Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Lil' Hot Dogger Showrod

CabDriver

MY wife got me this for Christmas (good wife!!):

2v2EYtT7zxue8Lf.jpg

Make a little start on it this week - tidying up some parts for primer, and so on.  Started with the engine, as is tradition:

2v2EYtTDGxue8Lf.jpg

Modified the intakes a tiny bit to make room for a resin distributor mount from RMCoM:

2v2EYtTmqxue8Lf.jpg

Assembled the chassis (which wasn't a huge job seeing as this step is only two pieces :D )

2v2EYtTs2xue8Lf.jpg

And re-made the floor part because the kit one had some HUGE ejector pin marks in it...it was easier just to cut another one out of some styrene sheet:

2v2EYtTiUxue8Lf.jpg

Anyone built one of these?  Anything to watch out for?

More soon!

• 4 weeks later...

A little update - got a bunch of chassis pieces painted...I used Createx sealer, Tamiya Chrome and then Tamiya Clear Red - love the look of these!

2v2EPfJ45xue8Lf.jpg
2v2EPfJmNxue8Lf.jpg
2v2EPfJTrxue8Lf.jpg

Whilst I'm waiting for those to dry I shot the little canopy that mounts to the front of the cab with some Createx Opaque white and Opaque red - I'll hit this with some matt clear when it's dry to make the finishes consistent and make it look fabric-y:

2v2EPfp2Fxue8Lf.jpg

And after cleaning up all the ejector pin marks and shooting some sealer I started the paint on the wooden cab pieces that make up the doghouse - I've got a specific idea of how I want this to look, and it'll take a few steps, but for the first one I shot some Createx Transparent Red. More on that soon!

2v2EPf8Pdxue8Lf.jpg

Thanks for looking fellas! :D

Thanks Vincent!

Started doing some assembly on the engine today...love the look of the shiny chrome with that candy red block and trans!

2v2EPNo4dxue8Lf.jpg
2v2EPNoiMxue8Lf.jpg

I had to sand smooth and BMF the air filter to get it perfect and remove some mold lines -  the BMF covered it perfectly!

2v2EPNomyxue8Lf.jpg
2v2EPNoRNxue8Lf.jpg

More soon!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks fellas!  Got a little sidetracked on this one - we had visitors the last few weeks, but I'm back at it now I've got some time again...

Got the engine finished - used some watch parts to make some pulleys for the engine and used some dark grey Washi tape for a fanbelt, and made a distributor so I could wire it:

2v2E4T5pdxue8Lf.jpg

Found some springs to replace these things...

2v2EmtN3jxue8Lf.jpg

...with these things:

2v2E4TF8gxue8Lf.jpg

And same for the rear:

2v2EmBjALxue8Lf.jpg

The kit axles are both chromed, but the flash and mold lines were so nasty I decided to strip them, shoot them silver and hit them with candy red to match the chassis.  I think they look pretty cool!

2v2Em6pYNxue8Lf.jpg

Still some parts to paint (the suspension linkage arms had the same mold lines and imperfections as the axles so they'v been stripped so I can redo them too) but it's getting close to being a roller!

More soon!

Had some more time to work on this in the past week or so - got the suspension finished up and got it into a roller:

2v2Emm6MMxue8Lf.jpg

Got the metal grills painted on the dog-house body panels:

2v2ETTbS2xue8Lf.jpg

Used some BMF for the dash and flowed some thinned Createx paint in there for the gauges:

2v2ETTcygxue8Lf.jpg

And today I spent some time putting the body together:

2v2ETCgzHxue8Lf.jpg

2v2ETCWRaxue8Lf.jpg

And by this point it was nearly time to assemble it for good!  Got the Moon tank and the grill in there, with a watch-winder for a cap for the radiator (excuse the fingerprints):

2v2ETCG9Fxue8Lf.jpg

Got the body on the frame:

2v2ETCGj2xue8Lf.jpg

Got the canopy mounted above the windshield, and added the steering rack (which I detailed up with some mini rubber o-rings that Eric Ritz put me onto):

2v2ETWwy8xue8Lf.jpg

And it's almost done!  Next pics will probably be of it finished, as long as I don't drop it or something! :D

Oh, and what krazy kustom dog catcher would be komplete without a kustom-painted kandy fire-hydrant to go with it! :D

2v2Emmtvvxue8Lf.jpg

More soon! :D