they had torsion bar suspension mentioned above, I don't exactly know when the suspension was changed and all the re-issues including the recent ones are pretty much the same as these.

20 hours ago, Force said:

They are not the first issue as they had torsion bar suspension mentioned above, I don't exactly know when the suspension was changed and all the re-issues including the recent ones are pretty much the same as these.

Ah okay, thanks again.

Well I picked the Rigs up today, and while the personal nostalgia overflowed, the reality of the task at hand has tempered the excitement. He insisted it’s model glue, but hooley dooley, it’s a mess. 

Wish me luck Brothers & Sisters.

185E5923-F9D7-4501-A074-370A4DC61A83.jpeg

9BCC3D67-6C12-4E37-9E05-6AFF83FB41CF.jpeg

CCFF98B7-6854-44CE-B956-7BF70D7AA70B.jpeg

5D957D16-4C6D-48C8-8129-17727C2DE8D9.jpeg

77335556-010E-4706-A30F-42AB5C23A0BE.jpeg

B7CE4E04-D005-42A6-A084-190E1F9D1304.jpeg

474FB979-0739-414E-8B71-637833585078.jpeg

0B09F422-590F-4428-BF0B-9A869C45F10A.jpeg

88B89061-F3D4-4777-A919-63FAD337A103.jpeg

E19036C4-D0FE-4038-B4E7-4763E6D87C9C.jpeg

A3646DF0-1406-485F-8395-265B33C543F0.jpeg

7 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

Soak them in the purple pond for awhile and then see what you have. 

Does anyone know where I can get Purple Power in Australia? I tried brake fluid on a much smaller project once, but that stuff looks like it does a better job.

3 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Well those are a big gross mess! But easily salvageable! Looking forward to seeing the progress!

Yes, yes they are lol, my uncle loves trucks  and my Grandad ‘assembled’ these for him as he is not physically able to do it himself. Hope to gift one of them back to him if I can improve it any. Will post updates in the appropriate thread when I get started.

On 4/6/2019 at 2:57 PM, Plashdaddy said:

Does anyone know where I can get Purple Power in Australia? I tried brake fluid on a much smaller project once, but that stuff looks like it does a better job.

Look for Castrol Super Clean, same stuff.