Model Cars Magazine Forum

Serious 3D printing inquiry...

20 minutes ago, aurfalien said:

I thought to post these outstanding examples of 3D printing.  To me they look cast.  Unsure what sort of printer ScaleProduction uses but whatever it is, there seems to be no texture.

Yesss, that GT40 engine kit is looking superb... https://www.scaleproduction.de/product_info.php?language=de&info=p2336_1969-f-gt40-motor-bausatz.html

On 4/6/2019 at 12:36 PM, Dann Tier said:

I can clearly see the lines/ layers all over the 3D parts....especially those valve covers. It might be "there" for you, but not even close for me!....

On 4/9/2019 at 5:45 PM, Dann Tier said:

You made that look pretty decent, bud, but I can still see the "layers", which would drive me mental....

This is recommended by spacecraft modelers who use intricate 3D printed detail parts to remove the striations:

https://www.smooth-on.com/product-line/xtc-3d/

Edited by SfanGoch

7 hours ago, aurfalien said:

I thought to post these outstanding examples of 3D printing.  To me they look cast.  Unsure what sort of printer ScaleProduction uses but whatever it is, there seems to be no texture.

101_9904_0.JPG

101_9905.JPG

101_9906_0.JPG

Those look pretty darn decent from the photo...

The technology is here; it's just a matter of the equipment used. Reedoak Resin, for example,  laser scans actual equipment and live models wearing uniforms and equipment in order to produce printing files. The same could be done with automotive components; that is, if the 3D producer is willing and financially able to invest in the appropriate equipment.

Some more 3D printed resin items from Reedoak:

1/24 scale

image.png.64043fe0bd333aaf8fba62b85b5c752f.png

1/35 scale:

image.png.2bf32144a3e3f7aefeb64efcd42222fc.png

1/144 scale:

image.png.49d66d8e44284c9935787a6a5ba2c90d.png

The printing lines/striations on the Shapeway-produced 3D parts can also be taken care of using the following method from the Reedoak website. Using this method eliminates the possibility of removing fine detail by using abrasives.

1 hour ago, SfanGoch said:

The technology is here; it's just a matter of the equipment used. Reedoak Resin, for example,  laser scans actual equipment and live models wearing uniforms and equipment in order to produce printing files. The same could be done with automotive components; that is, if the 3D producer is willing and financially able to invest in the appropriate equipment.

Some more 3D printed resin items from Reedoak:

1/24 scale

image.png.64043fe0bd333aaf8fba62b85b5c752f.png

1/35 scale:

image.png.2bf32144a3e3f7aefeb64efcd42222fc.png

1/144 scale:

image.png.49d66d8e44284c9935787a6a5ba2c90d.png

The printing lines/striations on the Shapeway-produced 3D parts can also be taken care of using the following method from the Reedoak website. Using this method eliminates the possibility of removing fine detail by using abrasives.

Wow, marvelous, thanks Joe.