Model Cars Magazine Forum

Torsion bar rear suspension questions

I have been searching the archives for any discussions on this suspension and have found lots of info on the plastic version but nothing really touched what I was wondering about. 

My questions are, what years was this available on the 1:1s, and was it a Kenworth only suspension or was it industry wide? 

With all the different early trucks available now in resin I was wondering if that suspension would be period correct on other trucks than a Kenworth. 

Thanks!

As far as I know the rear torsion bar suspension was Kenworth only as I haven't seen it on any other trucks.
I don't know exactly when it came, probably sometime in the 50's, but it was available up to the late 70's when air ride became more popular.

Edited by Force

The Kenworth Torsion Bar suspension was available from ‘56 through to ‘76 at least , probably a few went out after but in teams of what I have in literature as available. It did change a lot during its production run , predominantly in how the bars were mounted! Most of the Kenworth model trucks still available would have had the torsion bar suspension as an available option. It was a Kenworth only deal although it is possible that someone could have mounted it on a glider kit from another truck manufacturer, so technically you could build a truck model other than a Kenworth with it but it would not have been a common thing to see in real life.

Edited by PettyKW43