Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anybody else also a fan of Juha Airio?

Oldcarfan27

I also still have that issue of Car Modeler.  Its one of the first I ever bought as a kid, and I have looked at that Pontiac so many times, I can't count.  He is an amazing scratch builder.    I also have the SAE with the 72 Roadrunner he made.   His work is inspiring, thats for sure.

YES, YES and more YES Juha, great! Super SAAb and Vespa combo! We had (about twenty of us) tuned Vespa's and Lambretta's, short chopped exhausts(no baffles) and fuel injection............... in the 60's that is!

Edited by PatW

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

On 2/2/2023 at 2:48 AM, Juha Airio said:

Rumors about my death are greatly exaggerated.

I am still building.

Juha, glad to hear you're alive and kickin'! You have been quite an inspiration to me. I have used your window tinting technique in the past using the Humbrol colors you suggested in the article that I read. This alone adds so much realism to a build! Would you be so kind as to suggest current paint colors/brands to simulate the green tint for windows as Humbrol has discontinued those colors? Thanks! And please post some WIP and/or finished projects on this website!

Edited by #1 model citizen

Thanks for the positive comments regarding my work. They are appreciated.

As for the window tinting technique, I don’t have any colors/brands to suggest to replace the (discontinued) Humbrol colors. I still have enough of their old formula metallic green, metallic blue and clear enamels left to last about a lifetime, as very little is needed for the tinting process. Thus, there has not been any real reason for me to try to find a replacement. What is vital is that the paint used does not react with clear plastic and it must withstand handling without the paint rubbing off or cracking while bending the ”glass”. Hot lacquers are ruled out, possibly waterbased acrylics as well. I would try blue and green enamel candies mixed with clear enamel. It is possible that Alclad enamel candies, mixed with clear enamel (the old style yellowish type) could work. It is vital to thin the mixture with a compatible thinner so that the tinting has enough time to level properly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Juha Airio said:

As for the window tinting technique, I don’t have any colors/brands to suggest to replace the (discontinued) Humbrol colors. I still have enough of their old formula metallic green, metallic blue and clear enamels left to last about a lifetime, as very little is needed for the tinting process. Thus, there has not been any real reason for me to try to find a replacement. What is vital is that the paint used does not react with clear plastic and it must withstand handling without the paint rubbing off or cracking while bending the ”glass”. Hot lacquers are ruled out, possibly waterbased acrylics as well. I would try blue and green enamel candies mixed with clear enamel. It is possible that Alclad enamel candies, mixed with clear enamel (the old style yellowish type) could work. It is vital to thin the mixture with a compatible thinner so that the tinting has enough time to level properly.

Tamiya acrylics. I've been using them to tint windows for decades.

128 2856

IMG 2737

IMG 1361

Edited by Can-Con

11 hours ago, Juha Airio said:

38 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Tamiya acrylics. I've been using them to tint windows for decades.

Thank you both for your responses. Steve, exactly what color(s) do you use? your windows look great!

1 hour ago, #1 model citizen said:

Thank you both for your responses. Steve, exactly what color(s) do you use? your windows look great!

Blue and green mixed with clear, just as Juha stated. 

BUT, I just do mist coats first, [airbrush] then a heaver coat followed by a couple coats of strait clear.

After it's all completely dry, I wet sand and polish it out just the same as any other clearcoated paintjob. After all, that's exactly what it is.

Oh, and the Rabbit glass was done in the same manner but using Tamiya smoke instead of the blue/green.

Edited by Can-Con