Model Cars Magazine Forum

Restoring windshields

Attempting to resurrect a Jo-han glue bomb that i acquired a number of years ago. I have received my Modelhaus replacement parts as well as sourced other needed parts from various donor kits. I have planed on sourcing the glass from a donor kit however, I would like to resurrect the glass from original kit because it a better fit.

Do you good folks know of any methods to clean faint to light glue smears/fingerprints form glass.  I was wondering is it possible to polish it out with something like "Bar Keepers Friend" or some other type of compound?

Any advise or tips appropriated...thanks in advance..... :-)

Edited by 69NovaYenko

Depending how deep the scratches are, I've used polishing cloths (3600-12,000 grit) on clear plastic followed up with Meguiar's Car Cleaner wax and a chamois cloth. Takes a while, but it can be done. Some have put the finishing touches on getting the windshield to hide scratches by dipping it in Future Floor Wax (clear acrylic). I can say this works as I got a scratch on the rear window of a model I was building in its lower corner.

I brushed some Future on it and the scratch disappeared.

Not sure about the Bar Keeper's Friend-----you have to be careful that there aren't solvents in that which can make things worse.

Hope this helps!

22 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

I have not tried polishing out "glass' yet but I would suggest great care in handling the pieces while polishing.  They are a bit more brittle than the styrene bodies and can snap more quickly.

Yes, it wouldn't hurt to have something backing the glass while you're polishing it up. I used a balsa wood block shape on the inside of the glass to keep it from flexing while working with it.

Edited by MrObsessive

I've restored some clear styrene lids for vintage Gillette barn door razors with a 3" cotton buffing wheel in a low rpm electric drill motor and white polishing rouge. The white rouge is the softest, least aggressive rouge for finish polishing of metals. I've gotten some truly amazing results. Didn't have to Future them, wax them, or anything else besides washing them with soap and water when done. Let the buffer do it's job without pressing on the workpiece.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-6-Pc-3-Full-Sewn-Polishing-Buffing-Wheels-with-1-4-Arbor-1-Metal-Mandrel/333135306411

Edited by Daddy Mack

• 1 year later...