Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO 2020: International Paystar tractor

So while waiting for the 4300 parts I went through the old built ups once again and picked this one out. Super clean and next to no glue or paint used. In fact, after a few hrs at the bench it was almost completely blown apart. So while I start the prep and primer stage I will be thinking of what color I want it. Hmmmm.....

20999.jpeg

20190403_122640.jpg

So I think I figured out what direction I am going with this finally. The dump box really wasn't working for me, so I am putting a fifth wheel on it, changing out the wheels and tires, maybe modifying the front bumper, and oh yea, it's going to be yellow. 

20190407_150832.jpg

Edited by Sam I Am

23 hours ago, TECHMAN said:

:):):)

Good progress....  What kind of trailer are you gonna mate this up to Sam?

DJ

Funny you should ask...I happen to have this in a box of trailer parts, and since it's yellow, and I have never done a real wood deck....

20190410_144210.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So with work picking up and yard work needing done now that we have dried out, I finally took some time for the bench. After gluing the 

loose spots on the frame I changed it over to saddle tanks. I also repaired the broken front axle, sorted out the wheels and tires I want to use, and painted them up. Since I could not remove the grille from the fender assembly, I stripped the chrome and put bmf under the satin black, something I have never tried before. Still lots to sort out on the chassis and clean up before paint but it felt good to sit down at the bench again.

20190428_210050.jpg

20190428_210002.jpg

20190428_210143.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cool project. As for the real wood deck, it's very easy with this trailer. I took one of the kit's "wood deck" pieces with me to Michael's since they sell wood strips by Revell. I don't have a measurement or part #, though. I just matched it up with what was there. This is how mine turned out:

100_3783-vi.jpg

woodendeckforlowboy-vi.jpg

10 hours ago, bigred63 said:

Nice, I like the wood you used, it makes the trailer come more to life. You have a pictures of your winch rack?

Here are some progress pix of the winch tower. The winch itself, and the upper section of the tower  is from an amt Pete wrecker kit. The top part is a cut down section of a ramp from a Revell of Germany car carrier trailer. The rest is just sprue.

100_3639-vi.jpg

100_3645-vi.jpg

100_3646-vi.jpg

Paystarwinchinstalled-vi.jpg

The beacon lights are from Auslowe.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok, bumping this rebuild project to BRBO status. Still looking for the rest of the lowboy pieces. I wont be able to go to a craft store and look for wood for the decking for awhile yet but I have plenty to keep me busy in the meantime. 

20191228_111304.jpg