Model Cars Magazine Forum

1975 Duster ProMod- scratchbuilt

Hi!

A few pix from a Duster promod I just finished. Body from Mongoose's F/C with front end separated. Opened ds door. Matt Hayes floorpan + Larry Minor T/F engine & blower + rear end, with Lenco trans. All the rest (and I mean ALL) is scartchbuilt. Alclad chrome on WHITE enamel base (less dark). Tamya's TS-87 with candy orange on top, to get that "cognac" tint. Home-made decals & graphics (car is named ARROGANCE... since these monster motors look just arrogant, don't they?...)

Enjoy!

CT

70 arrogance 4 (2).jpg

70 arrogance 5.jpg

70 arrogance 1.jpg

70 arrogance 3.jpg

Hi!

The rear spoiler was made using a discarted plastic "cartridge" of Gilette Trac-II blades. Once you sand off the exterior "walls", the perfectly spaced vertical dividers spare you the agony of aligning wing blades in symetry, and the risk of glue joints showing. And it's akin to styrene, so easy to glue mounting brackets and paint. 

Same use on this Nova Pro-Stock...

CT

DSCF3052.JPG

Hi!

Thank you for the comments. 

B-Ram, don't you dare switch hobby! The goal is to have fun, and inspire each-other. 

Drag Racer: for the radiator, I guess you are right, but I did not have a copy of the rule book for reference. Stange to want to cool an engine when you live in the Great White North like me, eh? Just an urge to scratch built a Griffin, I guess. 

The paint is Tamya's TS-87 Titanium gold, with ONE light coat of Tamya's Clear Orange. Light coat is the goal here. That leaves that amber shade that I was looking for. 

The central roll cage is separate from the platform, as is the underfloor "spine" that connects the rear suspension to the front engine cradle- IFS. Allows for easier final assembly and sprinkling of ancillary components trough the car, like pedals, master cylinders for brake & clutch, not talking about hoses and wires that remain a chore anyway. . 

CT

DSCF3728.JPG

• Like 1

Hi guys!

Thank you all for the kind words. To Speedfreak point... I guess about 250 hours total. Here are some pictures of the major components before paint, finishing and assembly. Sorry for my photo skills, who need improvement!

As for the colors, I wanted a "warm" palette. The gloss on the roll cage is not as vivid as I wanted, next time I will try Krylon, who remains wet look better than Testor's enamel.

CT

DSCF3549.JPG

DSCF3556.JPG

DSCF3560.JPG