Model Cars Magazine Forum

72 Challenger

Hard_2_Handle_454

Talk about polishing a turd.  My dad got me this for Christmas and, if anyone knows me, I like stock vehicles.  The Lindberg kit here is not stock.  I ordered a Hart's Parts resin hood and got the stripes from eBay.  I came out descent, but this kit is a nightmare of issues.  The chassis is smaller than the body!  I had to apply the glue and hold the body on the chassis for an hour to get it to stay on!  The tail lights look horrible, the hood was glued shut because the engine wasn't stock, and I hate that there were no side mirrors.  My stripes were also the wrong scale and I had to trim them.  The sides are also wrong which caused an issue with the stripes as well.

40571191933_5c20a70a0a_k.jpgSAM_0447 by Eric Lucas, on Flickr

40571189213_4bed60cba3_k.jpgSAM_0448 by Eric Lucas, on Flickr

40571186863_00ca88125e_k.jpgSAM_0449 by Eric Lucas, on Flickr

You made that one look good! The proportions of the body are accurate in that kit (which is nearly miraculous, considering that it's an ex-Palmer tool), but the details are a little soft. Still, not a bad start with that kit if you want to build a drag car and/or throw another kit under it (for instance: AMT or Revell chassis & engine).

The only other game in town for these Challengers ('72-'74) are the old MPC Annuals, which are getting pricy, and, truth to be told, the chassis and engines in those are hardly any better.  

4 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

You made that one look good! The proportions of the body are accurate in that kit (which is nearly miraculous, considering that it's an ex-Palmer tool), but the details are a little soft. Still, not a bad start with that kit if you want to build a drag car and/or throw another kit under it (for instance: AMT or Revell chassis & engine).

The only other game in town for these Challengers ('72-'74) are the old MPC Annuals, which are getting pricy, and, truth to be told, the chassis and engines in those are hardly any better.  

Here's another one.....in 1/24 scale, put out by ARII:

arii-1973-dodge-challenger.jpg

Don't know anything about this kit, but I have a '72 Mustang kit in the same series. The Mustang seems to be MUCH bigger than 1/25 AMT and MPC Mustang kits, which makes me wonder if the 1/24 scale callout is incorrect.

28 minutes ago, Bucky said:

Don't know anything about this kit, but I have a '72 Mustang kit in the same series. The Mustang seems to be MUCH bigger than 1/25 AMT and MPC Mustang kits, which makes me wonder if the 1/24 scale callout is incorrect.

Don’t spend big bucks on that one. The Lindberg/ Palmer one is superior to the old ARII tool. It sort of looks like a Challenger. Years ago, I briefly flirted with the idea of throwing a Monogram ‘70 Challenger chassis and interior under one of these and then thought better of it. 

5 hours ago, Bucky said:

I saw it when it first came out, but they were always super expensive.  Plus, like the other comment said, ARII kits are OK, but not that great either.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought this kit years ago to replicate my fathers 1:1 since it was the only kit I was aware of to offer the ‘73 Challenger body. Don’t think I paid more than $15 for it from HLJ.

The thing about this kit is that it was designed primarily as a toy and accuracy is not its strong point. 

Nice work all the same, especially overcoming the issues you described.