Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

On 3/31/2019 at 4:54 PM, RichCostello said:

Find the person in charge of the model department, and ask them if they have it. I asked the girl, who was stocking shelves if they had gotten anything new, and she moved an older model, and pulled the Imperial out from behind it. She said that if a new kit is replacing an old one, they put the new one behind the one that it's replacing. She also said that they only get one at first, and then order more when it sells. I told her I'd take it, and she said she'd order some more, and shortly after that the shelf was full, and has been ever since.

Sounds like nobody is minding the store!  Absurd to put a different SKU behind an older product like it's milk with a later expiration date.

The HL in my neighborhood has this thing about making shelves and racks look full.  If you look you'll see a lot of the kits are only one deep.

The worst is the paint racks.  Instead of having everything on the rack in stock, they choose to fill in an out of stock slot by moving other paint into it so the rack looks full.  Yea, it's full, but you have three slots of gloss black Testors spray and none of the other two SKUs.   

It's amazing that a business so big has no real expertise in how to serve this market!

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Sounds like nobody is minding the store!  Absurd to put a different SKU behind an older product like it's milk with a later expiration date.

The HL in my neighborhood has this thing about making shelves and racks look full.  If you look you'll see a lot of the kits are only one deep.

The worst is the paint racks.  Instead of having everything on the rack in stock, they choose to fill in an out of stock slot by moving other paint into it so the rack looks full.  Yea, it's full, but you have three slots of gloss black Testors spray and none of the other two SKUs.   

It's amazing that a business so big has no real expertise in how to serve this market!

I thought it was a little strange too, but since she told me this, I've started looking behind the older models. Just today I found the 65 Riviera tucked behind a Foose El Dorado.

I don't expect an employee of a big box store to have the knowledge or passion for something like model car kits nor do I expect them to seek out employees who do. I do expect a hobby shop to have knowledgeable people though, as that is their specialty. Having worked in retail, the concept of "facing the shelves" entails filling empty slots to give the impression of not being out of stock. Many times it is because management is coming to visit and they can't tell a '69 Camaro from a '69 Mustang, but they do see an open slot on the shelf.

If I have to look around a bit at Hobby Lobby to find what I want, then that is fine with me, it's a huge store and they have lots to tend to, like getting the Christmas stuff out by the fourth of July.

If it bothers you that much, then stop and take a minute to fix it, I am sure the workers would appreciate the help.

13 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

The worst is the paint racks.  Instead of having everything on the rack in stock, they choose to fill in an out of stock slot by moving other paint into it so the rack looks full.

Even worse worst - one Hobby Lobby near me seems to do that by mixing different kinds of paint, enamel and acrylic.  I found that out the hard way when I grabbed a bottle of paint from the rack that said TESTORS ENAMEL in big letters on top.  Got home and it was acrylic.  The next time I went in that store, I looked and found several other bottles in the wrong rack.  Now I look at the label very closely before buying.

I bought a copy of the '59 Chrysler a few weeks ago, with that shallow interior it makes it hard to do the convertible. With that said, On the E Bay for a '57 Chrysler 300 c, and that arrived last week. Now the '59 has a better interior/Chassis, and not wasting anything the '57 300 has the '59's Chassis/interior.

DSC03745.JPG

DSC03746.JPG

Edited by ranma

On 4/7/2019 at 10:19 AM, Mike999 said:

Even worse worst - one Hobby Lobby near me seems to do that by mixing different kinds of paint, enamel and acrylic.  I found that out the hard way when I grabbed a bottle of paint from the rack that said TESTORS ENAMEL in big letters on top.  Got home and it was acrylic.  The next time I went in that store, I looked and found several other bottles in the wrong rack.  Now I look at the label very closely before buying.

I just did the same thing last week.  I bought what I thought was the lacquer version of Sublime spray, because that is what the sign on the rack said, only to get home and find someone had put the enamel version in that slot.  Went back today and was able to swap them without incident.  However, I did have to move ANOTHER enamel version from the lacquer slot to find the actual lacquer can.