Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 70 Charger in Go Mango

RDean58

Finished this one up yesterday! Not a bad kit at all and easy to convert to a street machine. Painted Testors' Go Mango with Tamiya TS-65 Pearl clear. Interior seats were taken from a Revell 68 Charger along with the exhaust pipes which were cut down to fit onto the kit supplied headers. I had an extra 68 so I used the tail light panel from it to make a hybrid 68/70 Charger. Thanks for looking and all comments welcomed.

6870_GM_Done_01.jpg

6870_GM_Done_02.jpg

6870_GM_Done_03.jpg

6870_GM_Done_04.jpg

6870_GM_Done_05.jpg

6870_GM_Done_06.jpg

6870_GM_Done_07.jpg

6870_GM_Done_08.jpg

6870_GM_11.jpg

1 hour ago, marv13 said:

awesome build, what are the rear tires and from which kit? Im using m/t tires on my 70 F&F charger the movie car had ET streets 

The rear tires are from one of the many mid 90s AMT Corvette kits. You get 4 of them in each kit!

36 minutes ago, Tommy124 said:

Looking great! Is that the engine from the Fast & Furious kit and the tail lights from a '68?

Yes, the basic kit is the 70 Fast & Furious kit with seats and rear panel from a 68 Charger kit. I wanted to use the 68 door panels as well but they were too long to work with the firewall. I would have needed to shorten them and it just wasn't worth the effort, so I used the 70 door panels. The exhaust is from the 68 Charger as well, with the pipes cut to fit the headers.

So, think of this as a wrecked 68 that someone put together with parts from a 70!

Also, the Revell Fast & Furious Charger is not even a realistic replica of the movie car, following taken from Edmonds!

In the hero car Edmunds.com drove, the engine under that empty case isn't even a Chrysler product. That's right, this Charger is actually powered by a Chevrolet small-block V8 crate engine. Rated at 400 horsepower when purchased from Year One, this GM-built 5.7-liter OHV engine is no slouch. But it's no 900-hp frame-twisting Hemi either.

Behind the engine there's a GM Turbohydramatic 400 three-speed automatic transmission fitted with manual valve bodies and controlled by a Winters ratchet shifter. It runs with a 2,600 rpm stall torque converter. Accelerate hard and shift into 2nd and it feels like the back of your neck has been fungo batted into right center field.

Even Faker
Hollywood has been diligently destroying 1968-'70 Chargers for 43 years now, and that means parts are hard to find. So the front clip of this Charger — that is, every body panel forward of the firewall — is in fact a five-piece fiberglass reproduction splash-molded in McCarthy's Sun Valley, California, shop. The same goes for the rear sail panel that includes taillights closer in shape to those of a '69 Charger's than a 1970's.

"This way we don't have to worry if the car is a '68, '69 or '70," explains McCarthy. "By the time we've mounted our body parts they all look alike anyhow."

As if the GM engine weren't bad enough for Mopar purists, this Charger has also been denuded of its torsion-bar front suspension. In its place is a Reilly MotorSports coil spring system that also allows the use of rack-and-pinion steering. The brakes are Baer Racing vented discs up front and in back, the primary calipers are supplements, with a second set controlled by a rally bar and separated master cylinder so the rear tires can be locked up for dramatic slides.

The rear end is a Ford 9-inch piece mounted on leaf springs. The tires are 255/45R20 front and 305/45R20 rear Generals on Coy's Torq-Thrust-style 20-inch wheels.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/driving-the-1970-dodge-charger-from-fast-five.html