Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
Sign in to follow this  
StevenGuthmiller

1960 Ford Pickup Chassis Swap?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Does anyone know if there is a chassis that I could use for a swap on an AMT 1960 Ford pickup?

I'm not at all familiar with what is all out there, or which truck chassis would be an acceptable configuration for a 1960 Ford.

I'm leaning towards keeping it stock.

 

 

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Does anyone know if there is a chassis that I could use for a swap on an AMT 1960 Ford pickup?

I'm not at all familiar with what is all out there, or which truck chassis would be an acceptable configuration for a 1960 Ford.

I'm leaning towards keeping it stock.

 

 

Steve

You may have to scratch build this one, I restored one of these kits awhile back, looked like the old ladder style frame...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, thatz4u said:

You may have to scratch build this one, I restored one of these kits awhile back, looked like the old ladder style frame...

Yeah, that was my fear.

There aren't many modern Ford truck kits from around this era.

I was thinking possibly a '56 Ford chassis or something, but that would be a short wheel base and would need stretching.

Possibly the Moebius '66 Ford when it hits the shelves, but even there, I'm not certain if it was the same configuration as 1960.

I'm guessing not.

 

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if my old memory services me right they had a stright front axle that year & changed to the twin I beam in 66 ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Yeah, that was my fear.

There aren't many modern Ford truck kits from around this era.

I was thinking possibly a '56 Ford chassis or something, but that would be a short wheel base and would need stretching.

Possibly the Moebius '66 Ford when it hits the shelves, but even there, I'm not certain if it was the same configuration as 1960.

 

The '65-66 chassis and suspension is the same as the '67-72....different from the '61-64 and the  '57-60...not sure if the '57-60 is similar to the '56 or not. 

Edited by Rob Hall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Al beat me to it Steve. 

If you want to stay stock use the 56 from Revell just stretch it to the length you need.  It may no be 100% but close enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Al beat me to it Steve. 

If you want to stay stock use the 56 from Revell just stretch it to the length you need.  It may no be 100% but close enough. 

I appreciate the info, but if it's not going to be correct anyway, I might just stick with the original chassis, or maybe try to modify it a little.

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what I have.

A really excellent built kit that stripped nicely.

It is heavily stained from the red paint, but the Super Clean did it's overnight work and it's squeaky clean now.

I have all of the stock parts including tail light lenses, a good hood badge and hood spears, although one of them will require a tip to be repaired.

The chrome finish on the bumpers is in fair condition, but I'm thinking that I will likely paint them white anyway.

 

The other inquiry that I have is a suitable stock engine swap.

Would the stock engine from the newer AMT 1960 Ford Starliner kit be correct, or is there something else better?

Possibly the '58 Edsel?

Or better yet, is there a good Ford 6 banger around anywhere?

 

I'm really thinking that this will be my next project after I finish my '65 Fury.

 

 

Steve

 

2v29kyVvGxwUbWP.jpg

2v29kyV9SxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EYKnEzxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EYKnHoxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EYKna2xwUbWP.jpg

2v2EYKnQrxwUbWP.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that the 292 2-barrel was the top option in 1960 for the pickups. I am at work, so your pictures are blocked. Does it have V8 emblems or just the gear/lightning bolt?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

 which truck chassis would be an acceptable configuration for a 1960 Ford.

I'm leaning towards keeping it stock.

 

 

 

The AMT '53 or Revell '56 pickups would have the same suspension system as the '60, but, yes, would need to be lengthen. The Y block can be sourced from the '56 Ford pickup. The period straight  223 six, used between '54-'64, was never offered by big  plastic.

Edited by leafsprings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rodent said:

I think that the 292 2-barrel was the top option in 1960 for the pickups. I am at work, so your pictures are blocked. Does it have V8 emblems or just the gear/lightning bolt?

Just the gear and lightening bolt.

Would the engine from the Revell '57 Fords be right?

 

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The '57 Ford car engine would be fine,  the 312 is a slightly larger cube version than the 292, pretty much indentical in appearance to the 292, however I believe the 312 has better exhaust manifolds and a 4 BBL carb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, leafsprings said:

The '57 Ford car engine would be fine,  the 312 is a slightly larger cube version than the 292, pretty much indentical in appearance to the 292, however I believe the 312 has better exhaust manifolds and a 4 BBL carb.

Steve could build it "day two" with the passenger car manifolds and dual exhaust :P

Otherwise, you have to scratchbuild something like this:

Image result for ford 292

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, leafsprings said:

The AMT '53 or Revell '56 pickups would have the same suspension system as the '60, but, yes, would need to be lengthen. The Y block can be sourced from the '56 Ford pickup. The period straight  223 six, used between '54-'64, was never offered by big  plastic.

I agree, sounds like the best option...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I appreciate the info, but if it's not going to be correct anyway, I might just stick with the original chassis, or maybe try to modify it a little.

 

Steve

Maybe you could just do as you said here and just ad better front and rear suspension. That is a nice model you have there to start with.  I am sure it will turn out very nice when it is done, as all of yours are.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Another more thing to consider,  the Revell '56 has the   interior floorboard  molded to the frame, however the AMT '53 floorboard  is separate. The '60 cab may sit on the '56 floorboard with some modification.

Edited by leafsprings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

for a stock chassis you could wait for the Moebius 1966 ford pickup release. That would get you the closest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2019 at 3:52 PM, my80malibu said:

for a stock chassis you could wait for the Moebius 1966 ford pickup release. That would get you the closest.

Unfortunately, the '66 is the wrong suspension configuration.

It is a twin I beam.

The '60 is a straight axle.

But, as you say, the chassis might be close, minus the front suspension.

 

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Here's the general front suspension layout for the single I-beam/leaf spring setup that Ford used on the light trucks until '64 (from the Carpenter '57-'66 catalog)

 

P1010072.JPG

...and here's the general twin I-beam setup used from '65 - '79

 

70ibmfrdtrk6579.jpg

...plus a 57-60 frame diagram 

58frdtrkfrm.jpg

The '65/'66 moeb frames are going to be the same ones used in their '69 - '72 F-series.

Edited by mk11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it is worth, Don Holthaus recommended using the AMT 1953 Ford F100 for their '57/'58/'60 cab conversions if you didn't buy a complete kit.  For a short box pickup, if works perfectly.

 

A.J.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, mk11 said:

Here's the general front suspension layout for the single I-beam/leaf spring setup that Ford used on the light trucks until '64 (from the Carpenter '57-'66 catalog)

 

 

Excellent reference material mk11. Correct up to '64 F100 and F 250 2WD pickups, however Ford  continued to use solid  front axles on '65 and '66 F 350 pickups ( with 9' beds ) and chassis cabs. A good heavy duty solid axle  3/4 ton or 1 ton frame really does not exist in plastic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Tom. With Steve's inspiring 'nth degree' detailing habit, it's worth trying to help get the right info  ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've started a '60 Ford F100 chassis swap using the Revell "old tool" '56 F100 chassis. '56 and '60 are same wheelbase and ladder design. I'm not home so no photos, sorry. Try a quick mockup to see what I'm talking about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In all honesty, I think you should just abandon this foolishness all together and send it to me. I'll spare you the anguish of the project

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...