Model Cars Magazine Forum

What are your other hobbies??

LOBBS

I got really into Madden '08 for PC when I was away from models for awhile. I'm not a button mashing kid anymore so I played alot of franchise (run a team for 30 seasons) in coach mode (only call the plays, no control over players). There's an equally fervent lunatic fringe for modding Madden PC so there are no shortage of add-ons and utilities that add a ton of depth to the game. I got into creating some custom uniforms and even wrote some of my own utilities. With all of that it kind of developed into a hobby rather than just a game.

My custom Chiefs uniforms I use in my franchise

screen0044.jpg

screen0026.jpg

Anyways, I was just curious as to what other activities grab your attention.

Edited by LOBBS

:( Other than reading(anything), models, honey-do stuff, not a whole lot. Gave my Camaro to my daughter just to clean out my garage, so I don't have it to mess with anymore.Basically nuthin.I'm tryin to get this golf thing down caz I'm gettin really bored sittin around all day. Maybe the walkin will do me some good. :(

other then models I am into Video Games although you can't really call that a hobby. I am really into Nascar Racing 2003. which is by far the most realistic NASCAR video game out there. plus I can continue to update it. right now I have full fields of 2008 Sprint Cup, 2008 Nationwide, and 2008 Craftsman Truck series. plus I paint some of my own cars for the game.

I'm also a closet Matchbox and Hot Wheels collector. I don't spend all my free time trying to find cars like some people I see and read about online.. but If I see a car I like i'll pick it up. I have mostly Matchbox.

I'm also looking into getting into R/C. looking at a Traxxas Slash (electric) right now as my first hardcore R/C car.

I spend a lot of time at work and taking care of my two little ones. I used to play a lot of video games but I don't really do that so much anymore. So for about the past six years I've been record collecting. Yes they do still press a lot of stuff on vinyl. Cd's are convienient but I love the crackle, pop, and white noise that you get when listening to an LP. My collection is well over 1,000 now with lots of stuff that not a lot of other people probably care about. I don't just stick em on a shelf either. Records are made to be listened too, no matter how valuable. The prize of my collection would have to be my mint original pressing of "London Calling" by the Clash. I had it autographed by the late Joe Strummer about two years before his passing. It's a fun a hobby. -Will

my other hobbies are playing with my nitro RC , fourwheeling and dirtbiking , and going to watch my uncles and dad dragrace in norwalk , ohio . which i will be doing next weekend hopefully i will be able to jump in one of the cars and go down the track .

Edited by kjadud0667

If I'm not playing with 1:1 cars and bikes, I longboard - though I'm regarded by many to be too old for it!

Just completed a 26 mile charity marathon around The Goodwood race circuit! ;)

100808_2327.jpg

I'm off on The Crumball Rally tomorrow and I'm hoping to be brave enough to skate some of Stelvio Pass!!!!!

Edited by duffer

Besides modeling, well it is my main hobby. I do love to get out and take pictures of, yes, cars.

When the winter comes I break out the PS2 and play only Gran Turismo. I suspect when GT5 comes out and is bundled with the PS3 I'll be on that too.

Lastly, my sons and getting them ready for life. My oldest is already being wooed by Universities due to some testing he took. I'm excited about his future and his brothers. He still has two years of high school left and we're already trying to get college stuff lined up for him. Better to be ahead than behind.

The other two have expressed an interest in Military and Automotive field.

Three boys keep me busy and as short as life is I try to do what I can with them. Certainly no other hobby is better than kids....

Chris

Other than collect and start models, I play games on both the PC and PS3, mostly sci-fi, strategy and race with a few fantasy and shooters mixed in (PS3 name is same: torinobradley), running around with my 7 year old who is now into car shows, monster trucks and card games, I also collect die cast from little bitty ones up to the 1:18th. Remodeling the house as my wife's whim, keeping up with a couple of rentals, making props for Halloween (yea, I'm the scary house in the neighborhood), working on my 1:1s (Chry Van, F150, Focus and 68 Torino).

I used to collect non-sport cards, comics, collect and play Magic and a couple other card games, board and role playing games, and just neet-o odds and ends.

Oh, and keeping up with all you fine folk and the wonderfull work you do...

Other hobbies!?! Who has time for other hobbies!?! You mean to tell me that model cars aren't all you do or think about, besides family, kids and work, of course? Apparently you all lack dedication. ;)

I like to fish, but I haven't been in years.

I love to snowboard, but I haven't done that in years either.

I LOVE my 1 year old son and I get hang out with him every day.

Oh, yea, Fishing... Seems that me and all my fishing buddies are all in the same boat when it comes to time to go fishing... Where we used to have time to go a few times a year, now we go every few years... That's okay though. My son is starting to get into it so I am sure I will be going more and more as time goes on. Just with a new fishing buddy...

