Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Mercury Comet Cyclone

mrmike

Another new project!  This time it is the '65 Comet Cyclone with a resin dual scoop hood.  I got the hood from a fellow Club member who was looking to get rid of it and he heard that I had just gotten the Cyclone kit.  Thank you Mike Freitas!  My paint will be the Scalefinishes Ford Highland Green Metallic paint over a dark grey primer with a Semi-Gloss Black interior and Cragar SS mags (my favorite).  Not sure of what tire I'll use since pictures of the Cyclone that I have seen shows the car sitting high.  I'll adjust the suspension accordingly so it sits a lot lower.  I might swap the engine for a big block FE motor instead of the small 289 CI engine.  We shall see...

More to come...

Cyclone01.JPG

Cyclone02.JPG

Cyclone03.JPG

Thanks LouO!

I have built up the basic 289 CI engine to get it ready for a coat of gloss black or semi-gloss black paint.  I really don't want gloss or semi-gloss, but in between the two colors.  I used the AMT pad printed Goodyear F60-15 white lettered tires with the kit Cragar SS mags.  The AMT tires are slightly smaller in diameter compared to the kit tires, but both fit well together.  I cleaned up the body of mold lines (hardly found any) and will wash the body in prep for dark grey primer and then the Scalefinishes Highland Green Metallic paint.  As I read the instructions, I am noticing many callout errors.  Wrong names pointing to different parts.  All part numbers seem correct for the part itself.  

More to come...

Cyclone04.JPG

Cyclone05.JPG

Cyclone06.JPG

The wheel and tire combination look perfect for the Comet. I also have always liked the duel inlet hood on the Comet. I notice something about the windshield header that doesn't look right to me. The kit's body looks as if there is a brow over the top of the windshield. The box art looks more correct to what I remember of these cars. What is your feeling about that ? 

6 hours ago, espo said:

The wheel and tire combination look perfect for the Comet. I also have always liked the duel inlet hood on the Comet. I notice something about the windshield header that doesn't look right to me. The kit's body looks as if there is a brow over the top of the windshield. The box art looks more correct to what I remember of these cars. What is your feeling about that ? 

Well David, you are correct that there seems to be a "brow" on the roof over the windshield.  The windshield fits to the body from the outside and there is a ridge on it at the top.  This must fit against the "brow" allowing it to "disappear".  The box art below shows the "brow" as disappearing.

6 hours ago, afx said:

Is your hood a resin copy of the A/FX hood?

Image result for moebius afx cometImage result for moebius afx comet

I believe it is.  I don't know and the fellow who gave me the hood doesn't know who made it, but the hood does fit perfectly.  

Well that explains the roof question. I see that the way the windshield is installed could corrects what I thought was a problem. Thank you for the update since this kit is one of the ones I'm thinking of building soon. 

Quite the brawler, Chris!

I found a Parts By Parks distributor for the 289 CI engine.  My holes are drilled and all I have to do is finish wiring the engine and maybe I'll plumb it, too.  A light coating of white primer to check my work and then a coating of dark grey primer and then paint.

More to come...

Cyclone07.JPG

Cyclone08.JPG

Cyclone09.JPG

Looks like a great project. I can’t wait to see the color on it.

When you get to the chassis, make sure the front spindles are PERFECTLY centered in the backing plate, by making sure the wheel fits it before the glue dries. There is just enough room for the rear of the wheel to fit in the recessed area, and if it’s off a hair, you won’t get the wheel on.  

I have been reminded as to why I don't like resin hoods.  This resin hood has gone soft on me and flattened out.  If there is a way to stiffen it and get it back into shape again, I'll give it a try.  Otherwise, I'm going to use the stock kit hood with a scoop.  I really liked that hood since it had a sort of "factory" look to it.  My alternative is to use the stock kit hood with a scoop or get the Arnie Beswick Drag kit just for the hood, but that seems to be a waste of money.

More to come...

Cyclone13.JPG

Cyclone14.JPG

Cyclone15.JPG

The problem with that is that the hood has compound curves, front to rear and side to side.  The hood has flatten and I am exploring other avenues for a hood.  I made a hood scoop from a seat back that looks like a FOMOCO style hood several years ago and I may go with that on the stock hood.  The Comet Cyclone needs something more than just a flat hood.

I finished the interior.  What I found odd was that the front bucket seats did not fit into the slots on the chassis per the instructions.  The seats fitted outside the notches.  I also corrected the leaning console.  A view of the chassis.

More to come...

Cyclone16.JPG

Cyclone17.JPG

Cyclone18.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I fired up  the paintbooth and sprayed the Cyclone this morning with Ford Highland Green Metallic from Scalefinishes.  I got another dual scoop hood from fellow Club member Eric.  Thank you Eric!

More to come...

Cyclone19.JPG

Cyclone20.JPG

Cyclone21.JPG

Thanks Tom!  Yes, the shifter ball is on the large size.  I was tempted to try and draw a 4-spped shift pattern on the ball, but opted not to since I did seem to be a little unsteady that day.  If I had an extra 4-speed decal, I would have used that.

I fired up the paintbooth again and clearcoated the Cyclone with Tamiya TS-13 Gloss Clear until I ran out of clear.  Off to the LHS for more clear and a few other items.

More to come...

Cyclone23.JPG

Cyclone22.JPG

Cyclone24.JPG