Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anybody else also a fan of Juha Airio?

Oldcarfan27

Frankly, I don't believe he exists!  It is all a conspiracy to hide a band of renegade mad Scandinavian scientist who have perfected a shrinking ray and use these cars as a way to distract us from their real intention to take over the world by shrinking it one piece at a time.  Boo ahh haaaa!:blink:

Edited by Pete J.

19 minutes ago, Pete J. said:

Frankly, I don't believe he exists!  It is all a conspiracy to hide a band of renegade mad Scandinavian scientist who have perfected a shrinking ray and use these cars as a way to distract us from there real intention to take over the world by shrinking it one piece at a time.  Boo ahh haaaa!:blink:

:lol::lol::lol:

12 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Well, if they are on this forum, please stand up and take a bow. Because we have some really talented builders here.

I enjoy them all!

The Mod Top Plymouth is from my buddy Michael Kröger, the '70 Coronet 440 is mine. The Charger is from another friend here in Germany, i don't know if he is here in the forum. Some of your pictures are made on the "on the road " Show in Jabbeke/Belgium. The biggest zivil modelshow in europe.

I am very happy that someone thinks my model is built by Juha. A huge praise ????

13 hours ago, Russell C said:

Rik Hoving has a Fotki site collection of Juha's models  https://public.fotki.com/Rikster/model_cars/model_cars_from_others/models_by_juha_airio-1/

Saw several of his at one of the prior GSL contests, too. Hugely jealous of his skills, they must be seen in person to truly appreciate 'em.

Great link to his builds, thanks for sharing. 

I used to enjoy reading his articles in magazines. It shows what is possible... he would say something like "No kit of this car has ever been made,  but there was a kit of a car that is somewhat similar.. so all you need to do is cut it up and add the roof from a different kit"   Then he proceeds to make it look easy and end up with what sounded like an impossible task. I will probably never get anywhere close to that skill level, but knowing what can be done by a master modeler is an inspiration to try harder and really do my best to make the best model possible.

I am a huge fan! I was lucky enough to buy one of huis kits through Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland many years ago. It is the kit in the second picture of the original post. I have started it, but it is soooooooo nice that it is intimidating...  l am not yet sure I have the skills to do it justice.

I have steen the orange one in Rik’s fotki in real life a couple of times. It’s stunning!!! ❤️

My hands are aking to get going on this one again, just because of this post. Maybe I’ll schare some pics in the next few days.

5 hours ago, Mirko said:

The Mod Top Plymouth is from my buddy Michael Kröger, the '70 Coronet 440 is mine. The Charger is from another friend here in Germany, i don't know if he is here in the forum. Some of your pictures are made on the "on the road " Show in Jabbeke/Belgium. The biggest zivil modelshow in europe.

I am very happy that someone thinks my model is built by Juha. A huge praise ????

I have seen that white Coronet before and I have to say that it's gorgeous! The same for Michael Kroger's cars!  

I have been a fan of Mr. Airio's work for a LONG time! I remember he did a '65 Dodge Dart, a '70 Dodge Dart Swinger 340, and several others that we haven't seen in this thread that I really liked. I of course like them all, but love the Mopars that he does! I wish I had 1/4 of his talent.

The burgundy Gran Tornio shown in the first group of pics was photographed perfectly- I had to look at it a few times to convince myself that it was a model!!!  

5 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

I have been a fan of Mr. Airio's work for a LONG time! I remember he did a '65 Dodge Dart, a '70 Dodge Dart Swinger 340, and several others that we haven't seen in this thread that I really liked. I of course like them all, but love the Mopars that he does! I wish I had 1/4 of his talent.

The burgundy Gran Tornio shown in the first group of pics was photographed perfectly- I had to look at it a few times to convince myself that it was a model!!!  

I remember those too. They were also in the old car model magazine articles, but I couldn't find any pictures online. That's why I asked if anybody else had any photos to post - I'd love to see them again. 

9 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I remember those too. They were also in the old car model magazine articles, but I couldn't find any pictures online. That's why I asked if anybody else had any photos to post - I'd love to see them again. 

Scale Auto Enthusiast Magazine had a feature on him some years ago, that's where I remember seeing some of his builds. In that same article, I also remember he used spare parts (leftovers from other replica stock conversions) to build a nice dark blue early '60's Chrysler custom.

I first heard of Juha from his article about the Grand Am in SAE and was totally blown away by the craftsmanship. Is still have that copy of SAE for inspiration. 

In all his models he manages to capture a quality of the 1:1 car that is difficult to put in words. It's not just the level of detail, but the cars somehow have the 'feel' of weight about them. I think he always gets the glass right - correct thickness and an appropriate level of flush fit that takes away the 'toy like' look of most out-of-the-box models.

I missed out on a chance to meet him in London a few years ago due to a delayed flight.  What a shame.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, beeRS said:

It's not just the level of detail, but the cars somehow have the 'feel' of weight about them. I think he always gets the glass right - correct thickness and an appropriate level of flush fit that takes away the 'toy like' look of most out-of-the-box models.

Juha was where I got the inspiration to use clear stencil sheet for glass in my models instead of the kit glass. That's one of the first things I noticed when I started seeing his models..............how nice and distortion free his glass was. And yes, he likes to mount it so that it gets rid of that 'tunneled/buried' look that drives me crazy with many kits. ;)

On 4/4/2019 at 1:14 AM, Pete J. said:

Frankly, I don't believe he exists! Boo ahh haaaa!:blink:

No he's for real.  I've met him a number of times when he's visited US shows.

He is the nicest and most humble man. It's like he cannot understand why we are so impressed!