Obviously I collect and build model cars. When not building (most every evening), I am working, eating, sleeping, golfing or working on or driving my MGA and current restoration of my MGB. There is nothing else in my life other than the wife and grown-up kids. Oh yeah, the cats get a little time too. That’s it, boring and very repetitive.

:blink:;) ;) Harry

Michael, those Gundam models are pretty sweet

I like BMX wanting to get one soon, RC's..in the process of building a trail truck, slot cars, SCCA, going to hillclimbs, rallies, vintage car events, racing on my 360, haven't gone online yet but can't wait for RacePro to come out and like the WWII and Vietnam war games, right now GRID, DiRT, Forza 2 is good for me, sometimes skateboard but really am not that great, playing with dogs, models, hangin out with the old farts..hey they got the best stories and they are fun to hang out with!, working on my dad's 1959 (1960) Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite, reading

other then models I am into Video Games although you can't really call that a hobby. I am really into Nascar Racing 2003. which is by far the most realistic NASCAR video game out there. plus I can continue to update it. right now I have full fields of 2008 Sprint Cup, 2008 Nationwide, and 2008 Craftsman Truck series. plus I paint some of my own cars for the game.

I'm also a closet Matchbox and Hot Wheels collector. I don't spend all my free time trying to find cars like some people I see and read about online.. but If I see a car I like i'll pick it up. I have mostly Matchbox.

I'm also looking into getting into R/C. looking at a Traxxas Slash (electric) right now as my first hardcore R/C car.

It is a PERFECT truck to get you started, all new chassis and realistic performance, great starter, I wouldn't mind getting one. I heard that game is the best and most fun, but not for consoles.

If I'm not playing with 1:1 cars and bikes, I longboard - though I'm regarded by many to be too old for it!

Just completed a 26 mile charity marathon around The Goodwood race circuit! :(

100808_2327.jpg

I'm off on The Crumball Rally tomorrow and I'm hoping to be brave enough to skate some of Stelvio Pass!!!!!

NICE!

Edited by Nick F40

With Car models of course being one but right behind in no order, I enjoy military history ( transportation & supply vehicles & WW2 Railroad guns), reading, have a large HO Train layout, old car magazines, messing around with my '71 Maverick hot rod, adding more custom stuff on my '05 Ford Ranger Edge PU, going to car museums, collecting M&Ms stuff, checking out my original '60s GI Joe collection, collecting 1/87 to 1/18th diecast & plastic vehicles ( over 4,000), messing with my 1/87th civil war diorama and a bunch of other stuff that I really don't have the time for anymore and of course, nothing better than a good stuffed leather recliner chair and something to read! ;)

Yeppers, there is indeed a life after model car building! B) Can't y'all tell I'm not married anymore?? :lol:;)

~ Jeff

Eh... I kinda get hooked on everything I try, and I have tried a lot of different hobbies. Right now, my major obsessions are:

-Cars. Got a '69 Chevelle, and a 383 project engine in the stand. Not sure if the two will ever meet

-Woodworking. The sawdust in the basement is a great excuse for not building models

-Home improvement. Everything just takes forever when you're never home, so my wife says: "Never mind the savings, hire a frickin' contractor and git-r-done!"

-R/C cars. Almost gave up on this after realizing how fragile they are if I drive them the way I think they should be driven

-Computer gaming, mainly CoD4. I love to sit down in the evening for an hour or two of mindless killing

-Guns. Buy them, look at them, take them apart, put them back together again, cuddle with them. I even shoot them now and then.

So there's my excuses for not building models.

Im a freelance writer as well as a professional modelbuilder. I got into modelbuilding as a result of wanting to own certain cars. Still, I enjoy archecture, history, old cameras, old advertising, art exibits and an ocasional baseball outing. Espesially when the Texas Rangers are winning too. Ed Shaver

RETIRED - AND LOVIN' IT :rolleyes:

I'm enjoying the freedom that retirement brings. Alot of new things I want to do, and some I am already doing. I'm still very young and healthy. Now I'm not tied to a committment or routine.

I've always had a passion for art and restoring things like cars, antique furniture, and restoring very old two story houses with character and personality. My artistic passion I now express in my model building. So much fun.

In restoring, now I enjoy working with the poor and homeless, helping restore their lives, collecting food, clothing, bedding and mentoring at a local men's mission, where their goal there is to restore these men to wholeness again and to healthy self suffeciency.

I belong to a couple of model clubs and we just had our summer b-b-q. Lot's of great food and friends.

I read quite a bit at times - mostly mens books on self-improvement and self-awareness.

I have really good friends I love to spend time with and eat good food YUM :blink: , tell lies and laugh a lot. They're great! -

Other days my hobby is just being lazy - :rolleyes: LOL

I just bought some pattern wood and fiberglass resin and matt, to totally build a model from "The real scratch" like when I was a pattern maker - in my other life :blink: LOL.

My big next non-model goal to do in the next couple of years, is to go to Ireland on vacation for a month. I'm part Irish.

Edited by Treehugger Dave