Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hose clamp material

Detailing hose clamps was a major concern for me because I don't have the painting skills to do it to my satisfaction.  Cleaning my kitchen sink I stumbled upon a wrinkled up strand of wife's stainless steel scouring pad.  Pulled that thing between my finger and the back edge of a knife to straighten it out and it curled right up into a loop.  It is only .014" wide so looks like a shy 3/8" wide 1:1.  The screw part I can leave as a 3D printed detail that I can easily hit with the Molotow pen after painting the hoses and it black.

Going to buy pads from different makers to see if widths are different.

That would work great for this style clamp:

01555-00951OEMHoseClamp-WM.jpgThe Detail Master hose clamps are pretty good too.

http://www.detailmaster.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Return_Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=detailmaster&Category_Code=DM-PhotoEtchedParts&Product_Code=DM-2480

Curve around a rod the same diameter as your hose to shape it, cut to fit, glue a strip of styrene tube on to represent the screw, then hit the screw with Molotow or paint of your choice.

Got two of my ordered scour pads from different makers and they are different widths.  One is 0.016", .400" at 1:1.  The other is 0.018" which would be .450" at 1:1.

New stuff is a heck of a lot nicer than my wife's old used one.  Coils are around .125" diameter as is, but I easily took a coiled length down to .080" by twisting it tighter on a toothpick. Managed to get coil diameter down to .040 on a straight pin.   Stuff is 0.0015" thick which would be .037" thick at 1:1.

I'm happy.