Model Cars Magazine Forum

Krylon paint trick, is it for real??

Interesting. I might have to try that on a spoon sometime...I have been finding lately that Krylon dries with an orange-peel-like finish regardless of how glossy the initial coat is. It's like it gets rougher as it gasses out. Rustoleum doesn't seem to have the same problem. I'd love to be able to use Krylon without having to wet-sand the heck out of it!

15 minutes ago, thatz4u said:

Scott, can you give just wee bite more info on this subject please?

i usually do a few light coats with about 10 minutes between then one heavier coat. i go over the car with a hairdryer and get the paint hot but not enough to warp or damage the model. I never polish them but i don't show them either. i just painted this 54 im sure its not up to everyone's standards but its good enough for me.

20190331_144231.jpg

20190331_145219.jpg

11 minutes ago, Agent G said:

I always heated the can in a pot of hot water.  Not so hot as to blow the lid, but when you just see a bit of steam, you're good. 

G

I do the same thing, I fill a bucket with hot water but not so hot that I can't comfortably leave my hand in the water.

I've put Krylon out in direct sun when the temperature was over 100 and it turned out really good, so I can see how it would work with a hair dryer. I do wonder if this trick might dry Rustoleum quicker as it seems to take forever to dry?

I like to ues Krylon because of the spray nozzle. I think it puts out a nicer spray pattern.  Years ago I made a paint dryer using an old steel bread box. I put a ceramic light socket and a 40 watt bulb in it for the heat source. When I'm ready to paint something, I put the body/parts in it along with the can of paint and let them warm up for about 15-20 minutes.  The 40 watt bulb doesn't get too hot, although one time I had the bottom of a can of Testors bulge out. But I never had a body warp. The paint flows a lot better and puts out a finer mist this way. Plus the parts are at about the same temperature as the paint and speeds up the drying. Plus there's no air moving to kick up any dust. My paint jobs aren't as professional as a lot of you guys, but works just fine for me.

Jeff

On 3/31/2019 at 1:40 PM, Scott8950 said:

i always do this. it seems to work fine for me. i use a hairdryer with just a few passes over the car.

I don't know exactly who the OP is referring to but I cover this on my channel on numerous builds. I used to heat it up when spraying other things and it carried over to models.

As Scott says, it works absolutely fine.

I just spray, let dry for a while and then warm the body with a heat gun (the model aircraft covering shrinking type personally, not the paint stripping 1000 degree type). Don't hold it on the body and  melt it. Warm it.  Pass the gun back and forth to warm the paint and it gets a smoother surface and a higher gloss to it. It's the nature of the paint to respond well to lower heat as it dries. 

Same reason I soak the can in a glass of hot tap water before shooting. The paint flows out smoother and richer, the color mixes easier inside the can when you shake it and it has more pressure after being warmed up.

It works perfectly fine, but then again there are also people that tell me I "can't" use Rustoleum and "can't" use Krylon and "can't" combine them on the same model etc, and yet, here we are, doing it all the time and not having issues on hundreds of builds.

Edited by hpiguy

4 hours ago, Goose1957 said:

Plus there's no air moving to kick up any dust. My paint jobs aren't as professional as a lot of you guys, but works just fine for me.

Jeff

i always turn the hairdryer on high away from car for a minute to blow lint or dust out. i rarely have a problem with that. 

Edited by Scott8950

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2019 at 2:43 PM, Agent G said:

I always heated the can in a pot of hot water.  Not so hot as to blow the lid, but when you just see a bit of steam, you're good. 

G

I have tried this but found that laying the can on a heating pad & then folding the pad over on the can works better. The can remains dry & the temperature is easier to regulate.

On 4/19/2019 at 11:34 PM, RichCostello said:

Has anyone tried Krylon Shimmer on a model? How did it work?

I have used shimmer and it works just fine. Do not wet sand it though. Removes color from the flake.

This KW is purple shimmer. 

IMG_20190315_123315.jpg.b215ea070b84d50e3f0e1f4e936e2031.jpg