Model Cars Magazine Forum

Custom Avanti INVERSO concept

Claude Thibodeau

Hi!

I was a fan of the Lincoln X Concept car rear end styling, based on the 2005 TBird platform. I noticed that I could recreate the same style using the Avanti, but modified to a roadster, and reconfigured front end backward(!). Lots of slicing and finishing, but the end result is amusing. I call it the Avanti Inverso. 

See if you can spot: The Dodge Challenger hood,  the 60 Styline Galaxie optional custom rear end used as a grille, and the Dodge Concept car (AKA Copperhead) interior, windshield & rear deck, and the Foose Eldorod rolling stock... The rest is fromt the AMT Avanti, albeit very modified. 

Just a curbside to fight the winter blues...

CT

DSCF3769 (2).JPG

DSCF3770 (2).JPG

DSCF3774 (2).JPG

DSCF3777 (2).JPG

DSCF3776 (2).JPG

Brilliant! Very effective re-design and exceptionally clean execution..I'm seeing a little Porsche 924 in the nose, too. Neato! That Copperhead interior looks very natural in the Avanti, which is surprising.

Hi!

Thank you for the comments.

The hardest part was the doors and doors cut lines. On this actual AMT kit, the doors opened, which was a rare occurrence on a kit of this era! They are quite bulky, and were glued shut, filled smooth, and new door lines were traced. As you may know, scribing  a smooth and consistent door line in a surface that alternate from styrene to catalized putty under a thin coat of primer is nerve wrecking.

The rear quarter panel was pie-sliced, lowered, aligned and filled as well. It is now the front fender, of course. Would have been too tall and thick if left as is. 

Hours of fun with styrene, that's the goal, right?

CT

DSCF3773 (2).JPG

Hi 89AKurt!

Well, actually, I tried to avoid panel joints other than the joints you see on the car: hood, trunk lid, etc. And since some of those had styrene glue a the bottom of the seraration lines between panels, it made for soft plastic when I accent-scribed the lines prior to primer & paint... Had to finesse them, and it wore my nerves. With a curbside model, there is a certain amount of hours you should not reasonnably exceed, isn'it? 

Being a Boomer, I am partial to the "blade" school of design so prevalent in 60's cars (67 Eldo, 66 Riv, etc.). The front blades of the Avanti tickled me, and mooving them to the back end allowed the blade style, as on the Lincoln X concept of a few years ago. So the general mess-up of the standard Avanti was at no moment a source of "WIP Anxiety"...

Besides, I think I will eventually move the tires outward a bit. They are fine for a 60's car, as was the style back then. But in 2019, our eye expect tires and wheels almost flush with the wheelwell openings, as on BMW's and Audis. We'll see...

CT

DSCF3776 (2).JPG

Absolutely outstanding! Too bad the old Car Model Custom Contest isn't around anymore. This would have been a sure winner, and I don't see much in the design that Mark Gustavson could have nitpicked! VERY well done and model on! B)

Hi!

Thank you for the comments, guys!

And to Snake 45 suggestion that Mr. Gustafson would "approve"... I have my doubts about that! He has an eagle eye for design proportions, although I don't always agree with his comments. But I would be curious to submit this curbside to his critique.

Had I disposed of two Avanti kits at the time, I would have grafted two rear ends together mid-door, since I favor the blade design first and foremost. Then maybee drop the standard hood lower and move the headlights to the front bumper. Might have been les "balanced" that way, however...

Maybe next time!

CT