Model Cars Magazine Forum

What are your other hobbies??

LOBBS

While I pursue none of these hobbies extensively, I do collect coins (Silver Eagles, Morgans, NGC graded/slabbed coins), John Deere “stuff”, '60's comic books (mostly war related), both 1984 and Slow Death magazines, and toys from when I was a kid.

Aside from these, my major passion (addiction) is,… books. Mostly, but not all of a military nature, and at present I have way more than makes sense or is even remotely sane.

Those old LS weapons are very cool. I had the .357 Colt Python and P.08, as well as the P.38. I still intend to add the grenade sets to my stash too, some day.

I WISH I had the Python. (I have two real ones). Would make a great wallhanger.

The box I posted, I bought that at a yard sale just a couple years ago. He had the P.08 too, but when I decided I wanted it and went back, of course it was gone. I talked him down to $25. The built one, I bought (as a kit) around 1971 or '72 at a hobby shop. It cost $5. That was a LOT of money for a plastic kit of any kind at that time. Car kits were typically $2, and could be had at discount houses for $1.50 or so. I can't think of ANY model airplane of that time that cost $5, except maybe the Monogram Phantom Mustang.

Besides model building of ALL types, my other hobbies are old cars and trucks, motorcycling, hunting, shooting, gun collecting, my dogs, and most importantly, my family. I am a compulsive collector. I have large collections of toys, probably two thousand books on history, vehicles and guns, and a huge gun collection. FINALLY got rid of most of my vehicle collection when I moved and simply didn't have room in the new garage, (old one was 50 x 100......new one isn't close to that!). Life is too short......no where near enough time OR money!

• 2 weeks later...

Other hobbies. Hmmm let me think.

I have always had a piano accordion but have never really learned to play it. In fact I have 4 of them from a large 120 base to a toy button accordion and a Honer student but my favourite is an Italian 80 base.

One day I hope to play it as when caressing the keys is like dancing with a beautiful woman.

I like drawing. here's some of my works. just some learning work from a Japan artist.

I also love guitars.. I have a little old squire 0912. I love rock, Led Zeppelin, Guns n roses, Eric Clapton, Oasis and so on.

but I can't play guitar.. even though I used to take guitar lessons for a while, but still.. I cannot.<_<

fa0cd42a2834349bcb02f106cdea15ce37d3becb.jpg

6c3ab051f81986182774c0ca49ed2e738bd4e66a.jpg

7439972bd40735fa6653f97f9c510fb30e240872.jpg

I like drawing. here's some of my works. just some learning work from a Japan artist.

I also love guitars.. I have a little old squire 0912. I love rock, Led Zeppelin, Guns n roses, Eric Clapton, Oasis and so on.

but I can't play guitar.. even though I used to take guitar lessons for a while, but still.. I cannot.<_<

Nice Draqings. You do have a talent for Drawing.

I nonchalantly collect old coins. Mostly if I happen to come across them. 

I also work on real full sized cars. Here's examples of some of my piles...

My '88 Mustang LX before..

The same car, and about 8 years later... LOL

My '93 Lincoln Mark VIII

Before

After a deer

After I put it back together again...

Then decided to take it apart again to make it go faster... and it's still apart. 

I have a few more mustangs but no drastic changes to them.

I also do the guitar thing occasionally. But I'm so a.d.d. on my hobbies I dont spend enough time to be any good. but I like em. So I have a collection of musical stuff..

The guitars in this pic arent mine (this is at my friends house) but the two peavey cabinets and Penta head are mine

My 60s tribute gibson les paul and my 40's gibson jazz box

A cheap squire bullet I got for free. Plays well

I also really like welding stuff

I really like playing video games as well. I'm 29 so I grew up in an age where technology didnt completely rule your daily life, but it was starting to... I still have my Nintendo NES, my Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn, Sega Gamegear/Sega Nomad/Sega 32X, PS1/PS2/PS3, now playing a PS4... loving it. 

I also used to play roadie for a local band for about 6 years. Not so much anymore... getting older and fatter sucks lol

I also used to draw a lot as well when I was young. No time for that stuff anymore it seems.

Over the years I have had a lot of hobbies including my model car building of course.When not building I have been I life long collector of a lot of different stuff like rocks, indian arrow and spear points,stamps,and toys including marbles,cracker jack prizes,early metal toy soldiers,figures including but not limited to comic book and funny paper characters,tops,Archer spacemen with their accessories,cowboys and indians,balsa wood glider airplanes to name some of my intrests.

My wife of over 50 years and I have a house full of antique furniture that we refinished our selves,Family heirloom pieces,and we have helped friends refinish their antiques as well.I own and drive a real 1948 Chevy sedan.It sits very low permanently only skimming along at 2"off the pavement.It's painted '95 Chrysler ice blue metallic with peral added,has all of it's original chrome,a sunvisor,dual turn down spots,runs a '53 Chevy 235.5 CID six cyl with a Wayne head,a 3/4 race cam,split manifold,duals with glass pack mufflers.It's just plan fun to drive,three on the tree shifting,no power steering,etc.

In my spare time(?) I also create 3D art by having imultiple copies of neat mages printed on heavy photo paper stock then cutting them out with exacto knives,eleminating back grounds and stacking the layers up on top of each with 1/16"thick seperator layers other thus creating a 3D image.I use vintage photos a lot especially those of antique motorcycles,hot rods,pinstriped posters,and early comic book covers from the '30's,40's and '50's.I have one that is 25 layers deep of a Harley Dealersihp from the mid '30's that shows 22 bikes on  display.I do this same thing with Christmas card images and sometimes use them as gifts for family and friends.

Needless to say these things fill the void left over by being completely dis-intrested in television ,sports or politics.It's a great life!!

on the side, i really enjoy coffee roasting. recently have been to a few coffee plantations in South America where i purchased 3 quintals of coffee from various farmers. had them shipped to Lima, Peru to my roasting facility. (i spend 6 months of the year in Peru). nothing quite like the smell of coffee being roasted.

IMG_3419.JPG

Beside model cars. I collect books, magazines, and original sales literature on cars. I'm also a big fan of Star Trek. Mainly the original series. But, I like the later stuff too. I'm into Silver Age comic books. Mainly Batman and other DCs. I love old movies. Especially early science fiction. I'm also into just about anything dealing with James Bond or Sherlock Holmes. I'm big fan of the Three Stooges and the Marx Brothers. So I have just about every Bond, Stooges, and Marx Bros. movie there is in my collection. I also love toys and TV shows from mainly the 1960's. I have tons of books and DVDs, mainly on the above subjects.

I'm also into trains. I especially love the streamline passenger trains of the post-war period, through the 1950's. I have a small collection of N-scale stuff. I have two full consists for the Great Northern Empire Builder. One Kato. One Con-Cor. The trouble is, I have no place to set up a layout. Especially one that will work well with passenger trains. But, still I collect the stuff.

I love history, especially automotive. Enough to build my own Bachelor degree in it. But, I'm interested all forms of history. If were younger and still in school, I would go on for my teaching license. Then hopefully go into teaching in the area of high school Humanties. Though I could do high school English Literature too.

I've written for a few magazines over the years. Mainly for club publications on automobiles. I had a regular monthly column in the Minnesota Street Rod Association's magazine, the LineChaser for just over twenty years. I may go back to it again someday.

So do I have any hobbies beyond model car building and collecting? I guess I do.